Gen 2 rear wheel making weird chirping noise

Zee

Registered
Hi everyone. So I have a gen 2 (2017) 6400 miles on it stock everything and do all the regular maintenance. Normal rider never abuse my bike. Just today when I put her up on the rear stand to clean the chain, i notice the chirping noise coming out of it if i move the tire in fwd direction. Does anyone here got any idea what it could be?
Chirping noise
Chirping noise (video of noise)

it was not here till last sunday either. And i just took her out today for a normal 1 hour ride and this happened :(
Didnt hit any bump or anything etc

@Zee

have a look at the outer sealing at the drum at 1st pic.
little hint ;) : a drop of oil between swing arm and seal stopped the noise. ;)

i already had that (your) noise at a K8 with ~ 39 000 km / 24 000 mi where the bearing cage was broken.
see how far the sealing was pressed out by the rounds of the bearing.

K8%20Radlager%20hi%20bei%2038.721_1.jpg

K8%20Radlager%20hi%20bei%2038.721_2.jpg

K8%20Radlager%20hi%20bei%2038.721_3.jpg

I had the same sounds on Lucy. Pulled the rear wheel off and one of the bearings fell out in pieces.

at what milage ca. ?

and @Zee

when your´e at the rear wheel renew the rear rim´s bearings too !

AND

at the same time have a look for the front bearings, because that´s what i found ~ 1000 km before i took the (rear) pics - my post above.

inside the front rim
rust everywhere and a stench like from the sewer !
i was very near to puke.

K8%20Radlager%20vo%20bei%2037.280_2.jpg

damn fuggin´ only one side original metal sealed bearings

never again put in those originals - allways use the double side rubber sealed bearings
at front AND rear.

and @Zee

when your´e at the rear wheel renew the rear rim´s bearings too !

AND

at the same time have a look for the front bearings, because that´s what i found ~ 1000 km before i took the (rear) pics - my post above.

inside the front rim
rust everywhere and a stench like from the sewer !
i was very near to puke.

View attachment 1626845

damn fuggin´ only one side original metal sealed bearings

never again put in those originals - allways use the double side rubber sealed bearings
at front AND rear.
Did that bike get ridden in the ocean?? Must have been lots of riding in the rain to defeat the seals like that.

Did that bike get ridden in the ocean?? Must have been lots of riding in the rain to defeat the seals like that.
Not at all. I just clean her last sunday and every thing was good. Took her out yesterday for a ride after a week and this happened

@Zee

have a look at the outer sealing at the drum at 1st pic.
little hint ;) : a drop of oil between swing arm and seal stopped the noise. ;)

i already had that (your) noise at a K8 with ~ 39 000 km / 24 000 mi where the bearing cage was broken.
see how far the sealing was pressed out by the rounds of the bearing.

View attachment 1626842

View attachment 1626843

View attachment 1626844

at what milage ca. ?
What was the reason? Even tho i just have 6400 miles on it. Never saw something like this in such low mileage

What was the reason? (...)

gooooooooooooooooooooood question

and i have no glue and i won´t get it because
no grass grows outa my pockets. :crazy:

but caused by that fuggly (thanks @rubbersidedown for this famous word creation) happening
i strongly recommend to change all! standard rim/wheel bearings by best double side rubber sealed bearing u can get for money and how less milage ever the bike has.
at least i personally would do that work even at the youngest suzuki modell, typ doesn´t matter,
because suzuki uses these damn bad bearings (one side metal) as far as i know at all models

Reactions: Zee
@Zee I would guess that bearing was installed dry right outa the gate,or was bad.
In Mr.Berlin's pics,I would guess thats the work of a bad seal,one that was damaged on install or the bearing was bad or shiddy and/or install. With the rust in there perhaps the work of a guy with a pressure washer and no common sense.
If you've never done wheel bearings Zee ,or if you want more info,I do a small 10,000 word :laugh: "how to" on bearings click here
Rubb.

Back