Fuel tank has hard greyish bumps all over the inside.

Seafoam (miracle in a can) will not begin to even remove 1% of whatever is in that tank. Those types of products will remove gunk from lines ,injectors etc. They just won't remove the build up I see in that tank.
Could be wrong,
Rubb.
He asked what he should use to remove the GUNK.... thats what seafoam is for. Of course its not to remove the rust or anything related to that!

He asked what he should use to remove the GUNK.... thats what seafoam is for. Of course its not to remove the rust or anything related to that!
I personally wouldn't add anything to the fuel before I took a real close look at what is on the walls of the tank first just in case it reacts to it.

Acetone should dissolve that crud but there may be other not so caustic cleaners out there. I’ve heard good results with Kreem products to clean and coat fuel tanks. Seafoam just helps to keep your fuel system cleaner.

Acetone should dissolve that crud but there may be other not so caustic cleaners out there. I’ve heard good results with Kreem products to clean and coat fuel tanks. Seafoam just helps to keep your fuel system cleaner.
Acetone may work depending on what shiddy product was used to coat the inside of this tank. I've cleaned tanks with several types of chems.
Really caustic nerve damaging,brain melting things like M.E.K.
For starters I wouldn't panic too bad. This is not the first tank of fuel that has been run thru unless the product was put on the day before your purchase. It is stuck in there good or it would have clogged the krap outa everything by now.
1. Remove it,re-do with Red Kote or similar.
2. Leave it. pretend you didn't see it.
3. Have it pro dip tanked. This will strip everything including the outer paint. An' expensive proposition.
3 is obviously your best option.for now,don't panic. If feeling really uneasy about the whole deal....stick a screwdriver or similar in there and attempt to scratch some off. Report back to us.
Rubb.

Acetone may work depending on what shiddy product was used to coat the inside of this tank. I've cleaned tanks with several types of chems.
Really caustic nerve damaging,brain melting things like M.E.K.
For starters I wouldn't panic too bad. This is not the first tank of fuel that has been run thru unless the product was put on the day before your purchase. It is stuck in there good or it would have clogged the krap outa everything by now.
1. Remove it,re-do with Red Kote or similar.
2. Leave it. pretend you didn't see it.
3. Have it pro dip tanked. This will strip everything including the outer paint. An' expensive proposition.
3 is obviously your best option.for now,don't panic. If feeling really uneasy about the whole deal....stick a screwdriver or similar in there and attempt to scratch some off. Report back to us.
Rubb.
.....now that explains alot to me......

Whats yer quandry me brother?
Rubb.
Spoke to a friend of friend who is a local certified Honda motorcycle mechanic (over 30 yrs). He said from his experience it looks like the previous owner had a corrosion issue.

They did a shitty job trying to remove the rust before applying a tank liner. Did a shitty tank liner job. Said if I don't see any signs of flaking or residue floating around no need to act right away. Said drive it then when the season is done remove tank and deal with the issue.

He did recommended himself or another professional fix the problem. I know there are lots of products out there and are straight forward to use. Gonna get a few qoutes and time frame from local shops.

Spoke to a friend of friend who is a local certified Honda motorcycle mechanic (over 30 yrs). He said from his experience it looks like the previous owner had a corrosion issue.

They did a shitty job trying to remove the rust before applying a tank liner. Did a shitty tank liner job. Said if I don't see any signs of flaking or residue floating around no need to act right away. Said drive it then when the season is done remove tank and deal with the issue.

He did recommended himself or another professional fix the problem. I know there are lots of products out there and are straight forward to use. Gonna get a few qoutes and time frame from local shops.
No need to panic right my brother. It's all good. Nothing "life threatening." :D
Now ride and enjoy...
Rubb.

I wouldn’t wait for “signs of flaking or residue floating around” as (that) will cost you more $$$. For a 30 year experienced mechanic that seems to be a stupid suggestion.

No need to panic right my brother. It's all good. Nothing "life threatening." :D
Now ride and enjoy...
Rubb.
Thanks Rubb! Only put 240km on the girl so far. Went for a ride with a buddy who traded a 2018 Ducati Monster 1200r for a 2020 Super sport. Was very impressed how it handled in the twisties for the added weight!
I wouldn’t wait for “signs of flaking or residue floating around” as (that) will cost you more $$$. For a 30 year experienced mechanic that seems to be a stupid suggestion.
Thats why I mentioned getting qoutes from a few shops. Going to explore all options.

What recommendations do you have for products to remove the gunk??
As @Hayabusa Wannabe said that looks like por-15 tank sealer. I have seen it break down when not done right and end up inside carbs of old 3 wheelers. It has to dry for a few days after dealing the tank, unfortunately it's made to stand up to gas and most anything else so getting it out of the tank probably isn't gonna happen. I would check in the fuel filters and run some sea foam thru it just because it obviously sat around but as long as it's running good I wouldn't worry much about it unless u notice it peeling off the tank otherwise your best option will be a new clean tank.

As @Hayabusa Wannabe said that looks like por-15 tank sealer. I have seen it break down when not done right and end up inside carbs of old 3 wheelers. It has to dry for a few days after dealing the tank, unfortunately it's made to stand up to gas and most anything else so getting it out of the tank probably isn't gonna happen. I would check in the fuel filters and run some sea foam thru it just because it obviously sat around but as long as it's running good I wouldn't worry much about it unless u notice it peeling off the tank otherwise your best option will be a new clean tank.
New painted oem tank in canada is almost 1300 from a dealer. Could always fine a used tank and paint it.

@Novabusa1133

as far as i know, your bike´s color should be Candy Sonoma Red / YHL

if your tank was mine, I would look for an other, pre-owned and 100% rust free tank and get it painted.

for inspecting the inner side, there exist very small cameras for the mobile phones at under 15€ - for your issue full sufficient.

the crap you found inside your tank i guess you can´t get out completely (residue-free )
a little bit will stay and after a while this little bit will clog one of your injectors.

did ypou already ask the dealer what he is thinking about this crap?
did he show you the tank´s inside before?
no? kick his ass as hard as possible (verbal) and if he just shrugs his shoulders, ask him what a lawyer will cost him .

or look at the worldwide spanning "electronic bay" for pre-owned.
for example i found your color in the german bay
see Tank Benzintank Kraftstofftank Suzuki GSX 1300 R Hayabusa ABS, WVCK, 13-16 | eBay

Last edited:
Hard to believe that a 2012 bike could develop enough rust inside of the gas tank to require a coating.

I am guessing that your username denotes that you're in Nova Scotia? I suppose the ocean air could have gotten in if the bike was longterm stored outdoors with an empty fuel tank. If it's truly a concern and you just bought the bike, go back to the selling dealer and make some noise about it. Perhaps they'd offer to repair it for free, or at least discount a new tank to cost.

I took it for granted that the bike was suppose to be fully serviced coming from a reputable dealership thats been around since the 80's.

It was also give a new safety inspection sticker. The owner also mentioned he drove it after installing tires on the bike in the Fall before winter time. I should of looked in the gas tank!! It never crossed my mind. I'm sure the dealership is going to tell me its fine and its my problem thats just my gut feeling.

Few people on here and that I contacted told me there is nothing to worry about. Mentioned fuel tanks are lined all the time without perfect preparation.

I like everything to be somewhat normal. More then likely will trailer the bike to another dealership I have faith in and have purchased motorcycles from for their opinion.

Cut the fuel filter in half,see whats in there. Qwik and pain-less put yer mind at ease...needs one anyway.
I would just ride it for now. Por 15/ red Kote type poop has been around for years. They do work. All those lumps and bumps in there was not an' easy removal for a shop or the back yarder. A full boil is the only way to attack that shi7 and even then might not get it all.
I've been forced to cheap out lots of times over the years on my bikes and others when faced with wanting to buy a bike that has this issue.
I've heard of nuts and bolts (the old square ones work best,sharper corners) tied on mechanics wire,or lengths of bike chain,etc tossed into the tank. Tank rinsed really well of course with water,tank then placed amounst pillows and put in a clothes dryer for an hour....shake rattle and roll. Presto,no more rust. :thumbsup: Then methol something or other to remove all water,then a good clean with MEK or similar,then coat. It will last longer than the bike.:thumbsup:
Don't know how I knew this....

Rubb.

Spoke with the owner of the dealership who sold me the bike. He told me when they took the bike in on a trade it was sitting for over a year not being used.

The tank had signs of corrosion starting so at the dealership they lined the tank to prevent any further corrosion. On my last ride the bike had some hesitation when cracking open the throttle. When driving normal the power delivery felt smooth.

Spoke with a suzuki mechanic and he mentioned running injector cleaner through 2 tanks of gas. Have plugs and air filter ordered. Gonna wait to see if that helps. If not its gonna be aftermarket fuel pump and fuel filter mod.

Spoke with the owner of the dealership who sold me the bike. He told me when they took the bike in on a trade it was sitting for over a year not being used.

The tank had signs of corrosion starting so at the dealership they lined the tank to prevent any further corrosion. On my last ride the bike had some hesitation when cracking open the throttle. When driving normal the power delivery felt smooth.

Spoke with a suzuki mechanic and he mentioned running injector cleaner through 2 tanks of gas. Have plugs and air filter ordered. Gonna wait to see if that helps. If not its gonna be aftermarket fuel pump and fuel filter mod.
I've tried them all...Royal Purple,STP,Seafoam,etc etc...over the years.
Maybe consider THIS STUFF
Rubb.

Back