Fuel tank has hard greyish bumps all over the inside.

Novabusa1133

Registered
New to the forum. Bought a used 2012 from a dealership with 17500km, dual slip on Yoshimura r-22 the rest stock.

Dealership installed new tires, oil change and new safety inspection sticker. Went for my first long ride. When I went to stopped for gas I notice the inside of the fuel tank had a greyish coating with bumps all over the inside. The hoses on the inside were coated as well.

Any idea why this is??? I'm used to seeing a smooth clean tank on the inside??

Welcome!

New to the forum. Bought a used 2012 from a dealership with 17500km, dual slip on Yoshimura r-22 the rest stock.

Dealership installed new tires, oil change and new safety inspection sticker. Went for my first long ride. When I went to stopped for gas I notice the inside of the fuel tank had a greyish coating with bumps all over the inside. The hoses on the inside were coated as well.

Any idea why this is??? I'm used to seeing a smooth clean tank on the inside??
Just a guess. The tank may have been neglected at some time. Got rusty. What you're describing sounds like a coating someone may have used to seal off the rust. Personally I would rather have the rust.

Sounds like POR-15 was used to seal a rusting tank, however the experts here likely will know by looking at it.

Welcome Novabusa1133! Cannot wait to see your bike and hear of your biking history and motivation for getting a Hayabusa!

Sounds like it could be a sealant to prevent rusting . . . or worse . . it could be HIDING rust! I'd be taking it back to the dealer you bought it from and asking the senior tech in the workshop what he thinks it is.
How are you enjoying the Busa anyway?
Pics and riding history please!

Riding History is owned a Honda cbr 929rr Erion edition, 954rr, RC51. 04 ,09 Kawasaki zx10r, 06 gixxer 1000, 09 R6. Got out of the biking scene when the core group of riders I rode with moved away.

I bought a used Yamaha Warrior 1700 cruiser thought that may be a good way to get back in the scene. Hated every minute on the bike. Always wanted a Hayabusa so when this bike came up for sale I jumped on the opportunity.

I have never seen a tank inside like this - but you came to the right place. we have many real experts here! I am sure someone will know what that is.

@Kiwi Rider do you know what that is? ever seen something like this?
Looks a lot like corrosion spots (rust) that has been semi-covered with some type of spray on sealant (the grey stuff).
I've never seen the inside of a fuel tank that looks exactly like this, but I have seen the results of a spray sealer that was grey but thicker in the application of it, that's a light coat in those pics.
If it was mine, I'd take a long screwdriver and have a wee scrape at the surface and see how thick that grey coating is and also to see how corroded the surface of the steel actually is.

Looks a lot like corrosion spots (rust) that has been semi-covered with some type of spray on sealant (the grey stuff).
I've never seen the inside of a fuel tank that looks exactly like this, but I have seen the results of a spray sealer that was grey but thicker in the application of it, that's a light coat in those pics.
If it was mine, I'd take a long screwdriver and have a wee scrape at the surface and see how thick that grey coating is and also to see how corroded the surface of the steel actually is.
Took a flash light and the whole tank looks like that. I never filled the tank when I notice at the gas station. I'm afraid if I try to take sample the rust or coating may harm the fuel injectors? Guess the safest way is to drain and remove the tank.

Just a guess. The tank may have been neglected at some time. Got rusty. What you're describing sounds like a coating someone may have used to seal off the rust. Personally I would rather have the rust.
Tank was neglected forsure like you said. When you lift the filler cap there is corrosion. Even around the hole where you put the gas nozzle you can see corrosion.

Took a flash light and the whole tank looks like that. I never filled the tank when I notice at the gas station. I'm afraid if I try to take sample the rust or coating may harm the fuel injectors? Guess the safest way is to drain and remove the tank.

Yes, drain it and don’t fire up the motor either. There’s probably some of that goo in your fuel lines and injectors already. After the crud is removed, you’ll have to check for leaks (holes) and they may be tiny if they exist. With a good clean tank with fuel I’d also run some Seafoam thru it to guard against any fouling that may‘ve already occurred. Always park it with a full tank of fuel too. Keep us updated. :)

Yes, drain it and don’t fire up the motor either. There’s probably some of that goo in your fuel lines and injectors already. After the crud is removed, you’ll have to check for leaks (holes) and they may be tiny if they exist. With a good clean tank with fuel I’d also run some Seafoam thru it to guard against any fouling that may‘ve already occurred. Always park it with a full tank of fuel too. Keep us updated. :)
What recommendations do you have for products to remove the gunk??

It is not like any tank sealer I have seen or used. The #1 product on the market is called Red Kote. It is...red in color and does work.
You can fix this with the right chems and elbow grease.
The tank will have to be cleaned,a cheap way,or an' expensive way.Then the application of Red Kote or similar can work.tank replacement is the other option.
Rubb.

If it were me, I'd drain and take the pump out to see what it looks like, this way you can really get a good look inside the tank....

It looks like a tank sealant which was put on poorly to me.

I would take the tank to a professional to have it removed and resealed if necessary.

Back