Gen 1 Turbo build for Willy's Jeep

Velix

Registered
Hey everyone, long time reader but just joined up. Im currently building a 46 Willy's using a 2000 busa engine and I'm planning on building the turbo setup myself. I know, it would be much easier to just buy a kit from RCC, but it's completely out of the budget and some of the parts aren't useable for my setup (Needs custom header, don't have the height for that style plenum)

My goal is to have it tuned to 400hp. Im planning to do rods, pistons, billet output shaft, arp studs and possibly some trans work. I'm having problems deciding the best route to go for control right now though. Really wanted a standalone system, but not sure if thats the best bang for buck. I've heard it is possible to swap over to a gen 2 ecu then reflash it, or I could get a piggyback system.

What are your thoughts? I need something that is very useable on the street, as this will be a street legal hotrod. Keep in mind budget most of all, as the things listed above, adjustable suspension and a dry sump system are kinda eating away at that already.

my personal thoughts :

if you are small at budget
use the busa motor without turbo
and have fun with the original hps of the busa motor.

okay without the ram air it won´t reach the 175 hp,
but - i guess - still around 150
so,
if i remember right, the 46 willis have had only some 40 or 50 hps
and
with the busa motor you tripple the power - won´t that be enough?

While I see your point, this will really only look like a Willy’s but it’s being built completely from scratch. Full tube chassis, hand made panels, double wishbone with pushrod suspension etc. Using the Busa engine pushing twice the weight around without a turbo just won’t cut it this time. The last thing I want is to lose a race in a handbuilt car to any old tuner out there. Lol. I’m hoping it scares me when I’m done honestly.

@Boosted Cycle Perf is who you need to talk to. Even with budget and fitment concerns, buying a kit will still be less expensive in the end, not to mention the hours of frustrating trial and error.
I pieced together a turbo kit for my 2000 and if I were doing it all over again I would absolutely follow the advice of a respectable tuner from the outset.

@Berlin Germany

Only stopping there for better reliability. Building for 500hp but running at 400.
HI. I would say 400HP is close to the limit on 93 pump gas with out an intercooler. I am building mine for 1000HP JE pistons just made me custom pistons and CP Corrillo is making custom rods. Marine crank will be a billet one. But that all = about $5,500.00. You can not cut corners on Big power! I am also using a Maxx stand alone ECU.

I will be running an intercooler for sure. Lots of room for one. I’m not really cutting any corners, just looking for ecu options/opinions on different systems or ways of doing it.

Right now I’m considering the following options:
1) ecu masters DET3 piggyback
2) ecu masters EMU Black stand-alone
3) swap to gen 2 ecu/harness and figure out what else is needed to program it

Any thoughts? Anyone done one of those options and able to comment?

Thanks. That’s just the harness so I’d need this one...
ECU
It’s a little more expensive, and not sure if it offers more. I’ll have to compare them closely. I think the easiest is actually the piggyback unit. Only need to cut a few wires to the ecu and connect to the DET3. Also more than capable to do what is needed in order to boost the engine. I’d like to run the original dash, that might limit my options too. Not sure yet

Thanks. That’s just the harness so I’d need this one...
ECU
It’s a little more expensive, and not sure if it offers more. I’ll have to compare them closely. I think the easiest is actually the piggyback unit. Only need to cut a few wires to the ecu and connect to the DET3. Also more than capable to do what is needed in order to boost the engine. I’d like to run the original dash, that might limit my options too. Not sure yet

I'm not sure which one offers more either. Just heard good things about the Maxxsport.

That DET3 does sound pretty nifty, and it's inexpensive to boot...

Right now I’m considering the following options:
1) ecu masters DET3 piggyback
2) ecu masters EMU Black stand-alone
3) swap to gen 2 ecu/harness and figure out what else is needed to program it

Any thoughts? Anyone done one of those options and able to comment?
For the level you are trying for 1000 cc injectors reflash the ECU use a PCV-TPI
FORGET swap to gen 2 way too much headache

For the level you are trying for 1000 cc injectors reflash the ECU use a PCV-TPI
FORGET swap to gen 2 way too much headache
Reflashing a gen one ecu is probably going to cost about the same as the piggyback though isn’t it? After dyno work, boost controller etc. I agree the gen 2 swap is probably not worth the effort.
Here’s another option at a great price. Includes the harness, custom map for your setup and made for car applications
Option 4??

Reflashing a gen one ecu is probably going to cost about the same as the piggyback though isn’t it? After dyno work, boost controller etc. I agree the gen 2 swap is probably not worth the effort.
Here’s another option at a great price. Includes the harness, custom map for your setup and made for car applications
Option 4??
No no reflash the ECU only to compensate for the 1000cc injectors
Buy a smithabusa reflash unit cost ~$250 I think

No no reflash the ECU only to compensate for the 1000cc injectors
Buy a smithabusa reflash unit cost ~$250 I think
Is there a standard "go to" 1000cc injector everyone uses? I read about the S2000 injectors, but not sure what size those are.

I'll look into those smithbusa units for sure. Have to see how they work for that sort of power level, and what all can be done with them. What I like about the other options is the ability to do boost by gear or speed. Might be really helpful in my application

Is there a standard "go to" 1000cc injector everyone uses? I read about the S2000 injectors, but not sure what size those are.

I'll look into those smithbusa units for sure. Have to see how they work for that sort of power level, and what all can be done with them. What I like about the other options is the ability to do boost by gear or speed. Might be really helpful in my application
Reflash is to compensate for 4x larger injectors and turn off fuel limiter. Pcv. Does fueling based off boost level. Then a boost controller handles power management. If you want all in one. You are back to a standalone

Back