need help picking a new lid

jch364

Registered
ok. I have had it with arai. i have an rx7 and in the 2 years i have owned it i have broken some part of the tabs on the shield connecting pieces on the sides of the helmet now for the 3rd time and i have had it. arai can go screw themselves. not only that the liner is junk already.
Now her is the problem. The only reason I chose that $750 helmet to begin with was the fit. This helmet is an intermediate oval. Although I think I should have gotton a smaller size the question is what other helmet brand out there would fit in a same manner as this one? I have had a hard time finding a lid that fits. this one is an xxl but i think an xl would have done it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I broke mine only one time. Then i saw the video on ther site on how to change the shield and never had a problem again.

More like a pain in the :moon: but I like my helmet. I think I paid around $32.00 for the sides, which was a shock to me for a piece of plastic.

Are you looking to get another helmet or try to improve on the one you got.
Go to the motorcycle store and try on every helmet until you find one thet fit and take your time.

im getting another brand one way or another. there has to be another brand out there that will fit me.

I went to just about every store and try on every helmet and settle on the Arai rx-7 but I tried the Arai on about 50 times in two days before I got it. Good luck with your search.

well i finally picked my new lid. decided to get the new shoei x12. i think the fit is going to be good. just wish it wasnt $700. I like the features on it. I will get it next week. cant wait to try it out. going to get the martyr graphic. I did try the exo 1000 scorpion. Had hoped it would work but no go. just didnt fit my noggin. The guy at iron pony in Columbus oh said that scorpion was one of the best mid level helmets for the money. oh well.

well i got my new helmet in today. I love it. heres a cpl of pics. quality is top notch thats for sure. shoei x12 martyr. I was surprised as to how light it felt. got a mirror shield to go with it. I only had a chance to go for a short ride. It is great so far as i can tell. still need to do some riding to get a full opinion though.

april 19,2010 009.jpg

april 19,2010 010.jpg

april 19,2010 011.jpg

How is the venitation....im on the hunt as well and looking for something tolerable when it gets to be 1000 degrees out. I tried on an arai and didnt fit my mellon...have a shoei rf now and love the helmet but the air movement is non existant and so far most of the shops wont let me test ride any helmets lol.

Well I went out for a ride today for about an hour and i have to say that the ventilation is ok. not as good as the arai rx7 i have. its just ok. i would have expected better for their flagship helmet design. webbikeworld did a review on it as well and came to the same conclusion......Arai comes in different shapes depending on the model. did you try on different ones to make sure. They are one of the only helmet manufactures that actually have helmet designs for oval, long and intermediate oval and so forth. I mean I really like my arai but i got tired of breaking the shield attachment mechanism. ive broken one part or another 3 times now. plus getting anything from arai is almost an exercise in futility.

I have 3 Arais and my complains about the tabs are the same as everyone. I would look into the left over X11s if you are in a market of buying a new lid because of the discounted prices. I experimented on buying the lightest helmet on the market (Shark RSR2) and was'nt really happy with it. If you want ventilation X11s are hard to beat, I'm surprised that the X12 does'nt vent as well or better than the X11. I love Arais, but Shoeis are awesome helmets too.

I tried on the x11 and the fit wasnt quit right. the x12 is a new design which does fit good i think. I have the worst time finding a helmet that fits. in fact other than this x12 the only helmet that has ever fit is the arai rx7. I just simply got tired of breaking off the side pieces. not to mention the fact that the inside liner was in need of replacing already. after only 2 years. to quick in my opinion. I dont think that the liner in the arai is as good as in the shoei either

you know I still have this helmet..lol I really need to buy a new one.
HI. I need one myself. I was going to get a Simpson Ghost Bandit Carbon Fiber, but it is not Snell. So I have looked at the Shoie X14 3.62 lbs, the Arai Corsair X 3.55 lbs, AGV Pista 3.31 lbs and the Arai Corsair X RC 3.06 lbs but at $3,995.00 That is the one I want but I do not want to pay that much.

HI. I need one myself. I was going to get a Simpson Ghost Bandit Carbon Fiber, but it is not Snell. So I have looked at the Shoie X14 3.62 lbs, the Arai Corsair X 3.55 lbs, AGV Pista 3.31 lbs and the Arai Corsair X RC 3.06 lbs but at $3,995.00 That is the one I want but I do not want to pay that much.

Another ten year old thread...I’m hoping my new Shoei RF1200 will be to my liking. It should arrive in a few days, about when the weather dries out enough to ride. :)

Another ten year old thread...I’m hoping my new Shoei RF1200 will be to my liking. It should arrive in a few days, about when the weather dries out enough to ride. :)

I was a Shoei guy until I tried on an Aria Quantum-X round/oval. Great helmet.

I kind of gravitate towards HJC helmets these days....

I had all the others at one time or another as I switch out helmets every 5 yrs..

I did like my Shoei though

HJC are catching up with the big brands regarding quality and fit I love my RHPHA 11 so light and comfortable to wear and heaps cheaper than aria or shoei :thumbsup:

Back