Why I love my BMW!

it sucks I bet you don’t even have that many miles on this bike yet....

I’ve heard enough stories about BMW cars and bikes that I’m staying away from them. With that said, my wife has a Mini Cooper I couldn’t talk her off the cliff.

I bought one of the new R1200 RTs when they went with the wet heads and electronic suspension. Had around 1200 miles on it when the mothership issued a "Stop Ride" just like yours. Bad rear suspension and no parts available to fix. Sat for around three months. They finally offered a 100 percent buy back with every penny returned along with a few other options. I let them buy it back and left the brand with no hard feelings. I hope yours works out as well...good luck.

Man that sure does blow chunks Willie . I'm very sad for you on this whole deal the BMW has been .
What a shame on a premium brand bike company . Class action law suit coming ???
Haven't checked but usually you sign that option away when you buy a car or bike. They only have to fix it or give you your money back if they can't fix it.

I fixed it! Bought a 1250 GS. Went to check on the K1600 and the transmission was all over the shop and they needed another part. They were on the 4th week of the 5 hour job. So glad I bailed on that bike.

The GS is pretty amazing. I like it a lot, provided the transmission doesn't grenade....

I fixed it! Bought a 1250 GS. Went to check on the K1600 and the transmission was all over the shop and they needed another part. They were on the 4th week of the 5 hour job. So glad I bailed on that bike.

The GS is pretty amazing. I like it a lot, provided the transmission doesn't grenade....

View attachment 1613591

View attachment 1613592
Holy crap Willie. Did NOT expect this. Talk about a change in direction!!

Good looking bike...keep an eye on the rear drive spline gear, I've heard they grenade around 46k miles or so...of course that issue could have been fixed as it was a 2018 model this happened to.

The owner was told they have to be inspected at 75,000kms, of course he figured this was a BMW and go forever...it didn't-cost him $4 k to fix.

responding to OP: I just ride them and do the recalls myself on my own dime when I get a chance. I'd rather not let a dealership work on my bikes. I don't ever plan to sell them so I don't worry about resale.

So jealous, I have been eye balling one of those. Just cant bring myself to pull the trigger. Congratulations on the new bike Arch.

View attachment 1613591

View attachment 1613592
I hope this one works better for you Willie, kind of sad after seeing all you put into getting the other one and then seeing how well the busa and it matched. I met a pair of these on thre freeway and they seemed to move out pretty well, kind of surprised me when I opened thr busa up in a straight away and not long after I settled down and slowed up for some turns they were coming right back up behind me and seem like they roll thre turns pretty well too. I guess they can't all be Suzuki and definitely can't all be busas but looks like it should be fun to ride.

You ought to see how many problems BMW is having with the new S1000RR...ridiculous. That's why I never buy a first year new model...

It has a cartridge type transmission (don't have to split the cases) apparently. Like GP bikes. Best technology on the street. That's if they can find someone to make the parts!
here's an update, we have a recall here at my workshop in ChCh NZ.
This work is being done by the only BMW trained tech we have in-house.
(and that sure ain't me lol)
Here's some pics you guys may be interested in . . .

So BMW have supplied the necessary parts to complete the recall and it's not a simple "slip out the cassette, slip in a new cassette" operation.
This baby has gotta be disassembled and parts replaced, reassembled and refitted.
Happy days . . . well, it takes our minds off the current worldwide disaster :banghead:

here's an update, we have a recall here at my workshop in ChCh NZ.
This work is being done by the only BMW trained tech we have in-house.
(and that sure ain't me lol)
Here's some pics you guys may be interested in . . .
View attachment 1615035

View attachment 1615036

View attachment 1615037

View attachment 1615038

View attachment 1615040

View attachment 1615041

View attachment 1615042

View attachment 1615043
So BMW have supplied the necessary parts to complete the recall and it's not a simple "slip out the cassette, slip in a new cassette" operation.
This baby has gotta be disassembled and parts replaced, reassembled and refitted.
Happy days . . . well, it takes our minds off the current worldwide disaster :banghead:
I knew it was not a 5 hour job .

I hate to break it to you Kiwi, but they slipped my trans out without removing much of anything on the bike. In fact when I saw it my first thought was "crap they haven't even started working on it". I have no idea why that bike is practically stripped. Once the trans is out they are supposed to inspect the transmission for certain wear patterns. f there is wear on the gears themselves they have to do a full replace. If not it's more or less the shift forks (which must be replaced wear or not). The problem my dealer had is that they didn't have a fool you need to pull the gears off the drive shaft and installing the shims properly is a bear.

Maybe that's a GTL or something but my guy did not remove the tank, front fairings, clutch, etc. They just removed the side panel and slipped out the transmission, I was a bit surprised how easy it was. Why are they doing such major surgery?

I hate to break it to you Kiwi, but they slipped my trans out without removing much of anything on the bike. In fact when I saw it my first thought was "crap they haven't even started working on it". I have no idea why that bike is practically stripped. Once the trans is out they are supposed to inspect the transmission for certain wear patterns. f there is wear on the gears themselves they have to do a full replace. If not it's more or less the shift forks (which must be replaced wear or not). The problem my dealer had is that they didn't have a fool you need to pull the gears off the drive shaft and installing the shims properly is a bear.

Maybe that's a GTL or something but my guy did not remove the tank, front fairings, clutch, etc. They just removed the side panel and slipped out the transmission, I was a bit surprised how easy it was. Why are they doing such major surgery?
arch.... the ONLY way to remove the transmission is to remove the clutch, the clutch basket is fastened to the output shaft (clutch shaft) with a torqued nut....so the clutch MUST be removed to take out the transmission.
The instructions from BMW is to fit ALL the parts in the recall kit they send regardless of how the gears appear to look, it’s mandatory to replace the supplied parts.
Our tech is BMW trained and is not doing any work he does not need to be doing.
I cannot speak for your bike’s recall, but this is how it’s done according to BMW.

Back