My Michelin Road 5 review

I'm going to remedy that next winter...for now I use a space heater when I'm in there...the garage is so well insulated, it takes very little time to heat it up thankfully.
Maybe just a thermostat that it prevents it from getting too cold... That should do it.

Maybe just a thermostat that it prevents it from getting too cold... That should do it.
I'm putting in a heating system into the garage this summer. For now I have a good space heater with a remote to operate it. My garage is not accessible from the house.

This thread reminds me of the multiple engine oil threads seen on this forum. Is it @Mr Brown who says'some oil is better than none', or something like that? Which, to me, in this convo, means : make sure you have tread on the tires. Otherwise, tires (like oil) are application-specific which, as @Yellow09 says, explains the abundance of choice . . . and opinion.

I believe I'm technically DQ'ed from this convo due to geography: So Cal doesn't experience the weather extremes other locations do. But, I do like a sticky tire that probably doesn't last as long (and probably wouldn't maintain integrity (comparatively) in repeated deep temp swings - I have no idea). It's the price I'm willing to pay. Dunlop Q3+ last me about 5k mi (15% variance), which for me translates to about 3 sets of tires every 2 years.

Q4s if I could afford 'em, but that would honestly be a waste cuz I'm too old to be that aggressive.

But think of all the hot chicks in thongs a set of those tires would attract! So Cal!!

I'm confused slightly (which is easy to do) you say the PR5 isn't designed for the Busa yet you run them?? Many on this forum run them and some run them to 200mph....I am on the fence between Bridgestone S22 or the PR2-5 series...
When I got my first set and saw they were W rated ( 165 MPH ??? ) I did a search on Michelin website and found that they were fine for light bikes and it specifically mentioned not for the super bikes like the Hayabusa but they were going to release a PR5 GT that would be. I haven’t had the 2018 beyond the speed rating because of it. What have you done to your bike ?

When I got my first set and saw they were W rated ( 165 MPH ??? ) I did a search on Michelin website and found that they were fine for light bikes and it specifically mentioned not for the super bikes like the Hayabusa but they were going to release a PR5 GT that would be. I haven’t had the 2018 beyond the speed rating because of it. What have you done to your bike ?
Where do you get this info? I know many riders who use the PR 5 for the busa. and it is one of the most recommended tires for our particular bike (recommended by various magazines, youtube channels....etc etc etc...)
And again- like I already mentioned before - The GT version is NOT recommended for the busa!

Last edited:
What have I done to it? Not very much, just stored it for the winter.

He may’ve meant to ask how fast you have been. I’ve had mine above 175 on PR2s and 3s but not for any sustained time, just a mile or two maybe.
Would anyone ever hit 180 -190 miles per hour more than a few seconds?
If so- then you are on a very large racetrack and then you would not have PR5's on the bike anyways. I dont understand the fuss about the speed rating. Who does ever hit REAL 180mph?

Would anyone ever hit 180 -190 miles per hour more than a few seconds?
If so- then you are on a very large racetrack and then you would not have PR5's on the bike anyways. I dont understand the fuss about the speed rating. Who does ever hit REAL 180mph?
Im not gonna claim I run 190 but with some of the guys I ride with running above 160 fir several miles is not that uncommon ;)

Im not gonna claim I run 190 but with some of the guys I ride with running above 160 fir several miles is not that uncommon ;)
I understand. I max mine out at least once or twice per week on my house track. But it's really just seconds ..and I am very confident that the W rating is fine for that!. I will let you guys know if it goes wrong lol....

I understand. I max mine out at least once or twice per week on my house track. But it's really just seconds ..and I am very confident that the W rating is fine for that!. I will let you guys know if it goes wrong lol....
Personally I feel like the rating is just a safety fir thre company just in case something does happen. Honestly never even looked at the rating on the q3+and now im off to Google:lol:

He may’ve meant to ask how fast you have been. I’ve had mine above 175 on PR2s and 3s but not for any sustained time, just a mile or two maybe.
Ahh, I see, it was a hard question to understand for this 'ol country boy.....

I think I got to 150 once for a short distance.

For me personally, I have been using the Pirelli Angel GTs A Spec, I'm on my 4th set. I don't think I'll ever run a tire that's not Pirelli on my bike.

That's one thing about tires, they are like running shoes, everyone has their brand they recommend and use and they all serve their function.

I switched to the Michelin PR5 tires from the recommendations of trusted people on this board and don't regret that decision one bit. Oddly I was a Bridgestone guy, had them on my bikes since '85 and never had an issue but change is good sometimes.

That's one thing about tires, they are like running shoes, everyone has their brand they recommend and use and they all serve their function.

I switched to the Michelin PR5 tires from the recommendations of trusted people on this board and don't regret that decision one bit. Oddly I was a Bridgestone guy, had them on my bikes since '85 and never had an issue but change is good sometimes.

You’re absolutely right.

Back