Should I use a battery tender or a trickle charger?

umairhashmi

Registered
Since I got my new leftover 2018 CBR1KRR almost 5 months ago I have only 350 miles on the odometer because of a new job and my HOA giving me a hard time so I keep it in a nearby storage facility. Here in hot south florida this is riding season but lately I barely touch it once every couple of weeks or so. I am wondering if I am better off getting a battery tender or a trickle charger? Whats the difference and how do they work? And where on the bike do I hook it up to since I have no idea where the battery is?

Since I got my new leftover 2018 CBR1KRR almost 5 months ago I have only 350 miles on the odometer because of a new job and my HOA giving me a hard time so I keep it in a nearby storage facility. Here in hot south florida this is riding season but lately I barely touch it once every couple of weeks or so. I am wondering if I am better off getting a battery tender or a trickle charger? Whats the difference and how do they work? And where on the bike do I hook it up to since I have no idea where the battery is?

I'd get a battery tender if you have electric power where it is being stored, the battery tender comes with an attachment you place onto your battery, then when you wish to charge it, you simply plug that end into the other end that goes with the Tender. You just have to route it such that you can pull it out and tuck it back once done. The Tender charges the batter and once it is fully charged it stops and it monitors the voltage and keeps it at an ideal voltage by toggling off and on so to speak. You basically connect it the same way you would do jumper cables very easy and once connected you don't have to do anything else, you have lights on the Tender that lets you know the status of the battery/Charge. The Battery Tender JR is about $29 and THe Batter Tender Plus is about $50 either will do for your purposes. There are other brands out there as well. I personally have one of each of those I mentioned and use for car and bike.

Last edited:
So ill need to take the seat off every time I put on the charger? Thats sucks.
No you can route the attachment cord in such a way that you simply pull it out and plug it in and keep it attached to the battery. It can be zip tied to something nearby, I have mine routed so that I just pop off the rear seat and pull the cord out, on other bikes it may have been near some part of the frame, seat or other area convenient.

looking at the pic above of the bike in the video you could probably have it zip tied to the rear passenger peg or the rail right beneath the seat

As I understand it, a battery tender is just a brand of trickle charger. As said above, you can mount the plug in to where you don't have to remove the seat to gain access to the battery posts, but it functions the same way any other trickle charger does. It's certainly more convenient once it's set up.

In this pic below these would be bolted to your pos and neg post on battery the other end plugs into the cord extension on the Tender, so you simply have to route it such that you can access it easily

292BABF0-44E2-4FD0-B9DE-7D68C3FADE79.png

As I understand it, a battery tender is just a brand of trickle charger. As said above, you can mount the plug in to where you don't have to remove the seat to gain access to the battery posts, but it functions the same way any other trickle charger does. It's certainly more convenient once it's set up.

Nope, a trickle charger adds a very slow charge continually but a tender, while also charging slowly, only charges until it’s fully charged and then maintains it and only adds additional charging when the battery level drops. No overcharging like a trickle charger would. OP, check your battery type. The OEMs use a regular tender like a Deltran battery tender Jr. for example but a replacement lithium battery requires a lithium tender. Same function just a different type.

Nope, a trickle charger adds a very slow charge continually but a tender, while also charging slowly, only charges until it’s fully charged and then maintains it and only adds additional charging when the battery level drops. No overcharging like a trickle charger would. OP, check your battery type. The OEMs use a regular tender like a Deltran battery tender Jr. for example but a replacement lithium battery requires a lithium tender. Same function just a different type.
Thanks for the clarification!

Mmmmmmmm....... yoshi tank........mmmmmmmmmmm... slobber slobber :bowdown:

is a large towel sufficient?
or do you already need a 10 gal bucket ?

how wonderfully honest you are

loooooooooool

yes for sure
the tank looks nice,
but i think you have a lot money to spend at 1st for chassis ;-)

Reactions: kml
Back