Help a newbie with first tires

Blacksmith

Registered
Ok yall know I went down a few months ago when I hit a slick spot in a curve but I was already looking at new tires cause the edges of my tires seemed hard and I was getting slippage when turning especially if accelerating out of a slow turn. I honestly feel that theres a good chance I wouldn't have slid down in the curve if the edge was still soft and could've grabbed a little more. (I maybe wrong and I went down either way but I feel like better or stickier tires could've saved her). So I'll be replacing both tires asap and riding very careful until I do but I don't know which ones will be best for me without going overboard. Y'all know I'm inexperienced but trying to learn quickly and I do love the high speed straight trip when I get a chance, I dont have any really good twisty roads and I avoid rain like the plague but I have been caught in a couple south Ga thunderstorms so I do need something safe when I do get stuck in it. Sorry for the long post I just want to get the best tire for my needs so proving as much info as I can. I dont have a track close but I do want to learn to launch her hard like she's meant to do. Thanks again boys

Btw the Pirelli Angels sound good as do some of the Dulops. These good for newbies?

Last edited:
this post should get good........

:pie:

It will all depend on your riding style and comfort level. I have rode tracks most of my riding until the Busa. Still put a track friendly tire on it and was not impressed. Now have a pilot road on it and feel no performance loss and actually a bit more confidence inspiring. Each story will be different.

Did you get the pie?

How many miles do you anticipate riding per year?

Riding style? Aggressive, relaxed pace?

Lots of commuting slabbing or mainly backroads?

You will get a varied response on tires but i suggest looking at tires closer to sport touring for additional mileage something along the lines of Pirelli Angel Gt, Michelin Pilot Roads 2,3,4,5, Bridgestone T30 or T31 and i personally run the Dunlop Roadmarts 2s and like the Avon Storms but haven’t tried their latest replacements yet.

Most riders don’t need any more tire than what today’s sport touring segment offers.

this post should get good........

:pie:

It will all depend on your riding style and comfort level. I have rode tracks most of my riding until the Busa. Still put a track friendly tire on it and was not impressed. Now have a pilot road on it and feel no performance loss and actually a bit more confidence inspiring. Each story will be different.

Did you get the pie?
Pie? So y'all ate saying pretty much any name brand tie will be all I need? As fir Tached1300 I'm thinking probably 8-10k a year, mostly relaxed but def agression where I can and mostly backroads except the occasional trips to Daytona and Orlando which will be 3 to 4 hours of interstate and backroad mixed

Pie? So y'all ate saying pretty much any name brand tie will be all I need? As fir Tached1300 I'm thinking probably 8-10k a year, mostly relaxed but def agression where I can and mostly backroads except the occasional trips to Daytona and Orlando which will be 3 to 4 hours of interstate and backroad mixed

They're all radials but IME, I wouldn’t go with any tire that wasn’t a multi compound tire (harder in the center and softer on the edges). A hard charging track only tire will wear down very fast, especially the rear as the Busa is heavy and has a lot of horsepower. For longer mileage and yet still being capable of cornering with confidence, I’d recommend any of the Michelin Pilot Road series tires.

Not all name brands are the same. Look at compound differences. Do you want longer life or just good stick? Plenty of members have had great dealings with the pr4-5. I have the 4s and feel confident putting it as far over as I need.

How many miles do you anticipate riding per year?

Riding style? Aggressive, relaxed pace?

Lots of commuting slabbing or mainly backroads?

You will get a varied response on tires but i suggest looking at tires closer to sport touring for additional mileage something along the lines of Pirelli Angel Gt, Michelin Pilot Roads 2,3,4,5, Bridgestone T30 or T31 and i personally run the Dunlop Roadmarts 2s and like the Avon Storms but haven’t tried their latest replacements yet.

Most riders don’t need any more tire than what today’s sport touring segment offers.

+1
Tire choice is such a personal thing IMO. I run Dunlop Q3+, marginally stickier, and therefore not as long lasting. My greatest regret is watching these near-perfect canyon/hybrids start to square off from all the freeway miles I log, but that's how it goes.

I expected to get around 5k miles on a set of the Q3+ ... the front has about 6k now, is still good for much more. You can imagine the rear goes more quickly, considering the torque these bikes put out, but you could still see 8k+, easily. Search this forum for @GAmedic's tire thread: impressive mileage.

I'd advise to pick a tire from Tached1300's list above- cuz you won't go wrong with any of em - and then discover for yourself what they provide, what they lack. And have some fun in the meanwhile.

Lots of Michilin fans huh. Well that's what is on her now, Power 3's I think. Well I'll shop around my 'local' shops and see what the prices are going for right now. I know Cycle World has the Angel gt's for 30% off so I'll pick from those 3. Thanks boys I always appreciate your experience and advice.

Lots of Michilin fans huh. Well that's what is on her now, Power 3's I think. Well I'll shop around my 'local' shops and see what the prices are going for right now. I know Cycle World has the Angel gt's for 30% off so I'll pick from those 3. Thanks boys I always appreciate your experience and advice.
I’ll be in the minority with this but that just means there’s more out there for me to buy :) but you can get Dunlop Roadsmart 2s for $66-69 for the front and about $96-99 for the rear. If cost is a consideration I’ve run these on my CBR 1000 and the Busa. Hard to beat that for the money(value)

Ok yall know I went down a few months ago when I hit a slick spot in a curve but I was already looking at new tires cause the edges of my tires seemed hard and I was getting slippage when turning especially if accelerating out of a slow turn. I honestly feel that theres a good chance I wouldn't have slid down in the curve if the edge was still soft and could've grabbed a little more. (I maybe wrong and I went down either way but I feel like better or stickier tires could've saved her). So I'll be replacing both tires asap and riding very careful until I do but I don't know which ones will be best for me without going overboard. Y'all know I'm inexperienced but trying to learn quickly and I do love the high speed straight trip when I get a chance, I dont have any really good twisty roads and I avoid rain like the plague but I have been caught in a couple south Ga thunderstorms so I do need something safe when I do get stuck in it. Sorry for the long post I just want to get the best tire for my needs so proving as much info as I can. I dont have a track close but I do want to learn to launch her hard like she's meant to do. Thanks again boys

Btw the Pirelli Angels sound good as do some of the Dulops. These good for newbies?
The perelli angels are a good high mileage tire I didn't care for how they felt in in turns. The dunlop q3 plus im running now are a lot more confidence inspiring for me but like said above I will expect ti change them mid season. Thr pilot power I ran fir a short time gave me no confidence but from what I've gathered it seems in the warmer states like Georgia and Texas the pr5s are a preferred tire fir mileage and control but where I am they don't work for me. I prefer sticky at this point so it might be worth you running thru a couple sets of sticky tires while your learning/relearning the bike. My next set I'll be going with a q3 plus and roadsmart (I think that's ther one I seen recommended by sixpack) rear.

The perelli angels are a good high mileage tire I didn't care for how they felt in in turns. The dunlop q3 plus im running now are a lot more confidence inspiring for me but like said above I will expect ti change them mid season. Thr pilot power I ran fir a short time gave me no confidence but from what I've gathered it seems in the warmer states like Georgia and Texas the pr5s are a preferred tire fir mileage and control but where I am they don't work for me. I prefer sticky at this point so it might be worth you running thru a couple sets of sticky tires while your learning/relearning the bike. My next set I'll be going with a q3 plus and roadsmart (I think that's ther one I seen recommended by sixpack) rear.
Well I don't want to spend a lot on something I don't need but I've always been ok with paying for good tires especially on this thing I don't want to go cheap. I'd Mich rather have more tier than my skill level needs than have a hard high mileage set that im not comfortable on

I just picked up a set of Bridgestone S22F tires, I have Bridgestone S22Rs on it now and it stuck in the corners as well as giving good wear...the rear wore off flat as one would expect around here but they are a multi compound tire so they lasted a fair amount of time...I could probably get more kms out of them but I am changing them out in the spring.

They are a good price as well.

tires - all time new questions - it´s a real hard work and never can be answered generally.

example:
last summer on my nearby racetrack i had bad experiences with pilot power 3 (the instructor, i asked for optimal air pressure, warned me for these tires so i was already very attentive before 1st round)
after 4 or 5 very fast rounds on track the rear tire became so hot that it starts to slide in a curve so badly, that i stopped accelerating and kept throttle position as it was.
completely very unfunny.

on the contrary to the behavior on track on country roads this tire (pipo3) is wonderful.
fast warming, good grip when wet - nice.

hard but serious
at the end YOU (e.g. blacksmith) have to spend a lot of money and miles on road (or trck) to test/try out which tire is best for you and your style
and not to forget - what did you do to the chassis setting ?
that causes also some pos. or neg. results - regardless of the kind / type of choosen tires.

and
some 7 years before i had the Metzeler Z6 with 2.1/2.4 bar at my fj 1200.
air at 20°C / track at arround 18°C
and i had abs. no problems even when "in hanging off" the footrests were scratching and the knee was nearly down to ground.
so i think i was rather fast. ;-)
and it works even with such a tractor tire like Z6
look at this tire - 235 kg heavy fj1200 - pic taken in 2012 on track in most, czech, after to 20 minute trainings and one 20 minute race
P1020361.jpg

same experiences with the Z8 at my former busa at my nearby track
2.5/2.5 bar
and i was fast, very fast ;-)
without any probs.
so tractor tires can also work fine

Last edited:
Well I don't want to spend a lot on something I don't need but I've always been ok with paying for good tires especially on this thing I don't want to go cheap. I'd Mich rather have more tier than my skill level needs than have a hard high mileage set that im not comfortable on
Im not a real confident corner carver but the q3 plus are made to get a few extra miles out of them and they heat quick and stick real well. Id say get a set of those and throw em on and thank me later :poke:. They will wear sooner but having read your threads I think it's a good idea fir you ti sacrifice thre mileage for the fir some good sticky tires. I know u said you don't ride in the rain but if u get caught with thr q3 plus in the rain they aren't horrible but I definitely take it easy. The angels I had really assumed in the rain but like I said they don't give that confidence like the dunlop.

+1 on this for sure
I do pay attention to my air pressure but I doubt know snuffing about suspension setup and the closest things I have to a shop are Cycle Gear and a Ridenow dealer in Jacksonville so I'm pretty well stuck with whatever she's set on now

Back