Touring or travel tips . #1 cash

c10

Registered
Wanted to point out a carry cash tip . The photos I'm sharing are a the emergency trip cash. Used only in those ER cases .
My bag is just shy of 60 all in small bills
Why not carry a single big bill? No where locations ,air machines ,vending machines just do not like hundred dollar bills.
I add to this pouch every trip a dollar or two ,and after time exchange ones to a 5 or 10 bill . With today's skimming of cards it could be easy to find your self hundreds of miles from home with no funds . This would get me home with a meal . Eventually this might grow to a secret titanium bank account. ;)

Share your tips n tricks.

PS heavy duty zip lock for the funds .

20191227_170114.jpg

20191227_170105.jpg

Wanted to point out a carry cash tip . The photos I'm sharing are a the emergency trip cash. Used only in those ER cases .
My bag is just shy of 60 all in small bills
Why not carry a single big bill? No where locations ,air machines ,vending machines just do not like hundred dollar bills.
I add to this pouch every trip a dollar or two ,and after time exchange ones to a 5 or 10 bill . With today's skimming of cards it could be easy to find your self hundreds of miles from home with no funds . This would get me home with a meal . Eventually this might grow to a secret titanium bank account. ;)

Share your tips n tricks.

PS heavy duty zip lock for the funds .

View attachment 1610309

View attachment 1610310
Nice titanium bag......:firing:

My travel tip is to always be prepared...

I don't travel via bike and room is not an issue in my truck. I always carry a go bag in the truck with seasonal items (summer and winter kit). I have a cash stash as well, all small bills and change just like you have there.

I carry my receiver and tow straps year round along with an emergency kit with first aid, fire extinguisher, blankets, rain gear, tarp, fares, flash light, tools, shovel, hatchet, machete, ration packs, water etc when I travel any distance...

For the bike, I have dedicated roadside assist, (2 free calls a year), puncture kit and 12v mini pump, and a toolkit and a tourch with extra batteries. I have a tap-n-go chip on my bike key in case my wallet goes missing and digital scans of my drivers license, healthcare card and ambulance subscription saved to my phone and cloud.

Only difference for the car is I have strobe warning lights and hiviz coat with thermal liner

For the bike, I have dedicated roadside assist, (2 free calls a year), puncture kit and 12v mini pump, and a toolkit and a tourch with extra batteries. I have a tap-n-go chip on my bike key in case my wallet goes missing and digital scans of my drivers license, healthcare card and ambulance subscription saved to my phone and cloud.

Only difference for the car is I have strobe warning lights and hiviz coat with thermal liner
Good point, I forgot I have CAA (AAA in the US) I have the unlimited package

BMW comes with road assist (beware a bike that comes with road assist, Lol). I have A3 too for the Busa. I also carry some cash.

My tips are to get one of those little battery jumpers, they are amazing and they fit in your pocket. It's so funny when you offer someone a jump and pull it out of your pocket and fire them up! https://www.amazon.com/Arteck-Exter...s=pocket+battery+jumper&qid=1577495834&sr=8-5

Also, keep your phone on your body not the bike. If you are in dire straits and separated from the bike, you want that life line on your body not flying into the woods when the bike cartwheels.

Another easy one is a screw driver wrapped with duct tape. Duct tape is a survivor's best friend! I have used duct tape for a broken visor, on a fairing with screws missing and even torn clothes.

I know routes can change or some prefer to ride without a rigid route but it can be useful to let your spouse or someone close to you know your planned route or destination in advance with a possible ETA.

Or have your phone setup to where they can track your whereabouts that way.
Just remember to turn the tracking off when the ride is over, Lol! Some of you may have girl friends but for me I don't want the wife to know I stopped at the smoke shack!

A roll of black eletrical tape in the tank bag so it ca be applied along the top of the visor to act as a sun block when riding into the setting sun.

A microfiber cloth rolled up into a small cylinder and held together with a zip tie, moistened with water and a drop of dish soap, in a small Tupperware container and another dry microfiber cloth, all kept in the side pocket of the tank bag, and used to clean the shield at long lights and gas stations. It stays moist for months.

cheers
ken
IMG_20191227_223346.jpg

I would say the most important traveling tip is to research where you’re going. Make sure to have at least minimum knowledge about your destination, especially when traveling to new countries. I agree with the importance of having cash on you, specifically in small bills. It saved me several times. Even though I don’t need them 98% of the time, as I travel mostly through Europe, and it’s hard to find a place where you can pay with your card. Also, it’s important to choose the right transportation method. I usually prefer the German railways DB Auskunft und Bahn Fahrplanauskunft.

It is imperative to have some cash and some documents on you and some on the bike. For example my drivers license is on me and the ID is on the bike, if the wallet or the bag gets stolen it is still better to have something left.

A small knife in the pocket of riding jacket can be lifesaving in an emergency and useful any other time.

Otherwise the most important thing to carry with you is politeness. It goes a long way, more so when travelling abroad and especially when dealing with people of authority.

All of you have very good tips and I believe I will adapt some I didn’t think about, I also text my wife one word of the town I’m in when I stop for a break.

Nice titanium bag......:firing:

My travel tip is to always be prepared...

I don't travel via bike and room is not an issue in my truck. I always carry a go bag in the truck with seasonal items (summer and winter kit). I have a cash stash as well, all small bills and change just like you have there.

I carry my receiver and tow straps year round along with an emergency kit with first aid, fire extinguisher, blankets, rain gear, tarp, fares, flash light, tools, shovel, hatchet, machete, ration packs, water etc when I travel any distance...
Sounds like you must’ve been In The Boy Scouts when you were a lad…..
:D

Back