Mobile phone, (cell phone) detection cameras live - world first

3300 drives caught in the first week in New South Wales, a state in Australia.
A world first apparently, cameras detecting drivers using their phone when at the wheel of the car.

Big brother is watching...

New NSW mobile detection cameras catch thousands in first week

I am torn over this...in some ways I applaud the move as distracted driving has taken over as the number one cause of accidents.

On the other hand, I certainly don't like being watched by 'big brother.'

I guess if it saves lives, it's ok though.

3300 drives caught in the first week in New South Wales, a state in Australia.
A world first apparently, cameras detecting drivers using their phone when at the wheel of the car.

Big brother is watching...

New NSW mobile detection cameras catch thousands in first week
If I remember right I read an article a while ago and it was also from Australia. The police there was testing a new device that could scan all the cars around them automatically for valid insurance and suspended licenses etc.
They had a camera team with them and within a hour of driving thru a big city they scanned thousands of cars.
Technology is certainly improving.

Here in my city the police has new devices they test right now (its not official yet) which scans your phone and shows them when you used or touched it last. I dont know much else about it..but it is getting serious..!

If I remember right I read an article a while ago and it was also from Australia. The police there was testing a new device that could scan all the cars around them automatically for valid insurance and suspended licenses etc.
They had a camera team with them and within a hour of driving thru a big city they scanned thousands of cars.

Here in my city the police has new devices they test right now (its not official yet) which scans your phone and shows them when you used or touched it last. I dont know much else about it..but it is getting serious..!
The OPP here have a scanning device that checks your plates to see if they are valid and insured..of course not every patrol car has it.

Yup...
The system in the cars scans the license plates of the cars/bikes/trucks in parking lots, shopping centres, train stations, etc..
From the scans, they get, unregistered vehicles, people on arrest warrants, broken bail, outstanding fines, previous offences, etc.. then another unit hangs around until the owner turns up at the car..
We've had that for quite a few years now.

Yup...
The system in the cars scans the license plates of the cars/bikes/trucks in parking lots, shopping centres, train stations, etc..
From the scans, they get, unregistered vehicles, people on arrest warrants, broken bail, outstanding fines, previous offences, etc.. then another unit hangs around until the owner turns up at the car..
We have that as well....

You will see tech come soon in vehicles which will detect if you are on the phone other than the linked system to the vehicle) and shut (the phone) off.

The tech is out already which detects the driver's face and if it detects the driver nodding off, will give an alarm and/or steering wheel buzz to wake them.

Ontario needs more money obviously, it's easier if you equip the revenuers to retrieve it.
Yeah..curious to see when they will bring it over here to us.
Our police cars just got a new system implanted that you can scan a drivers license, so you wont have to fill it out by hand.And the tickets get printed in the car rather than handwritten....its still a long road lol

Yeah..curious to see when they will bring it over here to us.
Our police cars just got a new system implanted that you can scan a drivers license, so you wont have to fill it out by hand.And the tickets get printed in the car rather than handwritten....its still a long road lol
My buddy who is a cop in Toronto said only a few cars there have the system so far as it takes up a lot of time for an officer to do it. Of course almost all the police forces are short of officers.

My buddy who is a cop in Toronto said only a few cars there have the system so far as it takes up a lot of time for an officer to do it. Of course almost all the police forces are short of officers.
you are right. Last stand I knew was a couple weeks ago between 150 and 200 officers short in vancouver alone!

Hi. What is the difference talking on the phone or talking to someone next to you?
I think they are targeting people who are actually holding the phone in their hands and/or people texting with the phone in their hands...

Many vehicles today have hands free systems (like my Ram) and this eliminates holding onto the phone.

Distracted driving can be eating, playing with a GPS, etc...not just phone related

I think they are targeting people who are actually holding the phone in their hands and/or people texting with the phone in their hands...

Many vehicles today have hands free systems (like my Ram) and this eliminates holding onto the phone.

Distracted driving can be eating, playing with a GPS, etc...not just phone related
Hi. If they want "SAFETY" where is the 12 point roll cage, funny car cage around the driver sealed so no one can talk to him 6 point 3in belts, back protector, neck brace and full face helmet with an air tube and a fire system in the car.

Hi. If they want "SAFETY" where is the 12 point roll cage, funny car cage around the driver sealed so no one can talk to him 6 point 3in belts, back protector, neck brace and full face helmet with an air tube and a fire system in the car.
You'll have to ask the car manufacturers that question...I'm personally all for those things.

Of course they think having 11 airbags is the substitute...

Yup...

Here in Georgia, ordinary civilians can sign up for that system to be installed on their cars and the county pays them to drive around.

Back