Is the 1999/2000 copper/silver more valuable than the black/grey?

Mobetta7671

Registered
Hello everyone,
I'm new here to the forum but have owned a hayabusa since 2007. I sold mines in 2016 but looking to purchase a 1999 or 2000 unrestricted for collectability.

Here's my dilemma, I have an opportunity to purchase a 2000 copper/silver with 25k miles on it for 6500.dollar.

Or I can buy a 1999 black/gray with 5000 mls on it for 5200. dollars.

Although the black seems like the obvious choice every where on the internet says the copper/silver is the rarest and the one to have.

Your input is welcome and thanks in advance.

Hello everyone,
I'm new here to the forum but have owned a hayabusa since 2007. I sold mines in 2016 but looking to purchase a 1999 or 2000 unrestricted for collectability.

Here's my dilemma, I have an opportunity to purchase a 2000 copper/silver with 25k miles on it for 6500.dollar.

Or I can buy a 1999 black/gray with 5000 mls on it for 5200. dollars.

Although the black seems like the obvious choice every where on the internet says the copper/silver is the rarest and the one to have.

Your input is welcome and thanks in advance.
Now you have posted it for the public!

I would get a gen2.
Much better.... newer....probably less issues if you buy used.
But thats just my opinion!

If you are buying a bike strictly for collecting and not really riding....a low km unmolested bike will always appreciate slightly more than otherwise.

You would have to hold onto that bike for a long time in order for it to appreciate very much though as there were many of them made and a few people have already squirreled copies away which will be worth more in the future.

The more you ride them and mod them, the less they will be worth in the future.

I recently saw a .99 copper/silver model on Kijiji with less than 200kms on it and the guy was asking $10 grand for it. It was advertised for a long, long time and whether it sold, I will never know.

If you want it for collection only, then buy the copper/silver color. That color is classic for the first busa (the father of all)
If you want to drive it, a good gen2 is the best option. But that's just my own thinking.

If you want it for collection only, then buy the copper/silver color. That color is classic for the first busa (the father of all)
If you want to drive it, a good gen2 is the best option. But that's just my own thinking.
^^^
This. Buying a mass produced bike as an investment is unwise, there are too many used ones floating around for even a mint unmolested one to command good money. There are far better things to do with your money if you're looking for a return. If you just want an unrestricted Gen 1 just to have, then the copper is the better color, because it wasn't repeated. A Gen 2 is a better bike to purchase if you plan on riding it.

Hello everyone,
If you have a Hayabusa and you don't drive it, it's like living with a beautiful woman, and the only thing you do with her is watching TV series.. Bought it and drive it. Otherwise leave it and use your money differently. (unless your pocket is too deep!)

If you have a Hayabusa and you don't drive it, it's like living with a beautiful woman, and the only thing you do with her is watching TV series.. Bought it and drive it. Otherwise leave it and use your money differently. (unless your pocket is too deep!)
They are made to be driven and disposed of like everything else today.

I see bikes from the past worth a pile of money for example RG and RZV500 bikes but who is buying these? Guys my age who remember and rode them in the day...will the current/future generation lust for a '99 Busa...probably not but maybe who can tell.

If you want to get a bike to stash away-get the '99 copper edition, keep it stock and put it in your man cave.

If you want to get a bike to ride, either generation Hayabusa is a winner in my books. I chose the Gen 2 because I wanted the latest version of the bike I could find cheap. I lucked out with mine.

They are made to be driven and disposed of like everything else today.

I see bikes from the past worth a pile of money for example RG and RZV500 bikes but who is buying these? Guys my age who remember and rode them in the day...will the current/future generation lust for a '99 Busa...probably not but maybe who can tell.

If you want to get a bike to stash away-get the '99 copper edition, keep it stock and put it in your man cave.

If you want to get a bike to ride, either generation Hayabusa is a winner in my books. I chose the Gen 2 because I wanted the latest version of the bike I could find cheap. I lucked out with mine.
Being worth a pile of money and being a good investment are two very different things. Setting aside for a minute the fickle nature of the vehicle investment market, (426 hemi owners who missed the boat can cry, it's ok...) the amount of money it takes to get classic cars and bikes into collector condition is insane. A lot of those gammas and their brethren are available for far less than what it cost to restore em. Unless you have a time machine it's all but impossible to make money on a mass produced vehicle, you'd have to know what was going to get popular next.

Being worth a pile of money and being a good investment are two very different things. Setting aside for a minute the fickle nature of the vehicle investment market, (426 hemi owners who missed the boat can cry, it's ok...) the amount of money it takes to get classic cars and bikes into collector condition is insane. A lot of those gammas and their brethren are available for far less than what it cost to restore em. Unless you have a time machine it's all but impossible to make money on a mass produced vehicle, you'd have to know what was going to get popular next.
So true.
Since I heard that kawasaki discontinued the zx14 for 2020 I decided to definitely keep mine. Probably put her in long term storage for now as I dont drive her anyways.
Suggested to the wife to put her in living room. She did not like that idea at all....

Yep, agreed.

Restoration is very expensive.

What I meant by the pile of money statement is "bought low and sold high" which makes it a good investment.
I personally see the bottom falling out of the classic bike/car market in a decade or so as the popularity of owning them will dwindle by the upcoming generations.

I thought you drive a car and ride a bike? Lol! I just wanted to post and didn't have anything intelligent to add.

"Is it driving or riding a bike?
You can drive a car, bus, truck, motorcycle, tractor. "Ride" would be necessary for bicycles, horses, donkeys and very large dogs. That being said, the term "cattle drive" is a good example of the word's usage aside from the riding/driving meaning." :banana:

Back