I saw a B-King on the ads... and I fell in love!

CalebG

Registered
Help! I've been looking to upgrade to a bike, and I came across an ad for the 2008/2009 B-King, and I fell in love instantly with the look. I did some Googling and found out about what is powering it, and I feel somewhat intimidated, and also excited.

I am on a humble KTM 250 RC, a more modern bike with ABS and slipper clutch. The lack of those two features is one of the things that are making me consider jumping to the B-King. It's rather rare here in Thailand.

Would it be a better idea for me to look at a more recent bike, like the GSX-S750?

For the B-King I'm looking at in question, the owner says it's 2009, but misunderstandings and "misunderstandings" happen a lot here. It has "M 19,xxx" on the odo, which I assume is miles. Is there anything I should look out for, unique to the B-King?

It looks fairly stock with stock exhausts, with only the mirrors changed, the addition of handguards, and some stickers that I would want to remove.

This would probably replace my KTM, and be my main bike to commute and also to explore the country. Jams are common here (in Bangkok), and that means a lot of start/stop traffic, and possibly squeezing through tight spaces as I lane split and weave. Would it be a "You're on a land yacht, don't bother" or a "Possible with some extra considerations"? I'm not putting in an "It's like the Yamaha Exciter 150" as I feel it's not applicable!

And finally, do you think it'll last for a good while longer?

I think :

the stooped pose on a gsx-r ... won´t be the best choice for thailand unless a superbike handlebar et cetera is assembled for a more upright pose and because of the rather poor roads.

but the b-king would be so much better because it gives you a comfortable upright pose.
and with good maintenance it will stay a very long time with you.
the engine (identical to the haya) itself is good for more than 100,000 mi
and all other parts of the bike more or less also .

and
more power at a original bike you can´t get for money.
at any situations on road.

That's quite a jump from 250 to 1340. What is your riding experience? Regardless, I believe it's manageable as long as you take the learning curve slowly, else, 'misunderstandings'. The platform itself (engine, chassis) is legendary and will not disappoint, but is inclined to surprise the rider (weight, available power). Yes, a good commuter in terms of touring. Many YouTube vids from India (and Los Angeles) demonstrate how the Hayabusa can manage both congested traffic and 'zombies' (wandering pedestrians).

Good luck with your selection! Keep this forum updated with your progress. Nothing more disappointing than a one-post hit-n-run.

I think you need to grab the bike while its on offer , im guessing they're rare in Thailand ?

As HayaWakened mentioned also, its a big but manageable jump in weight and HP, i reckon 'B' mode to help
master the grunt while learning and esp when its raining.
The flat bars and riding position will feel natural coming from the KTM.

The B King like the Busa's have re calls on the rectifier/regulater these are a no expense to you even if your not
the original owner (in NZ anyway). Ive just sold my BKing and the new owner had the valve clearance check
done at 68000kms and no adjustments were needed, they were checked at 21000kms as well.
In the 45000kms i had it the only issue was the ignition key barrel had jammed up , i tried sprays from a locksmith which worked for a while but returned, a new barrel matched to my original key for under NZ$100
and all good again. The expensive bit was getting to it but ok.

When on tour i used Ventura products Motorcycle luggage rack: VENTURA Aerodynamic Bike-Pack System | Dold Industries
and used a topbox with soft panniers as well, enough for two peoples worth of gear including tent/sleeping bags and mats.

IMG-532f06995b8b50de8212b2029665101e-V.jpg

20190127_074130.jpg

IMG-1479279923544-V.jpg

Thanks everyone for your input and concerns.

Yes, I'm concerned about the raw power it has, but it's the same feeling I had when I first got on my KTM. I certainly wouldn't be aggressive with the bike (or any bike) until my confidence in it and myself grows. So if I do get it, using B mode might very well be the case for the first month or so.

I guess my dilemma is focused solely on giving everything I have for it now, or should I save for something "better" in the future.

It's a dilemma because for the first time in a long while, everything in me is saying "Get it!"

Help! I've been looking to upgrade to a bike, and I came across an ad for the 2008/2009 B-King, and I fell in love instantly with the look. I did some Googling and found out about what is powering it, and I feel somewhat intimidated, and also excited.

I am on a humble KTM 250 RC, a more modern bike with ABS and slipper clutch. The lack of those two features is one of the things that are making me consider jumping to the B-King. It's rather rare here in Thailand.

Would it be a better idea for me to look at a more recent bike, like the GSX-S750?

For the B-King I'm looking at in question, the owner says it's 2009, but misunderstandings and "misunderstandings" happen a lot here. It has "M 19,xxx" on the odo, which I assume is miles. Is there anything I should look out for, unique to the B-King?

It looks fairly stock with stock exhausts, with only the mirrors changed, the addition of handguards, and some stickers that I would want to remove.

This would probably replace my KTM, and be my main bike to commute and also to explore the country. Jams are common here (in Bangkok), and that means a lot of start/stop traffic, and possibly squeezing through tight spaces as I lane split and weave. Would it be a "You're on a land yacht, don't bother" or a "Possible with some extra considerations"? I'm not putting in an "It's like the Yamaha Exciter 150" as I feel it's not applicable!

And finally, do you think it'll last for a good while longer?
The GSX-S or F has pretty much the same riding position as the B King and is lighter as well as smaller which might suit your needs a bit more IMO.

I can only wonder where you could use the power of a BKing there...?

Of course this can only be decided by you.

BKings have a bullet proof engine and are as every bit as good as a Hayabusa mechanically.

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies, but after contacting the owner, I found out it does not have the required legal documents, and as much as I like it and it's in great condition, I had to pass. Maybe someday another will pop up, but until then, I'll just be waiting.

Just an update, the few I've found are either asking for outrageous prices, or are not street legal due to lack of documentation. I've been unable to find another, so I booked and did a test drive of the GSX-S 750 earlier today. For the short time I was on it, I enjoyed it immensely, and I am probably going to get it.

Thanks for all the comments, advice, and warnings, you guys have been swell!

Just an update, the few I've found are either asking for outrageous prices, or are not street legal due to lack of documentation. I've been unable to find another, so I booked and did a test drive of the GSX-S 750 earlier today. For the short time I was on it, I enjoyed it immensely, and I am probably going to get it.

@Yellow09 Props!

Just glad Caleb found a bike which will work for him and hope he plans to still hang around...

Back