Professional Engine Builder Needed

Mike S

Registered
Guys I don’t own a bike but have a Hayabusa engine in a Caterham 7. Not much is know about the internals of this engine (Gen 1) but supposedly had 254hp. Have no idea if this is true. I’ve owned the car for a couple of months and have been sorting out issues but recently completed a compression test and readings were 120,100,110,110. I’m looking for an engine builder if I chose to rebuild this engine. Any suggestions would be helpful? I will use this car as my primary trac-day vehicle on road courses.

Guys I don’t own a bike but have a Hayabusa engine in a Caterham 7. Not much is know about the internals of this engine (Gen 1) but supposedly had 254hp. Have no idea if this is true. I’ve owned the car for a couple of months and have been sorting out issues but recently completed a compression test and readings were 120,100,110,110. I’m looking for an engine builder if I chose to rebuild this engine. Any suggestions would be helpful? I will use this car as my primary trac-day vehicle on road courses.

Yeah that’s really low. Is it turbocharged? A base spacer or turbo piston gen 1 will read 130-150psi typically. Cam degree will also swing compression numbers a bit. But if it really did make 245hp, it would have to be a 1441 with some decent compression.

Anyways, I always enjoy a unique project. I also have a car dyno to take care of the tune as well.

Yeah that’s really low. Is it turbocharged? A base spacer or turbo piston gen 1 will read 130-150psi typically. Cam degree will also swing compression numbers a bit. But if it really did make 245hp, it would have to be a 1441 with some decent compression.

Anyways, I always enjoy a unique project. I also have a car dyno to take care of the tune as well.
It’s a 1397 NA build with 12.5 compression. I found this out after posting. Head work and cam specs haven’t been determined yet. Gonna do another compression test today for accuracy verification.

12.5-1 1397 might make 200. No way it's making 250+ no matter what head and cam package.
I suggest you talk to Rob about boost options.

Yeah Mr. Brown it depends on setup and few other things. My customer before his passing made 245 with his manifolds,head and cams, and spec fuel. Your loss is different in the cars than bikes,and also crank hp vs wheel hp..He ran Super 7 Cars....

Yeah Mr. Brown it depends on setup and few other things. My customer before his passing made 245 with his manifolds,head and cams, and spec fuel. Your loss is different in the cars than bikes,and also crank hp vs wheel hp..He ran Super 7 Cars....
On a 12.5 compression 1397 you ain't making 250 hp. Your customer had way more compression and race fuel, or a very happy dyno. @greg3852 and @ogre both had or have good running 1397s, one of which you're very familiar with Daniel, neither of them are anywhere close to 250. My point is that the OP has likely been given some bad information.

No way a street 1397 is making that power. Sounds like a very happy dyno or something told to boost the owners pride. I had a KWS head with more than standard work done to it, 13-1 compresion, cams and it was just under 200hp. With a race fuel maybe 210 on a good day. Without a shot of nitrous it just isn't possible.

On a 12.5 compression 1397 you ain't making 250 hp. Your customer had way more compression and race fuel, or a very happy dyno. @greg3852 and @ogre both had or have good running 1397s, one of which you're very familiar with Daniel, neither of them are anywhere close to 250. My point is that the OP has likely been given some bad information.

Read what the guy car is used for,but I know what I have seen and been beside the cars. I have done busa motors for some of everything. I know a street bike that is a everyday rider is setup and built different than a race spec car.. You must remember some are dyno on engine dyno and some on wheel dyno... Yes I know ogre bike well and a few others other places & over there wink wink. What up bro

Don't care what the setup is, cars will have more loss if anything. OP gave us engine size and compression, you know as well as I do that you won't make 250 whp with that setup. May make that on an engine dyno, but still unlikely, unless you're expecting to see 25% driveline loss.

I'm good bruh. Hope all is well with you.

Don't care what the setup is, cars will have more loss if anything. OP gave us engine size and compression, you know as well as I do that you won't make 250 whp with that setup. May make that on an engine dyno, but still unlikely, unless you're expecting to see 25% driveline loss.

I'm good bruh. Hope all is well with you.
I never stated nor implied this was a WHP figure. Even still as crank rated I know it’s a stretch to get 254 hp. It wasn’t just told to me as bad info it’s also printed in a Caterham book and a magazine review from 2007. The builder built 3 versions: 200hp, 254, 385hp. The later was supercharged. I’m no expert just trying to correct some slight misinformation.

I never stated nor implied this was a WHP figure. Even still as crank rated I know it’s a stretch to get 254 hp. It wasn’t just told to me as bad info it’s also printed in a Caterham book and a magazine review from 2007. The builder built 3 versions: 200hp, 254, 385hp. The later was supercharged. I’m no expert just trying to correct some slight misinformation.
The fact that it's advertising blurb makes sense, manufacturers have inflated hp numbers for decades... regardless, I wasn't knocking you, just wanted to clarify what you actually have. Is it possible that a motor setup like yours is making over 250 at the crank? Highly doubtful. As I said and others have confirmed, a 12.5-1 1397 with head and cams will make in the neighborhood of 200 at the wheel on a bike. Given 10% driveline loss, which is about standard for most bikes, you're still nowhere near the figure you were given. That's all I'm saying, the reason being I didn't want you to get the issues fixed and still think you had problems. Good luck with it.

Back