Brake Caliper Assembly Grease?

@c10
& @Kiwi Rider
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES ! :thumbsup:

@SSGT_B
what pretty nice pictures :thumbsup: i love them
may i eventually take em for my homepage for illustrating better than now?
all the times i cleaned calippers i forgot to make such differentiated pictures - thanks to you for that!

and during the dozens of cleaning i only once needed a new rubber gasket (the thick one).

e.g. some picture how calipers (here form a fj1200) can be after 10 or more years
View attachment 1608059
and the upper dust gasket with crap
View attachment 1608060
after scratching off the crap by finger nails and cleaning with a "workshop towel"
View attachment 1608061
same i did to the lower gasket
built in again
and no problems till today

MY recommendation:
the tocico gen I calipers should be cleaned (deeply) every 12-15,000 miles
because they suck in the dirt, so to speak

Nice photos and description. Feel free to use my pics if you like. They’re not the best but if they help have at it.

Well I must have more air in there. Very spongy and weak. Zip ties again, will manually bleed tomorrow. Can’t get a good reading with vacuum. Gets bubbles even with valve closed.

Well I must have more air in there. Very spongy and weak. Zip ties again, will manually bleed tomorrow. Can’t get a good reading with vacuum. Gets bubbles even with valve closed.

Food-Saver-Pecan-Pie-Image.jpg

my advice is the plumber´s white teflon tape like this
teflonband_2.jpg

he possibly uses for sealing gas pipe threads

I allways put 3 levels of this teflon tape arround bleader´s thread (clutch same)
that way you can use vacuum like this
Hazet%204969-1_3_.gif

without getting air into the hose

if the bleeder´s thread is not teflon taped air passes the "opened" bleader-thread into the vacuum hose and you´re eternal bleeding.
after using my "hazet" vacuum tools (holding a lamp behind the hose to see even the smallest bubble) i bleed the calipers 2 or 3 times in the standard way by the hand pump
and at least
i fix the lever nearly close to the throttle´s grip by a cable tie (or equal) for around 2-4 hours.
that way even the smallest bubbles find their way to the pump´s reservoir !

this "fixing" works best if you have two long caliper hoses .

if you still have the (short) connection hose from the right to the left caliper?
then the fixing won´t help a lot
because a little amount of air perhaps will collect at the highest point of connecting hose what makes your brake spongy and weak then again.
(your calipers you already cleaned so this can´t be the reason for spongy ´n weak brakes)

my experience by dozens of bleedings (calipers or clutch - the same)

if you get bubbles into hose at closed bleeder valve and vacuum is working
the connector of your vacuum tool ist the wrong one / a bit too big or demaged.

Back