Brake Caliper Assembly Grease?

SSGT_B

Registered
I’ve seen a few videos where they are putting in the caliper pistons with a red grease. I’ve always put them together using brake fluid but I am curious as to what the grease is. Anyone use it? Won’t it contaminate the fluid?

@c10. @Kiwi Rider

I’ve seen a few videos where they are putting in the caliper pistons with a red grease. I’ve always put them together using brake fluid but I am curious as to what the grease is. Anyone use it? Won’t it contaminate the fluid?

@c10. @Kiwi Rider
Volvo caliper grease is very good . Used @ some customers request.
I use brake fluid ,and Suzuki manual reference brake fluid.

The red grease is rubber grease, no hydrocarbons to make the seals swell.
But apply the grease very lightly, too much and it can block ports and passages in the caliper assembly.
Brake fluid is recommended for assembly by Suzuki

Yup, I use a rubber grease, as Kiwi said, very light coating. The one I use is marked and certified for use in brake systems.

So the all balls company has a kit that has the seals for both side in on at around 50bucks. It’s 60-80 bucks depending for Suzuki seals to do both sides. Thoughts?

I've never used anything other than brake fluid and never had any issues...overkill?

I bet I could clean n reuse your old ones ;)
Well I ended up doing just that...lol

The seals are very strong . Key to clean them is a Terry towel pulling them through like a rubber band they will stretch, and return to shape . Wet towel with clean brake fluid.

Are your pistons Aluminum?
Zrx's are steel piston in same calipers.

The seals are very strong . Key to clean them is a Terry towel pulling them through like a rubber band they will stretch, and return to shape . Wet towel with clean brake fluid.

Are your pistons Aluminum?
Zrx's are steel piston in same calipers.

That’s how I cleaned them. Whatever they are they have a coating on them. Don’t think they are steel. Went back together nicely. Bled them for a while. Now have the lever zip tied and I’ll do another bleed tomorrow.

@c10
& @Kiwi Rider
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES ! :thumbsup:

@SSGT_B
what pretty nice pictures :thumbsup: i love them
may i eventually take em for my homepage for illustrating better than now?
all the times i cleaned calippers i forgot to make such differentiated pictures - thanks to you for that!

and during the dozens of cleaning i only once needed a new rubber gasket (the thick one).

e.g. some picture how calipers (here form a fj1200) can be after 10 or more years
Bild%2009.gif

and the upper dust gasket with crap
Bild%2013.gif

after scratching off the crap by finger nails and cleaning with a "workshop towel"
Bild%2014.gif

same i did to the lower gasket
built in again
and no problems till today

MY recommendation:
the tocico gen I calipers should be cleaned (deeply) every 12-15,000 miles
because they suck in the dirt, so to speak

Last edited:
I've always used the same brake fluid that the bakes will be using. Some greases will contaminate the fluid

Back