Post pics of your custom paint or plastics please?

My custom Busa

83CFCB0E-0C6F-41DE-9B41-F922F7C0D589.jpeg

D0795E13-BBCF-409D-95CC-A5C55E1E47A3.jpeg

A2787DCB-DC46-43A2-9A7A-017D16C35531.jpeg

41B5FE3B-D9C4-40F7-8D54-07860DA9BC4D.jpeg

Last edited:
Out of curiosity how many cans did that take? There was a guy who worked for my father years ago who could work wonders with a rattle can

I think I used close to 25 cans. The paint I used was dupli color perfect match. They’re small cans so that’s why I used so many. In that 25 can count I used 4 cans of prime and a good amount of clear paint cans. Trick was to primer it and wet sand it smooth. Then paint it with color at less 4 coats and wet sand that. Then clear it and wet sand that to and after that you can do a good buff job. It takes a lot of time. I’m going to try painting it with a paint gun next time.

Who likes flake???? Lol
There are 3 layers of flake above the base, which is actually black, believe it or not! There are also multiple layers of clear to give the flake depth. Unfortunately the pictures dont do it justice, but it looks awesome in the sun.
Here's a link to some video of it.

bike3(1).jpg

Ok so you can only choose one, either be faster than me or have a better looking bike, but not both! LOL that bike is SICK!!!

Had bike painted because it sat outside for years before I bought her and was badly faded . Had to buy another tank because it rusted along with many other parts to bring her back to life and none of the parts matched I have no stickers he painted the kanjis and lettering . I saved this she needed clutch system had to be flushed, brakes system along with pads, fuel pump assemble was trashed, seats, tires, chain .throttle body synch. I think I'm about done I may have injectors flow tested .

Screenshot_20200214-052329_Gallery.jpg

Had bike painted because it sat outside for years before I bought her and was badly faded . Had to buy another tank because it rusted along with many other parts to bring her back to life and none of the parts matched I have no stickers he painted the kanjis and lettering . I saved this she needed clutch system had to be flushed, brakes system along with pads, fuel pump assemble was trashed, seats, tires, chain .throttle body synch. I think I'm about done I may have injectors flow tested .

View attachment 1612845
Good save!

Huge props to the rattle can guys. It does take patience and some know-how.
Down side is the cost.By the time you buy a huge supply of cans of primer,base coat,and clear. Paper to wet sand,etc etc...it's not really that cost effective. if you are picking a color off the shelf,cool. if you want a one of a kind it can be done.A quality supply house can mix you any color you want and put it in a spray bomb,but you pay more.
If you c an swing it,beg or borrow all the items you need.
Get a space somewhere,buddies garage whatever. Hang some poly to stop the over spray from fuggin up everything in the shop.IE make a booth. A window with some sort of filter and fan to exhaust is optimal as you will be walking around in a cloud of paint.Fresh air in...paint cloud out.Ask for some tips from anybody who knows. Like moving the gun say...dont swing it like a rattle can,in that arc motion you see everybody do. Start of arc,paint to thin on surface.Middle of the arc,too thick.Just little things like that.Move your body/feet,not your arm.Start spraying before the the part,stop spraying past the part. Wet the floor so as you drag your whip hose around you wont kick up a cloud of dirt,dust and over spray that will land in your paint. Qwik and easy...prime paint. Better job , prime,paint,clear,wet sand to remove imperfections and the dreaded "orange peel." If yer planning to wet sand make sure to lay enuff paint down on edges and contours.You will sand right thru if you have not layed it thick enuff.
Borrow or rent what you need. Might be cheaper than 25-30 cans in the rattle format. Post up here or start yer own thread to get advice.Lots of knowledge on here.
Painting is fun as heck,super rewarding to stand back and say I did that.
Fug up a part...wait for it to dry,sand it,try again. I painted one of my Busa's about 20 years ago. Stock busa has 7 painted parts,when I was done...37 painted parts.Only messed up one,the tank.DOH! no worries,re-paint. Here's that one...the color was Patriot Blue.Painted in my garage,taught myself with some advice from a friend.
Rubb.

Back