Which could be the next Fukushima nuclear plant?

metter

Registered
The recent Japanese nuclear crisis raised another global panic against the safety of nuclear energy, me, one little fragile mortal of course show no difference. I’ve spent some time to search for the next Fukushima-like nuclear power plant that seems impeccable at the time but actually very dangerous if met some criteria.
Although one non-authority and non-resourceful individual couldn’t do too much contribution, I actually found one possible candidate—the First phase of Qinshan nuclear power plant in Haiyan County, Zhejiang Province of China.
In 1984, Chinese tried to break the blockage of nuclear energy, and started to construct their own 300 megawatt nuclear power plant. But before they even built something, they’ve already planned to build another nuclear plant, the Dayawan plant. And this time, they chose to place it near Hong Kong. In their word, they tried to support the flourish of Hong Kong’s future, they even invited Hong Kong electricity provider as joint shareholder. Of course Hong Kong people protested such decision, also at that time British government tried to negotiate with the Chinese about the final settlement of Hong Kong colony. You can call it badger or blackmail, the British eventually agreed to help out. May be the British were gentlemen, but they were not stupid; they only provided external circuit, the steam generator, and let the French support reactor part, also had the American take care of safety issue. The later plant completed in 1994, the Qinshan plant made its first test run in 1991 and “coincidently†fully functioned in 1994.
Now that the blockage seemed broken, but were Chinese really master the power of nuclear energy? No more completely homemade nuclear plant showed otherwise, so let’s assume that there was something still not right.
Their next move was began to build 600 megawatt reactors, the Qinshan-2. This time they design the reactor by themselves, and planned to build by themselves and run by themselves, but leaved the core components to the foreigners(mainly French) to fill in. It’s like if you really want to know someone, you should make intimate contact with him(her); you talk with him, you work with him, you eat with him, you sleep with him, you even f*ck with him…you may also design some particular scenes in order to study special characters.
But apparently the Chinese underestimated the complexity of plant type of nuclear reactor, and the damn British’s move was too ambiguous. So they had Canadian(Qinshan-3, 700 megawatt), French (Aolin reactor, one gigawatt) and Russia (Tianwan reactor, one gigawatt) each built one for them.
Now time to make a laugh. You know, at that time one US dollar can buy eight US dollar products in China. After all those bustle, when they were asked to build their own one gigawatt nuclear plant, the answer was that they dared not do that, because they didn’t have too much technology accumulation.( http://focus.news.163.com/11/0413/13/71HB10HB00011SM9_2.html)
Ok, that was all the past, the nuclear rector has moved on to third generation, and China has already become third generation test field. You can’t spook the foreigners away because the Japanese nuclear crisis. We are here to talk about the Qinshan-1 reactor, It seems that at least one major problem still bothers them. Because they tried to play the badger game again by helping Pakistan build nuclear power plant (two 300 megawatt already built and two more on schedule) and admitted after recent Japanese nuclear crisis, that they were using same old technology that could trace back to 1970s. (http://www.dawn.com/2011/03/24/china-pushes-ahead-pakistan-nuclear-plant-expansion.html)
All right, let’s take a wild guess what still puzzles them. Environment issue? Too much radiation? No, the Qinshan plant already has five reactors and they’re planning to add two more, can’t be that audacious. So what’s really matter then? Let’s see, they are ok with nuclear submarine, and seem barely ok with 300 megawatt reactor, but not with one gigawatt. May be there is control issue? I have to say I’m not a nuclear expert, I only made out of college. But I know how fast is chain reaction, if you don’t pay attention, it shall develop into nuclear explosion.
At first, it’s just wild guess, but soon I found some proof. Here (http://baike.baidu.com/view/41320.htm) it says because Qinshan-1 was the first, they leave plenty of safety margin on all the factors. And when gain enough operation experience, can produce 10% more power, that is 330 megawatt. Now if look into the actual power output of Pakistan reactor, it’s also 330 megawatt. (http://www.france24.com/en/20110512-pakistan-opens-china-backed-nuclear-power-plant) How coincident!
The only answer is that they can’t really control the monster; the runtime nuclear energy output must be fluctuated. The question is how high is the peak output (since they can’t even build 600 megawatt reactor, it must be very high)? And what measure do they use to control the output? If by moving the control rods (again I’m not expert), what will happen if some mechanical error occurred. Or what will happen if the shell was fatigued?
What I’m trying to say is that if there really is some danger in it, now it’s the time to put down your pride or disguise. You want to play game, that’s your business. My life is mine.

#ArizonaEmergency ~ #NuclearPowerPlantWarning ~ #THEoRg *

#NaturalGas ~ #NuclearPlants #ShouldNotModulatePower ~ #THEoRg *

Back