01-07 Hayabusa Cam Chain Tensioner

Specialk8022

Registered
2003 Hayabusa, 41K... I recently installed a manual cam chain tensioner due to stock automatic cam chain tensioner being worn out. Poor performance, rattling, and upon removal it was running on the last two teeth (see picture). After installing a new manual tensioner, bike runs great. No more slow speed hesitation or rattling, no more puffs of smoke after hard acceleration, and it could be my imagination but it feels like I got 5 to 10 hp back. My question: since the new tensioner is pushing the chain further in (exactly what I want it to do) is my timing still off? Maybe the timing's a little advanced? Do I need to tear her down and replace chain before my valves kiss a pistons? This is an ongoing debate I having with a friend and any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

When in doubt, throttle out!!

20191020_134001.jpg

I would say NO tightening the cam chain will not change timing. The cam sprockets are still turning in exact time with the crankshaft sprocket. Jumping a tooth would drastically change the timing but that would be more likely if your cam chain was loose.

I can see why you would ask that because there seems there could be a bit less lag with a tight chain than there might be with a loose chain. I have never heard of a need to adjust timing according to cam chain tension.

I have an APE on my 2008 ZX-14 and I have been very happy with it for about 9 years. I haven't needed to adjust the tension since installing it.

^this. But for all you folks that do go with a manual cam chain tensioner, please be sure NOT to over tighten it or you could make a rattle can out of the head of your engine by your chain breaking. Just sayin'. lol

At this point my chain is stretched beyond the point of the stock automatic tensioner functionality. So it's time for a tear down and rebuild(upgrade)if I'm going to replace the chain.
I have about 900 miles on the manual tensioner so far and it seems to be good. I'm in MN and only have a couple good days of riding left if I'm lucky due to the climate here.
I haven't figured out witch route I'm going to go yet with a rebuilt. Stock, 1397. Not sure. I tour with the bike so not going to go crazy but I have to do something.
Thanks for the input.

If the chain is stretched due to excessive wear, yes the valve timing will be not exactly as it is when new and tensioned correctly.
In other words, the timing will be a little retarded.
I have recently replaced my cam chain on my 99 Busa, it is possible to do it without removing the motor, a little tricky, but do-able.
How many miles do you have on your engine?
Mine had 115,000km (72,000 miles) and it was stretched for sure.
I have an APE manual tensioner and setting the tension is crucial, it’s gotta be set right or the chain will slap if too loose, or stretch and load the bearing journal in the head if too tight.
The procedure is given by APE on their website on how to get the tension just right.
As for performance, I installed stage 1 Yoshi spec cams at the same time as replacing the chain so can’t really say if a new chain improved performance. I know the new cams did !!

If the chain is stretched due to excessive wear, yes the valve timing will be not exactly as it is when new and tensioned correctly.
In other words, the timing will be a little retarded.
I have recently replaced my cam chain on my 99 Busa, it is possible to do it without removing the motor, a little tricky, but do-able.
How many miles do you have on your engine?
Mine had 115,000km (72,000 miles) and it was stretched for sure.
I have an APE manual tensioner and setting the tension is crucial, it’s gotta be set right or the chain will slap if too loose, or stretch and load the bearing journal in the head if too tight.
The procedure is given by APE on their website on how to get the tension just right.
As for performance, I installed stage 1 Yoshi spec cams at the same time as replacing the chain so can’t really say if a new chain improved performance. I know the new cams did !!
41,000 miles, stretched for sure as you can see in picture. I was running on the last two teeth of the automatic tensioner. I installed a APE manual tensioner aswell. I also dropped oil after 500 miles and had no shavings. It made a huge difference in drivability on low Rpms, power, no high rpm smoke, and no more rattling. 900 miles on manual tensioner now. I don't know yet what I'm gonna do, just chain in the bike and/or drop it out, split the case and build it.
Thanks for the input.

41,000 miles, stretched for sure as you can see in picture. I was running on the last two teeth of the automatic tensioner. I installed a APE manual tensioner aswell. I also dropped oil after 500 miles and had no shavings. It made a huge difference in drivability on low Rpms, power, no high rpm smoke, and no more rattling. 900 miles on manual tensioner now. I don't know yet what I'm gonna do, just chain in the bike and/or drop it out, split the case and build it.
Thanks for the input.
It sounds like you know your engine, which ever way you go, keep us informed on your progress. . . If you need any advice there are many members here that can give sound advice. :race:

Back