Building a Hayabusa Super Bike over time VS Aprilia ,BMW , Ducati

c10

Registered
The latest issue of Cycle World prompted this comparison along with last weekends battles of RJ VS Aprilia 1100 Tuano with race ECU , and goodies . Today I broke down some numbers for oil / fuel / coolant weights to use Cycle Worlds dry weight specs of the RSV4 1100 , S1000 RR , and Panigale V4 . So first is the hard specs for you as follows. I gave all three super bikes a 41 pound add to get wet weight . this is 4.5 gallons of fuel @ 6.1 lb per gallon , 6.4 pounds for 3.2 quarts of coolant , and 7 pounds for 3.8 quarts of oil .

Aprilia
190 hp
82.1 Tq
Dry 427 lb wet 468 lb making for 2.46 lb per HP , and 5.7 lb per Lb of Torque

BMW
182.7 Hp
77.1 Tq
Dry 412 lb wet 453 lb making 2.47 lb per HP , and 5.87 lb per lb of Tq

Ducati
186 Hp
79.6 Tq
Dry 420 lb wet 461 lb making 2.47 lb per HP , and 5.79 lb per lb of Tq

These Figures are Wet weight pounds per power units not DRY Weight .

Now good old RJ the Hayabusa

207 Hp
116 Tq
Dry Unkown
Wet 496 full of fuel ( 5.5 gallons , 3.8 qt coolant , 1 gallon oil ) = 2.39 lb Per Hp 4.27 lb per lb of Torque .

I was asked at the Rally this last weekend how RJ was performing beyond what people expected . I did not want to let all my secretes out , but did give the HP # , and let a few people sit on RJ to feel the weight . Shocked was their responses .

So all these Super bikes will run you 22,000 to 28,000 BMW being the lowest , and ready to roll . To build a Hayabusa to same caliber about 22,150
What will the Hayabusa have for 22K you ask ?
10,000 Purchase for a good used late Gen 2
$3500 BST wheels
$650 worth of light brake rotors
Titanium Axles $500 from Unit #5 front / rear
$1000 Misc Titanium hardware
$ 900 to 1500 Rear Shock
$1500 Titanium Exhaust

The beautiful thing is you can take years to build a bird like this . Myself , @ROADTOAD1340 , @fallenarch , and i'm sure a few lurkers have Birds with this much coin / nice parts invested . It was well wort it to me to make it my own .

20191016_161009.jpg

I think the Busa engine holds its own against anything. It’s in the twisties or on a track that the true strength of the Tuono shines. I’d love to ride a Panigale :)

Very different bikes! The V4 is very nimble and refined compared to the Hayabusa. I think in a drag race all things being equal the Hayabusa would win. The V4 has a taller 1st gear, but from a slight roll my money is on the V4. Road course the V4 will run away. I have both and havent ridden the Hayabusa in quite awhile, I try to stay off the V4 also but.:banghead:

Reading this makes me realize how much money I’ve spent on cosmetic mods. I have just as much or more money in my bike, but don’t have fancy shocks, trick brake rotors or titanium hardware all around. :laugh:

Very different bikes! The V4 is very nimble and refined compared to the Hayabusa. I think in a drag race all things being equal the Hayabusa would win. The V4 has a taller 1st gear, but from a slight roll my money is on the V4. Road course the V4 will run away. I have both and havent ridden the Hayabusa in quite awhile, I try to stay off the V4 also but.:banghead:

They are completely different its amazing.
I've noticed so far

Hayabusa transmission is so smooth.
V4 you have to kick that b1tch into gear. Maybe cause it's only got 200 miles on it and still breaking in.

Hayabusa in a straight line feels like a planted train. Mines turbo so speed cant be compared between the two.
For a 1100cc bike the V4 moves out.
Cant take over 8000 rpm yet as ducati seems to frown upon that.

V4 handles like no ones business. So easy to flick around.
Brakes on the v4 are great.
V4 runs hot. Expected since it's a 14 compression ratio and one head sits directly underneath your balls.

Hayabusa runs so cool in comparison

The v4 you cant tear the engine down and rebuild it with forged everything. You can build a busa with awesome parts for relatively inexpensive. For me this let's me overlook the older electronics and nanny controls.

The v4 is the hot mistress you take to a dinner party and everyone stares at.
The busa is the wife that walks into the party uninvited and knocks that b1tch in the face.

I love them both

Last edited:
RJ is still on a diet with constant consideration of parts . How much more can be removed is not much , and still retain Tour / Stock appearance ( sleeper look ) Titanium swing arm pivot , rear axle , Brembo clutch master will net about 20 ounces total . I imagine 490 is about the limit without going to a striped down level .
A stock seat is 2 lb lighter than the Tour seat , the battery could be reduced to race saving 1 pound , Alum sub frame swap , Carbon fiber parts like fairing support , and a Yosh alum tank could take RJ into the mid to low 480's wet . Also one could recalculate RJ to same fuel lvl as Super bikes @ 4.5 gallons saving 6.1 lb ;)

I imagine Andrews L2 is in the low 480's

It would be a never ending battle to keep an older platform like a Hayabusa relevant while the superbikes of today are constantly moving forward in power and technology. I think almost all of them are well over 200 hp at the crank these days.

All it takes is superbike owners to start their mods and the job of defeating them gets harder and harder. Reminds me somewhat of trying to keep the most modern up to date computer or phone...just when you are at the top of the heap, along comes the 2.0 version...

Of course it's all moot if you love your bike enough.

I know of a fellow Aussie who just scored himself a lovely Yoshi aluminum tank , really a great weight saving to be had as well , I know he is happy . Personally , I still have to swap out my current ti pivot axle for the lighter unit 5 piece , maybe some other small things , but really , I am planning power update for the Busa more than any other chassis weight reduction mods . The bike is pretty light , it certainly feels very light , and I just want the dollars to be spread across 2 bikes now , with the ZX14R getting built up , I feel I got 1 fairly finished to a point (the L2 ) , and the other on going . I don't have comprehensive insurance for either bike , if I damage or total one , it is on my own back ... and therefore , I like the 2 bike $ spread .
The Busa is fun to mod for sure , there are great stuff out there for any ones taste for build , and yes, you can go the way we have for a great handling alternative to a liter bike , with that lovely torque that only the big bore motors can deliver . You do have to remember though , the hyper bikes were basically drag race straight line top speed machines first , then handling 2nd , whereas the 1000 's are already handlers and have a head start there . If you can get your bike where you are happy with it , enjoyable everywhere to ride , can be good enough for most .

Last edited:
Back