Changed plugs and now the bike is louder

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
Right, I don’t believe it either. :laugh: An apparent newbie, IMO a very gullible newbie from Austria on the Z900RS forum said that he had his 14k service done and the shop changed his plugs, he said, to iridiums and added that the motor now sounds like it has a higher pitch, like a sewing machine and the service tech said the sound would change with more miles but no other explanation. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing, and believed it? Another commenter suggested that maybe an O ring has disappeared from his chain and that once he finds where it came from, he can simply (replace the O ring) which should fix the sound...manoman! Can you believe these guys? I’ve run into gullible people before and people that knew very little about internal combustion engines but...:confused:

I Once changed out the winter air for summer air in my tires around June holy crap the difference that made LOL

Although I never have heard of changing spark plugs making a difference in the way the motor sounded unless the other ones were extremely beyond reproach

#FuelPrices ~ #FunnyThingAboutCalifornia ~ #HardToBelieve ~ #THEoRg *

There are many different reasons why the engine may sound “different” after changing plugs. . .
Here’s one possibility, maybe a large wax plug dislodged from his right ear coincidentally at the same moment as he hit the starter button as he was picking up his bike from the shop?? Maybe????
I mean honestly, c’mon. . . What are these guys talkin about?
Hey, ya never know, the tech may have put the incorrect grade of oil in the bike. . .

I’ve gotta change the muffler bearings and blinker fluid before my next ride too...

Here’s what he actually posted,

“after 14k km I made the 3rd service @ my Kawa dealer/workshop and they changed regarding maintenance plan also the iridium spark plugs.
now the sound of my z900rs is a lot different. I mean it is not louder, but somehow more at "higher frequencies" like a sewing machine - so in my subjective impression a lot worse, I would say.
the guy at the workshop said that after some time it will change to normal again, but it did not (got 16k km now).
power is normal.
still got the stock exhaust.

Anyone experienced the same or similar?

got the bike back from the service
sound was different
I asked the guy from the workshop "why"
he said, "thats because of the new spark plugs - will change after some km"
but it did not”

Last edited:
Right, I don’t believe it either. :laugh: An apparent newbie, IMO a very gullible newbie from Austria on the Z900RS forum said that he had his 14k service done and the shop changed his plugs, he said, to iridiums and added that the motor now sounds like it has a higher pitch, like a sewing machine and the service tech said the sound would change with more miles but no other explanation. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing, and believed it? Another commenter suggested that maybe an O ring has disappeared from his chain and that once he finds where it came from, he can simply (replace the O ring) which should fix the sound...manoman! Can you believe these guys? I’ve run into gullible people before and people that knew very little about internal combustion engines but...:confused:
Saying sewing machine makes me think cam chain and being in the shop maybe possible oil was changed and something different used causing a difference in sound, but for someone to believe the spark plugs are making it sound different is hilarious. Almost as funny as a buddy who put e3 spark plugs in his gixxer 600 and swears they gave it more power and actually tries to genuinely keep it a secret cause he don't want everyone to go out and do it.

Yup, it’s the old ‘Chinese whispers’ syndrome. . . Someone says it to someone else, then they say it to someone else etc etc and before ya know it... it ain’t nothing like the original statement lol

In germany we called it silent messenger. Same thing. You sit in a circle in school or kindergarden and you whisper it in each others ear and see what comes out at the last person...lol

There IS a subtle change in noise after changing plugs, though a touch quieter if anything, in my experience. Defimetly nothing significantly louder or quieter.

There IS a subtle change in noise after changing plugs, though a touch quieter if anything, in my experience. Defimetly nothing significantly louder or quieter.
No, there absolutely is not. Think about what plugs do. You're saying A) you can hear a spark being created or igniting a mixture, and B) you can hear it clearly enough to notice a change. That is not humanly possible.

Yeah but with the German accent it’s gonna be difficult to hear the whispered words correctly :rolleyes:
...says the Kiwi... :banana:

hF5CA4E24.gif

No, there absolutely is not. Think about what plugs do. You're saying A) you can hear a spark being created or igniting a mixture, and B) you can hear it clearly enough to notice a change. That is not humanly possible.
What I'm saying is, as well as feeling the difference a new set makes,I hear it also, which stands to reason, given enough thought and possibly experience. Akin to an oil change. Though that's markedly more noticeable.

Back