Thinking about coming back

Stilslo

Registered
Hey all, former Busa junkie going thru withdrawals lol. I traded in my 2011 after about 40k miles for a new GSXR1000. I do around 4 trips from SWFL to the dragon a year. The Gixxer was too uncomfortable for the 600 or so mile trip to the mountains. I picked up a Triumph Tiger, didn't like it. I currently have a BMW S1000XR. Freakin unbelievably fantastic bike when it's not in the shop. Problem is, after only 14k miles, it's been in the shop a lot. I'm going back to Japanese reliability and thinking about just getting a new Busa and setting it up for sport touring. Have their been any noteworthy changes since my 2011? Any news on next years model?

Hey all, former Busa junkie going thru withdrawals lol. I traded in my 2011 after about 40k miles for a new GSXR1000. I do around 4 trips from SWFL to the dragon a year. The Gixxer was too uncomfortable for the 600 or so mile trip to the mountains. I picked up a Triumph Tiger, didn't like it. I currently have a BMW S1000XR. Freakin unbelievably fantastic bike when it's not in the shop. Problem is, after only 14k miles, it's been in the shop a lot. I'm going back to Japanese reliability and thinking about just getting a new Busa and setting it up for sport touring. Have their been any noteworthy changes since my 2011? Any news on next years model?
2013 to present Basically ABS and the Brembo brakes...

What type of problems did the BMW have?

Love it, but can't deal with the reliability

2661890.jpg

No new changes aside from color on the 2020 model.

In 14k miles on the XR, I'm on my third battery, the ignition went out on a trip in Georgia, and my water pump just went out in North Carolina last week. In 40k miles on the Busa, I just changed oil, plugs, filter, and added gas.
I work at the BMW franchise, and we have a S1000XR coming in for regular servicing etc.
I will say this . . I could not believe the cam chain noise this bike has.
On initial start up (warm or cold) it sounds so loud and so bad you would swear the chain is running on a bare metal guide with no pressure from the tensioner. Then while running it still is excessively noisey.
I was told that after the customer complained about the abnormal noise, BMW came back with . .
" It is still in serviceable condition and not to be concerned about it"
Unbelievable.
Apparently the engine had little noise until 500 miles or thereabouts, then the chain started screaming.
They are a lovely bike to ride, quick, responsive, sharp handling and the brakes . . . oh the brakes!!

Last edited:
I feel your pain on the BMW. Water pumps are a known weakness on several models. They are amazing bikes when they work but sometimes what goes wrong is amazing. Took my K1600 in for a tire change at 6K miles and a big chunk of paint delaminated from the rim. I never feel sure I'm going to get where I'm going when I head out on that bike.

BMW=Big Money Wasted....
Lol! Not exactly. BMW's are built like cars (there is a difference when you are selling a couple million copies). The build quality is stunningly well designed down to the bolt. The feeling of quality is very dominant in the riding experience. The brakes are the best money can buy, and I say this with experience on "the best money can buy" part. The double wishbone front end is fabulous once you get the hang of it (not for racing though). The electronics are super sophisticated too, you don't ever catch them sticking our from behind the curtain - they just work. I have to mention the adaptive headlight that will change your expectations of motorcycle lighting. And that's what is so frustrating about the bikes. How can you domesticate such complex wizardry and completely fail on things the cheapest motorcycle company got right on their first knock-off bike? BMW's spit fluid from brand new water pumps. They pull to the left (K1600), the shocks leak, they have coating problems, etc. How can a company be so far ahead of anyone and make these kind of mistakes?

Not a day goes by when I don't consider selling my K1600. Not a ride goes by that I'm not amazed what this bike can do when it works.

Everyone I know who owns a BMW whether it's a car or bike all say as soon as the warranty is going to end, they are getting rid of it. I like their products just not their reliability. Kind of reminds me of the old 2 strokes...when they were running-look out, when they weren't-it was often.

All except my brother that is, he is able to work on his own bikes thankfully.

His computer fried on his way to work and caught fire, he put the fire out and normal people would have junked the bike but he replaced almost everything electronic on it and is riding it today.

Historically, BMW has had reliability issues from the beginning. I've been asked by so many people why not trade my 2011 for a faster S1KRR and it's because the BMW will not offer me near what my Gen 2 does.

As for changes, just as mentioned previously the Brembo brakes and colors are the only differences.

I work at the BMW franchise, and we have a S1000XR coming in for regular servicing etc.
I will say this . . I could not believe the cam chain noise this bike has.
On initial start up (warm or cold) it sounds so loud and so bad you would swear the chain is running on a bare metal guide with no pressure from the tensioner. Then while running it still is excessively noisey.
I was told that after the customer complained about the abnormal noise, BMW came back with . .
" It is still in serviceable condition and not to be concerned about it"
Unbelievable.
Apparently the engine had little noise until 500 miles or thereabouts, then the chain started screaming.
They are a lovely bike to ride, quick, responsive, sharp handling and the brakes . . . oh the brakes!!

Yeah, the cam chain tensioner is another known problem with the S1000. Luckily that’s the one issue I haven’t had.

I feel your pain on the BMW. Water pumps are a known weakness on several models. They are amazing bikes when they work but sometimes what goes wrong is amazing. Took my K1600 in for a tire change at 6K miles and a big chunk of paint delaminated from the rim. I never feel sure I'm going to get where I'm going when I head out on that bike.

And that’s my issue. When I go on a trip, I’m always wondering if the bike is going to make it.

my only bmw experience is my C650GT scooter I bought new earlier this year. 5500 miles on it and not a problem yet (fingers crossed).
To me, the fit and finish is top notch and the brakes and suspension is also amazing. No other scoot available in the US right now is probably gonna compare in almost every category.
funny enough though...the engine is made by Kymco, which I'm ok with since Kymco has a pretty good rep. I have a little kymco 150 spade I beat on and its been rock solid.
Rode it to deals gap a few months ago with a buddy riding his bmw c600 sport scoot and neither one missed a beat. the low center of gravity and the 650 cc's plus the suspension made for a blast on the dragon

Last edited:
Back