#RIP to my Busa engine - Advice Needed

BlackHammer

Registered
Hey Org,

Fried my piston rings over the weekend at a burnout competition, *had to represent for the street bikes as I was the only one in the competitions* got first and second place in other events...the burnout board is where I run into my issue. I overheated the bike, big time. I had a moment of stupidity and neglected to watch my temp and to be completely honest, this was the first burnout I could pull off without risk of getting a ticket so I was excited as all hell!! Bike has roughly 8k miles on it, got it with 3600 on it, got it from the original owner, I don't know what work or maintenance had been done on it, but I had cleaned out the injectors, fuel system, oil change etc etc.

*What happened*:
After the second burnout, the bike overheated, coolant was leaking out, I couldn't make out if I blew a hose or if it was coming from the overflow tank. I rolled the bike out of the way and it would not start. Pushed the bike into the shade, let her cool off. She started up just fine and idled like a champ, but I had smoke coming out of the exhaust. Any time I blipped the throttle large puffs of smoke were coming out, and I had little droplets of oil coming out of the exhaust. At this point I turned the bike off and it hasn't been on since. Took her home in my truck and she sits in her cave, awaiting the operation.

I believe that it's my piston rings because of the fact the smoke largely increases when the throttle is open. I ordered a compression test gauge, going to use that tonight and get the readings and see if the wet test will confirm my ring theory. In the meantime, I'm looking at getting a 1390 kit from APE since this will replace my pistons, rings, and cylinder head...and make some gains in the process.

After talking with a few people on here, doing the engine build myself would surely cause some issues as I have the mechanical skill..just not the patience or space and I think 'm going to let the pro's handle this one.

My question is, should I have this motor rebuilt with the 1390 kit and have the 2nd and 6th gear undercut while it's apart? Or, buy a used engine and plop it in and call it a day. Or should I take a stab at a rebuild but just realistically acknowledge it will take upwards of a year to do things the right way since I'm not working with 2k to play with right now. Just want to get all my options on the table.

*Also going to paint this bad boy over the winter if y'all want pics and progress updates let me know, but first things first I need to figure out what route to go with this engine*

If you can find a motor that’s already done and works right buy it. But your taking a gamble. Depends on how much time you have. I say go for a rebuild. Some days I wish I did that so I can say I built my motor. But money money. 1397 will be a nice upgrade.

If you can find a motor that’s already done and works right buy it. But your taking a gamble. Depends on how much time you have. I say go for a rebuild. Some days I wish I did that so I can say I built my motor. But money money. 1397 will be a nice upgrade.
For sure, the money part is what is getting me at the moment, tax season is right around the corner and I have some options for quick cash if it came down to it, but I also would love to say, "I built my motor" We all know the pride that comes along with tackling a large project! But to say I built that Busa motor...that's pride times a thousand.

I may be jumping the gun here, but is there any in depth guide on here that includes all of the tips and tricks, the little intricacies and tribal knowledge for rebuilding these motors? If I am going to rebuild I would want to throw together a guide or thread that could help some others out in the future. A complete cost, materials, instructions guide. I wouldn't mind throwing it together, documenting and whatnot if I had the support of everyone with the know-with-all on the subject matter.

It is yours. Whenever you want it.
eBay Bruh :beerchug:
I may be jumping the gun here, but is there any in depth guide on here that includes all of the tips and tricks, the little intricacies and tribal knowledge for rebuilding these motors? If I am going to rebuild I would want to throw together a guide or thread that could help some others out in the future. A complete cost, materials, instructions guide. I wouldn't mind throwing it together, documenting and whatnot if I had the support of everyone with the know-with-all on the subject matter.
Sure is a bunch of info called the service manual follow EVERY SINGLE STEP to the letter and even my wife could do it

So much info out there now days to build a motor almost anyone can do it. This isn’t a crazy build. If you do build it yourself. Have a company size the pistons to the cylinders and have them gap the rings for you. That will take a mistake out of the build. Then you know motor should last and makes life easier. Next get the equipment to set cam timing and your golden. That’s probably the most stressful part of the whole build. Get that right and everything else should be cake wake.

Hahaha definitely, I talked to Frank, I think I'm going to just drop it off to the professionals, at this time I'm about to move and to start something this particular would be silly.

How are you gonna fix that urge to compete in ridiculous burnout competitions?

How are you gonna fix that urge to compete in ridiculous burnout competitions?

clinical-psychology-job-description.jpg

I took the head off and re did the piston rings with the manual. I'm no mechanic but with some prior reading of the manual I did alright.

Definitely do a leak down test. Sounds like you warped the cylinder head. If so a new head gasket and ebay special cylinder head and your back in business.

Back