Shock/spring recommendations for 72 wb gen 2

sicksixty

Registered
Hi guys,

Bike is a 2009 with a sidewinder and tune. Rest of the motor is stock.
72" wheelbase. I'm 190lbs suited.

Looking for shock/spring options.
Thank you!

I gotta ask, why in the hell is the bike that long? That's way too much arm for a stock motor.
As far as shock recommendation, get with a sponsor and buy a JRI, Penske or Ohlins built to your specs. A stock shock is useless for your application.

I looked at the specs for that huge Indian Chief and it's wheelbase is only 68.1” and the overall length is a whopping 103.5”. That’s over eight feet. Isn’t our wheelbase around 58”? Maybe it’s a dragbike with wheelie bars?

Yes, it is a drag bike that will see a little street time every once in awhile.
It will be getting a 60-80 shot as well.

It will also be on a shinko hook up tire if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

I looked at the specs for that huge Indian Chief and it's wheelbase is only 68.1” and the overall length is a whopping 103.5”. That’s over eight feet. Isn’t our wheelbase around 58”? Maybe it’s a dragbike with wheelie bars?
Yeah, 58 is commonly accepted as stock wheelbase but it's a fraction more. The op's bike has a long swingarm. With a stock motor, 14 over is pointless. Now if a guy likes the look of the arm, so be it, but it's counter productive if you're trying to race. The tire will unload and spin for days....

Yes, it is a drag bike that will see a little street time every once in awhile.
It will be getting a 60-80 shot as well.

It will also be on a shinko hook up tire if that makes any difference.

Thanks!
Even spraying the full 80 out the gate you've got too much arm. At 72" you're in grudge bike territory, and those guys are 500+ hp.
As I said, if you're dead set on keeping it that long an aftermarket drag shock is your only option. You can't set up the stock shock to be effective at that length.

Thanks for the input. What are the issues with going too long on the arm as long as the bike hooks?

I'm looking to be able to put the most power down and not pick the tire up on the launch.

Also, not looking to use the stock shock/spring. I'm leaning towards a custom penske shock at the moment.

Sounds good. I will definitely look into them. Do you run an M2 shock?
At the moment I don’t. But that’s the next thing Iam buying for the bike as I have maxed out what I can get from a stock gen 2 shock on my bike. A friend of mine just got his m2 and loves it. They ask a lot of questions so they can build you the shock as close to what you will need.

Thanks for the input. What are the issues with going too long on the arm as long as the bike hooks?

I'm looking to be able to put the most power down and not pick the tire up on the launch.

Also, not looking to use the stock shock/spring. I'm leaning towards a custom penske shock at the moment.
The major issue is lack of traction. With the rear wheel that far back and not enough power to transfer weight to make it stick, it will spin. I know you said "as long as it hooks", the question becomes what tire pressure do you have to run to make it hook? The lower the pressure the higher the rolling resistance, the slower you go. You want it to hook at the highest pressure possible, and to do that you have to transfer weight. Yes, a drag shock will absolutely help you do this, but an arm that long is working against you.

Nothing wrong with 72” on a stock motor bike for drag racing. I have had 3 aftermarket arms on my 2008, each progressively longer and would like my current arm to be an inch longer lol. Depending on your track the hookup will be marginal. I run M2 shocks on both my bikes and am very happy with them. Marcus will get you set up well. Fill out the form on his website and get the quote back.

Damn, that sure looks like a short race. How soon before just 500’ then 100 then from one cross walk to the other? Is the purpose really just to see how fast someone can run before shifting into 4th or what?

Back