10-Year Anniversary Freshen-up

@fallenarch on vacation and still checking the forum periodically to see the finished product. Is Sunday Willie, don’t tell us you have some deadline to meet on a building design and had to work through the weekend! Lol!

Unfortunately it's going to go slow. The rest of the summer is pretty busy with events on the weekends. Also work is picking up. On top of that I just can't get the parts I need. Everyone is really, really slow. I have a bunch of stuff coming next week but I didn't get a tracking number so who knows when I'll get it.

Really is coming along very nicely Arch.
Oh. And truer words were never spoken regarding racing my friend. The older we get, the more we value life. Yes riding is risk, but we weigh the risk vs fun factor differently as we age.
I have also never raced anyone on a streetbike. Ever. Dirt bikes? Cars? Yep. But for some reason, I have never felt the urge to prove anything on a road bike. Do I play with the big end of the mph scale? Ohhh yea! Maybe "play" with friends while out and about, but never a grudge match, just spirited runs.
I digress. Bike is looking amazing! Lol
Troy

I used to think it was about ultimate speed. I would ride with squids and they would go bizzerk for 5-10 miles then all stop at the next gas station and talk about how close to killing themselves they got. Wheelies into oncoming traffic, buzzing other riders, anything stupid to be a youtube star. Then I started riding with an older guy (x tank commander, rode a K1300 BMW) who never rode above maybe 80. But he maintained that 70 mph over a 2-3 hour ride. Slow down for a few seconds while tailing this guy and he was gone around the next corner, and he would call back on the com "Stay in range busa boy"! At first I was running up to 150 to catch up with a guy doing 70? I realized that all I needed to know to keep up with squids is how to accelerate. To keep up with this guy I had to actually learn how to ride. I had to learn trail braking, how to maintain speed in a corner, proper lines, good braking skills, the full gammit of riding skills. If we were going somewhere, you could divide the distance by 70 and that's how long it would take. So I realized that this was challenging, required a lot of skill, was more physically & mentally demanding, basically a lot more fun. On top of that, the risk to cops was only a ticket. That changed my perspective on riding & bike mods.

I finally got all of the CF in for the bike. The CF is thicker than the plastic (though significantly lighter) but much stiffer. This makes it very challenging to assemble the parts because you really have to muscle the CF in place. The thickness of the CF also makes it a bit less clean in tight, intricate joints like these fairing inners. The colors works well. We changed the Kanji from ghost silver to midnight blue to match the CF. Turns out these CF blue changes color constantly and seems to not clash with anything! It's going to be a real challenge photographing it.

I know you guys want a finished product but this takes a lot of time. I spent 2 hours just cleaning things yesterday. The new fuel tank was full of rust so I'm cleaning that up, any ideas on inner coating to keep it clean are welcome.

Well, I put the parts I have on the bike and have been riding it a bit. Took some adjustments to the new parts and the Healtech QS threw faults. Was working through this and figured I would put the new fairings on when all was ship-shape (no, you don't get pictures until it's done).

Was working in the garage a few weeks ago and felt weird. Sort of dizzy like the world was listing. Drove myself to the emergency room while gulping Aspirin. Spent the night in the hospital but no apparent residual effects, just got some stronger BP meds (BP was 212/172). Thanks @pashnit - you made me take these symptoms seriously! Got an MRI and they said I better start keeping on top of the BP or the next time it's going to cause some serious damage.

Anyway I will be getting back to the project in a couple weeks I hope. I feel great other than the meds really slow a brotha down. So sorry for the delay, stay tuned....

We are all waiting for your bike bro of course , but we also want you to take your time and get the full enjoyment and satisfaction of your meticulous build , as smoothly as possible , most especially health wise Arch .
Do whatever it takes to stay on top of your health brother , you are an important part of this org. , and we will celebrate your build with you , as soon as your good and ready .

Well, I put the parts I have on the bike and have been riding it a bit. Took some adjustments to the new parts and the Healtech QS threw faults. Was working through this and figured I would put the new fairings on when all was ship-shape (no, you don't get pictures until it's done).

Was working in the garage a few weeks ago and felt weird. Sort of dizzy like the world was listing. Drove myself to the emergency room while gulping Aspirin. Spent the night in the hospital but no apparent residual effects, just got some stronger BP meds (BP was 212/172). Thanks @pashnit - you made me take these symptoms seriously! Got an MRI and they said I better start keeping on top of the BP or the next time it's going to cause some serious damage.

Anyway I will be getting back to the project in a couple weeks I hope. I feel great other than the meds really slow a brotha down. So sorry for the delay, stay tuned....
Hi Arch. Take good care of yourself. I just lost my X wife Sundad she was only 67. I never would have thought I would out live her!

Need to keep a close eye on your health or that busa will sit in the garage if you can’t ride it due to health issues. This heat has been pretty bad too and it amazes me how lightly people take the whole heat stroke thing, so don’t let yourself ignore the signs of heat exhaustion and such, while in the garage. Hope BP stays under control.

Anyone know what this is for? Funny but several big players here in the US didn't even know what a thumb brake is, I had to explain it to them! This one is from the UK and PMR was quite gracious on getting it to me at a good price. Still a few hurdles to cross though. First is making it fit with the fairings on. Second is these are not technically street legal. A company makes an MC for the foot brake that has a second banjo fitting that allows you to use either the thumb brake or the foot brake. Why go to the trouble? I believe the thumb brake is a better way to control the rear brake. You have generally finer control with your hands than your feet after all. And for the rear brake it's really not about power as much as control. For you drag/stunt/wheelie guys this brake will allow you to hit the rear brake even if your feet are off the pegs.

Hopefully we'll see how it works soon.

Well a couple features had to go. I wanted to be sure the bike was running fine before adding the HealTech QS. So it's been running great (still using old fairings). I tore the bike apart again and started running all of the components and laying out the routing of the lines (they give you just enough wire). After 3 hours in the hot garage it was time to plug in the wires to the sparkplugs and, you guessed it wrong harness. So I just pulled everything off the bike and put it back together. So you all are going to have to wait for a review on that one because I have seriously lost my jones for the "easy" QS.

I also had to boot the thumb brake for now. It will not fit with the current configuration of Helibars and Brembo clutch MC. Not ready to give up on this one so I'll keep working on it. I solved the DOT issue with a fitting that goes on the OEM rear MC and allows use of the thumb or foot brake. With this fitting both will activate the pressure switch for the brake lights. There is a place called The Sic Shop ( The Sic Shop, Stunt Parts Store ) that has a lot of stunting stuff - cool stuff.

So I am going to start putting on the custom fairings this week and call it a build!

Near the finish line. it is amazing how things shift and move. Fitting the new fairings was a bear! Also, the clips and tabs on the new fairings fit together like they were glued! The carbon Fiber is very difficult to deal with too. The material is super stiff, so it bends the fairings to it rather than conforming to the bike. Lots of tugging and pulling and skinned knuckles. To be honest, if you are doing trim pieces in CF, think about the fiberglass versions with the CF layer - much less stiff and difficult to deal with and cheaper too. So now I have to trim all of the inner fairing panels and cockpit trim so it fits together cleanly. Another funny thing is the CF cuts easy with an knife but when you turn across the CF threads, not happening! This stuff is really from another planet. My brill bit bounced right off and barely left a scratch.

Back