Stand Alone management systems

KooK

Registered
So I'm fairly well versed when it comes to Megasquirt and ProEFI, however I noticed that AEM has a system they offer a plug-and-play adapter for the Hayabusa. It's called the AEM Infinity Series 5 and right off the bat it's an EngineLabs ECU which, thank God because after the AEM Series 1 I didn't want to touch another again. From what I hear, AEM locks down these ECU's in order to make them more friendly to people (So you don't pull oil pressure data from a coolant temp sensor or something goofy) but at the same it looks like they took an ECU that was compatible with a Bosch 4.9 or 4.2 oxygen sensor and now you can only use the 4.2?

A lot of these things I can overlook but I'm wondering if anybody here has had experience with the AEM Infinity Series 5, otherwise I have a spare MS3x that I'm going to toss on my bike instead.

So I'm fairly well versed when it comes to Megasquirt and ProEFI, however I noticed that AEM has a system they offer a plug-and-play adapter for the Hayabusa. It's called the AEM Infinity Series 5 and right off the bat it's an EngineLabs ECU which, thank God because after the AEM Series 1 I didn't want to touch another again. From what I hear, AEM locks down these ECU's in order to make them more friendly to people (So you don't pull oil pressure data from a coolant temp sensor or something goofy) but at the same it looks like they took an ECU that was compatible with a Bosch 4.9 or 4.2 oxygen sensor and now you can only use the 4.2?

A lot of these things I can overlook but I'm wondering if anybody here has had experience with the AEM Infinity Series 5, otherwise I have a spare MS3x that I'm going to toss on my bike instead.
Hi Have you looked in the MAXX stand alone. That is the I am going with. I think they just ran 6.42 with one.

I love aem products, but the infinity is terrible.

I have an Infinity on my Prostreet bike. Nearly any ecu can be used to run a bike, and most have enough flexibility to do reasonably well in a race atmosphere.

The number one option to consider when choosing an ECU is the availability of someone to calibrate it. If you are up for a challenge nearly any ECU can be used, but if you don't have ability or desire to learn to do it yourself, you will be best suited to choose a system for which whomever will be calibrating it is familiar.

Rob, I'm curious why you feel that the AEM Infinity (series) is terrible. I've been looking at them closely for a couple of reasons. Plug and play capability, and closed loop wideband operation.
Any suggestions ?
I feel like aem rushed to put that system out, and has been counting on customers to do the R&d for them to get the bugs worked out. I personally know of 3 shops locally that have gone through 2 or 3 ecus due to hardware problems.

I have one guy that has one on his turbo Busa here locally that keeps trying to talk me in to looking his over. After 3 other shops have made attempts it runs decent, but is still having a ton of drivability issues. I feel bad for the guy, but I don’t have the time to invest in the potential can of worms.

I feel like aem rushed to put that system out, and has been counting on customers to do the R&d for them to get the bugs worked out. I personally know of 3 shops locally that have gone through 2 or 3 ecus due to hardware problems.

I have one guy that has one on his turbo Busa here locally that keeps trying to talk me in to looking his over. After 3 other shops have made attempts it runs decent, but is still having a ton of drivability issues. I feel bad for the guy, but I don’t have the time to invest in the potential can of worms.
Hi. So would you say the Maxx is the way to go?

Dennis on here went with maxx ecu on his new nitrous bike. From what it sounds like it works well. Might be different from turbo bike but I heard pro street guys are using it
I’ve had the software on my computer for awhile now and I’m excited to use it. I’ve helped set up and tune a few on cars at my buddies shop. Seems VERY capable.

Hi. It can control nitrous and a turbo to run together that is why I am going to use on my RCC 1000 HP kit installed and tuned by Frank at Powerhouse 631-491-6767.

Pretty much every stand alone ecu on the market does that. Even my older aem series 2.

Back