Crank no start help

hybyrd

Registered
So my 08 died pulling out of a parking lot yesterday. Engine will crank but not fire.I can’t hear the fuel pump prime and the tach and speedo are not self testing. The digital display is completely blank but back light is on. Neutral light is on don’t think it’s kickstand switch. Unplugged battery and ecu replugged still nothing. Never seen them blank display before. Any help appreciated. Bike only has a power commander pipes and filter nothing crazy.

New battery. Cranks fine. Just found a similar post on here that says fuel pump fuse blanks the display. Should have read deeper in the search list. Hopefully that’s it. Still the matter of why it blew if so. But thank you for responding

So my 08 died pulling out of a parking lot yesterday. Engine will crank but not fire.I can’t hear the fuel pump prime and the tach and speedo are not self testing. The digital display is completely blank but back light is on. Neutral light is on don’t think it’s kickstand switch. Unplugged battery and ecu replugged still nothing. Never seen them blank display before. Any help appreciated. Bike only has a power commander pipes and filter nothing crazy.
Could be something as simple as a connector not fastened 100% or dirty. Could have been just loose enough to wiggle out when hitting a bump or something...

Did you try to dis-connect the power commander? or check all it's connectors.

Fuel pumps usually act up first and not die all of a sudden.

I replaced the fuel pump fuse today and it got me most of the way home then it blew again. I popped in the 15amp and she went 5 more miles then died like it was out of fuel. However the 15a didn’t blow. After sitting 10 min she fired up and I limped on home. I’m guessing fuel pump relay or pump itself? The pump was replace last year by previous owner I have the maintenance records. 13 months ago lol so no warranty I’m sure.

Could be something as simple as a connector not fastened 100% or dirty. Could have been just loose enough to wiggle out when hitting a bump or something...

Did you try to dis-connect the power commander? or check all it's connectors.

Fuel pumps usually act up first and not die all of a sudden.
Haven’t tried pulling commander offline yet

Haven’t tried pulling commander offline yet
Judging by your previous post, this will most likely do nothing.

Sounds like something has come loose from the fuel pump change...a plug or ground or a chafed wire...??

The fact it started and ran for a while then died says to me something simple has happened to interrupt the power to the pump.

Go over the wiring for the fuel pump. It's likely got a bare wire somewhere that's shorting. Especially since the pump has been replaced by someone else. Also, check what fuse the pump calls for. Replacing a repeatedly blowing fuse with a bigger one isn't solving the problem.

Last edited:
Go over the wiring for the fuel pump. It's likely got a bare wire somewhere that's shorting. Especially since the pump has been replaced by someone else. Also, check what fuse the pump calls for. Replacing a repeatedly blowing fuse with a bigger one isn't solving the problem.
Yeah I was just trying to get it home lol. There was 10 and one 15 spare in the box so that got me there. I appreciate your responses truly.Im hoping it’s just a wire but I almost feel the pump may be getting to hot or something. I will keep this post updated so if someone has a similar issue. If not for this forum I would not have know the pump fuse blanks the display, No one I spoke with had heard of that.

Looks like its going to be the fuel pump..Found a 0 mile complete Oem on eBay. But its a 2017 diffrent part number. Does anyone know is the 2017 will work on a 2008

+The first thing to check is the amount of blockage at the fuel pump sock/filter BEFORE condemning the pump itself, OR assuming there is a short in the wiring that's blowing the fuse.
If the fuel flow to the pump is seriously blocked, the pump will work harder to pull that fuel through the filtration media.
This in turn heats up the pump and the pump draws more current than it ever would under normal (unblocked free flowing filtration) conditions/loading.
It may be that the pump is drawing more current than the fuse can cope with, thus blowing the fuse.
This is why the bigger fuse can work for a while, but then you run the risk of melting the wires insulation and having a fire.
Check the fuel flow at the fuel hose to the injector's fuel rail, should deliver a given amount over a given time, the spec is in the manual.
This will determine how blocked the filtration media is.

+The first thing to check is the amount of blockage at the fuel pump sock/filter BEFORE condemning the pump itself, OR assuming there is a short in the wiring that's blowing the fuse.
If the fuel flow to the pump is seriously blocked, the pump will work harder to pull that fuel through the filtration media.
This in turn heats up the pump and the pump draws more current than it ever would under normal (unblocked free flowing filtration) conditions/loading.
It may be that the pump is drawing more current than the fuse can cope with, thus blowing the fuse.
This is why the bigger fuse can work for a while, but then you run the risk of melting the wires insulation and having a fire.
Check the fuel flow at the fuel hose to the injector's fuel rail, should deliver a given amount over a given time, the spec is in the manual.
listen to you.... u dunno nuthin….. we plug parts in till we hit the JACKPOT..... hahahahaha

listen to you.... u dunno nuthin….. we plug parts in till we hit the JACKPOT..... hahahahaha
yeah, I know, I've seen a lot of money wasted by doing exactly what you just mentioned.
For us Kiwis, we get paid eff-all so we gotta try to make our purchases on parts really count, which means we get smart on the diagnoses and buy only the parts required lmao!
Cleaning and rinsing filters is a great way to save cash.
Buying new fuel pumps . . . mehhh not so good.

While I don't disagree with you that the filter could be clogged, leading to the scenario you discuss, given that the previous owner replaced the fuel pump it's more likely to be wiring I think. In my experience a clogged fuel filter will allow a motor enough fuel to start, (maybe when fuel isn't being drawn the junk floats away long enough to let a little fuel through?) but it won't rev or stutters and stumbles. A pump that won't come on isn't getting power, or it's damaged somehow, which led me to suggest the pump or the wiring. Maybe you've seen a filter so badly clogged that the pump won't run at all, you're certainly more experienced and knowledgeable than I am, but I've never even heard of that scenario....

While I don't disagree with you that the filter could be clogged, leading to the scenario you discuss, given that the previous owner replaced the fuel pump it's more likely to be wiring I think. In my experience a clogged fuel filter will allow a motor enough fuel to start, (maybe when fuel isn't being drawn the junk floats away long enough to let a little fuel through?) but it won't rev or stutters and stumbles. A pump that won't come on isn't getting power, or it's damaged somehow, which led me to suggest the pump or the wiring. Maybe you've seen a filter so badly clogged that the pump won't run at all, you're certainly more experienced and knowledgeable than I am, but I've never even heard of that scenario....
kiwi is correct... when I FIRST bought this bike.... the wiring was sooo bad that when I grabbed ahold of the negative battery terminal.... it would get SO HOT that I could NOT hold on to it...… it was gonna melt something eventually...…..... something was drawing WAY too much current (or there were shorts somewhere).... I paid a pretty penny to have a rebuild of the electrical.

Back