HJC RPHA 70ST

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
After putting a few miles on this helmet there are a few good things and a few bad..

Good,

-Fits well
-sliding mechanism for drop down tint shield is easy to use with gloves
-having the drop down tinted visor is awesome-easy to put up in low light conditions and not needing to carry around a second visor is great.
-looks good
-stable at speed, can look left and right at speed without it wanting to tear your head off
-vents well...top and front vent are easy to use
-easy to clean-the finish seems to be pretty tough and makes cleaning bugs off easier.
-has a removeable emergency piece on either side of your cheeks in case EMTs need to take helmet off...
-it's pretty light
-The helmet comes with a little piece that affixes on the front lower chin to act as an air diverter and it works well.

Bad,

-is noisy-much more wind noise than my old worn out HJC CL17
-if you like to ride with the clear visor up to the first notch, a bump or wind will shut it, I am constantly raising the visor to the fist notch
-the drop down tint visor will contact your nose, I have to adjust the helmet up a little when using it.
-not inexpensive-around $600 Cdn
-rear ventral vents are a bit of a pain to reach when riding-they are easy to set when you are stationary. The helmet has 4 vents (front, top, 2 ventrals..
-the snap that fastens the end of the strap to itself to prevent flapping is a pain in the arse to find.
-comes with a little thingie to go on the visor to prevent fogging...never used it but it looks complicated to use.

Overall,

I don't know much about ear pieces/headphones or what not, but the ear pockets are roomy and should be able to accommodate them easy enough. I know there are helmets out there which are lower priced and better designed and quieter. Research is the biggie here and honest reviews are good. Most of the ones I saw said the opposite of what I am now writing.

Would I buy another RPHA 70 ST? Probably not-it is an expensive helmet which offers average performance. My HJC CL-17 was a great helmet which was inexpensive and offered superior performance (SNELL rated, RPHA is not)

DSC01615.JPG

DSC01616 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Oh and I forgot...the locking tab in the bottom of the clear shield is right in your field of view if you have the visor up at the first notch

After a few rides, I've also noticed it's not steady at speed, it vibrates slightly at higher speeds which I relate to both the windshield (Puig double bubble) and the vent on top of the helmet catching air...

After a few rides, I've also noticed it's not steady at speed, it vibrates slightly at higher speeds which I relate to both the windshield (Puig double bubble) and the vent on top of the helmet catching air...

Looks sharp. really like the look.
But i guess it has to many vents , or at least they might be too big - which creates alot of turbulences?

Nice review yellow I really like my black RPHA 11 cant think of any annoying issues with it actually thinking of buying another one in a different color scheme :thumbsup:

Looks sharp. really like the look.
But i guess it has to many vents , or at least they might be too big - which creates alot of turbulences?

Could be, the top vent is pretty big and catches lots of air. It's like a hood scoop on a car.....

I'll switch to my stock windshield and try that first to see if it is the helmet causing the turbulence or the windshield. If it's the windshield, I'll most likely switch to the windshield Bryan is using as I like his set up.

When I asked the previous owner, he said he had no issues with the Puig and he rode the bike much, much faster than I do.

For some reason on this bike the stock windshield is working out great for me with no turbulence's or buffeting issues I am 6 foot 1 and the wind hits my lower neck and upper chest area at normal cruising speeds :D so there is only clean air hitting my helmet if that is the correct whey of explaining it :thumbsup:

For some reason on this bike the stock windshield is working out great for me with no turbulence's or buffeting issues I am 6 foot 1 and the wind hits my lower neck and upper chest area at normal cruising speeds :D so there is only clean air hitting my helmet if that is the correct whey of explaining it :thumbsup:
That is the correct way to explain it...probably hard for you to tuck behind it though I'd imagine...

I was just wondering that there’s probably a cut off point between the stock screen and a double bubble where one works better than the other beyond a certain height or within certain heights
Could very well be. c10 told me he had horrible turbulence with his Puig screen and I had it too..

Still some of it could be on the helmet but I put on the stock screen and took the bike to ultra speed and no turbulence..

Honestly the turbulence was very scary...it was almost like a vibration which forced me to slow down as I was unable to see properly...

Back