METAL SHAVINGS

Raghav , and atlbusa my son graduates this Thursday from the school house as a CH53 AM :) he has the hard life of being stationed in Hawaii now that hes off to the fleet for the Marine Corps .
Helicopters are just to cool . I saw Life light make a unusual decent / almost dive today outside Houston .
Great Kid, I thank them all. And thank him for my freedom! Don't let him forget!

I have done lot of oil changes through the years on bikes and cars perhaps not as much as kiwi but I never saw any fine metal flakes on the drain plug just monitor it and see if its still there on the next oil change :thumbsup:
Aye man u just broke my heart...ill be an ostrich for this one... haha...ill be careful however, i have never felt that ways on the bike, any grinding noise or anything.. thanks for the input though.

I have done lot of oil changes through the years on bikes and cars perhaps not as much as kiwi but I never saw any fine metal flakes on the drain plug just monitor it and see if its still there on the next oil change :thumbsup:
I am guessing you must not ride your poop hard. Cause either the clutch or the tranny's dogs or shift forks metal always go to the mag plug. As long as there is no slivers or crap load of metal on the plug its fine. Ride it like you stole it and the mag plug will pick it up!!!

Yep!
I believe the contractor to the USFS at the time was a co called Evergreen, but that was so many drugs years ago. I do remember clearly that all the pilots were vets, pulling off stunts (mountain top landings, e.g.) that enthralled me but was "nothing" to them, mainly because no one was shooting at them:D. Transported 12 of us, + pilot & co-pilot. That sound right?

Yep!
I believe the contractor to the USFS at the time was a co called Evergreen, but that was so many drugs years ago. I do remember clearly that all the pilots were vets, pulling off stunts (mountain top landings, e.g.) that enthralled me but was "nothing" to them, mainly because no one was shooting at them:D. Transported 12 of us, + pilot & co-pilot. That sound right?

Some of those pilots were miracle workers with a helo...a few guys on this forum served with the Cav during Viet Nam, they have some stories...

12 is a standard sized section so that sounds right.

I am guessing you must not ride your poop hard. Cause either the clutch or the tranny's dogs or shift forks metal always go to the mag plug. As long as there is no slivers or crap load of metal on the plug its fine. Ride it like you stole it and the mag plug will pick it up!!!

Yes mostly cruise at around 4 to 5 k in top gear But I have been known to occasionally hammer it :thumbsup:

I think what made me go like this
the most in this entire thread was the pic from page one. Who in the fug has been doing the oil changes and instead of using the correct,preferable 6 point socket or wrench...they dug out that, THAT ,do-all-tool...the dreaded vice grips. :banghead:
New crush washer ya think...nah. They cost 50 cents.:p
Rubb.

Who in the fug has been doing the oil changes and instead of using the correct,preferable 6 point socket or wrench...they dug out that, THAT ,do-all-tool...the dreaded vice grips. :banghead:
I never have gone over 12 ft lbs on any drain plug. They never come loose and I never had a difficult time removing them either. The oil filter needn't be as tight as they recommend. Two turns past contact is more than tight enough. If it's tight, it won't come loose. It will stick harder over time.

Rather than start a new thread, I searched this one out. Not that anyone will ever read through 3 pages about aircraft turbines in a thread about metal chips on a magnetic drain plug before clicking to something else but here's my find on the last oil change of the season. A tiny chip of something. The fine black powder is normal, I never saw an actual chunk before. The only time I've ever been hard on this gearbox was one time years ago when I made a downshift to 1 at about 50 mph and I must have under revved it. BANG! Thought it would sound cool but not so much. No metal on the magnetic plug after that but now we have this. Sounds like this is nothing to worry about. It still shifts great. I'll keep my eye on it.
Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 3.18.47 PM.png

Anyone ever worry about having their fingerprint identity stolen through these closeup pics? Just thought I'd ask since aircraft turbines generated so much conversation.:rolleyes:

There you go trying to steer the conversation back to what the thread's supposed to be about again! :laugh:

I must have done at least 25 oil changes on my bikes with magnetic drain plugs. The busa has always had a magnetic plug, of course. The only time I found anything larger than the very fine black powder like you see above is when I had some really hard missed shifts at high rpm on the ZX-14. A downshift slamming in while the engine and transmission speeds are severely mismatched left visible chunks on my ZX-14's oil drain plug in at least 5 oil changes. These pieces were often about four times the size of the one you see above and sometimes there were many of them. Unfortunately, it wasn't only one high rpm missed shift that caused this.

Not normal. First oil change after the quickshifter
steel.piece.oil.jpg

Still not normal. Second oil change after the quickshifter.
2oilchange.quikshftr.jpg

32k miles, still not normal.
stlchip.32K.jpg

39k miles and still getting chunks.
oilchange39.5K.jpg

At 50,000 miles, I'm finally free of metal chunks. I still get the black powder but I believe that is normal wear. The moral of the story is "know how to set your quickshifter for your bike." 55 mls is WAY too fast for the ZX-14. I'm at 90 mls now with no problems.

Back