New “mini” project - 2000 TJ Wrangler

jeffgordons24

Registered
So as the summer is in full swing and the Busa will be rolling out very soon I have taken on a new little sort of mini project.
So my daily for the past 4 years has been my beloved 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually with the Duramax Diesel.
The truck has seen its fair share of day to day abuse. It is lifted and rolls on 35”s and it’s just all around harsh on the truck. I have been wanting for some time to do injector upgrades along with turbo core and other items. Rather than piece it out little by little I decided “let me get a stand in daily” so I can take the truck off the road for a year or more to do all the work with out having to half-ass it.

So I found a rough shaped 2000 Jeep Wrangler. I have always wanted a Jeep since I was a kid and the price was right so I figured screw it.

Of course I can’t drive or ride anything that is raggity so it had to undergo some work before hitting the road.

It is a 2.5 auto which is deathly slow especially after coming from my straight piped and tuned duramax with the boost turned up.
The frame is broken in 2 areas and the front diff was bent along with some body rot. I am on a time constraint as the tires on my pickup only have about 2 weeks of life left so this project has to be wrapped up quickly.

Here is how it looked when I found it...

FB41747B-3684-4E0F-A6F3-D1F982F10200.jpeg

4AD02445-9340-4528-82A1-7FDC0BC71C61.jpeg

5663391B-6CEA-4225-90BA-DDD356E20752.jpeg

FFEEAEBE-7F2B-4C4C-9275-295881912039.jpeg

414A7BA3-DC3B-40F0-9728-206A37138025.jpeg

1180B19D-DECE-4794-BF54-7291C1C6D9A9.jpeg

320802B5-EFE5-4BE0-B8EF-5F8072295B17.jpeg

I am interested of how you will be able to fix that frame....it will be a fun project to play with when you are done.

We rented a 2019 Jeep Sahara a little while ago while we were visiting relatives...to be honest, I didn't care for it. It was a nice machine but not for me.

Before I got my Ram as a retirement gift, I really contemplated getting a Jeep instead.

Have always thought of getting a Jeep Came close, but found it would be great for off-road type stuff and while others use it as a daily driver it just didn't fit for me at that time. One of these days I may get one just to play around with.

I am interested of how you will be able to fix that frame....it will be a fun project to play with when you are done.

We rented a 2019 Jeep Sahara a little while ago while we were visiting relatives...to be honest, I didn't care for it. It was a nice machine but not for me.

Before I got my Ram as a retirement gift, I really contemplated getting a Jeep instead.
I have always wanted one of the newer 4 door models as a daily driver but the price of them or Jeep wranglers in general are just obscene.
What year is your ram?

Wow Steven ! I would of crushed that rusted out frame . Love the wire holding it together . Classic it will be ok !
They actually make kits to repair but given that I have a fabricator on my payroll I figure I’ll just let him tackle it.

Reactions: c10
Cool Project Steven. I’ve heard that the 4 cylinder is so slow, you can take naps between shifts, so I’m sure the automatic makes it feel even slower. Reminds me of my 1992 4Runner with 33s and the 3.0. That thing was fun, but slow as hell.

Reactions: c10
Oh man that is gorgeous!!!! Does she love it? Of course she does.
I liked the 92’s too something about the square lights gets me I guess I like to be diff.
She loves her Jeep. This is her 3rd in a row. It was just sitting on the dealer lot a long time and although she paid sticker the AEV lift, bumpers, tire and other accessories were thrown in. They were already installed.

on the 92 I liked the square headlights too. I was a mechanic for Jeep at the time I owned it and got parts cheap. I changed the gearing and put AC in it. I did a lot of off roading in it at Azusa Canyon and Big Bear Ca. I liked the hardtop design better too, and the way the front passenger seat flipped forward so someone could get in the back easy.

Last edited:
Back