Top head bearings - best way of removing

Swiftfalcon

Registered
Good day all

Im busy replacing the top head bearings on a Gen 2 2008 hayabusa and when i took the yoke of the bearings fell out, so i need to replace top and bottom. But i have a problem.
How do i take this part (see picture Below) out , i dont want to damage the steel parts etc. How do you guys do this replacements.

regards
Swiftfalcon

20190602_182914.jpg

20190602_182918.jpg

I’m sure there is a correct way which probably involves a puller of some sort. The farmer way would be to use a very small cut off wheel to very carefully grind a small slot in the race and then give it (the slot) a good whack with a small, sharp chisel. The goal with the chisel would be to crack/break the race which would allow you to pull it off by hand. This would be a delicate/brutal way. I’m sure some one will chime in with a better method.

I’m sure there is a correct way which probably involves a puller of some sort. The farmer way would be to use a very small cut off wheel to very carefully grind a small slot in the race and then give it (the slot) a good whack with a small, sharp chisel. The goal with the chisel would be to crack/break the race which would allow you to pull it off by hand. This would be a delicate/brutal way. I’m sure some one will chime in with a better method.

That way works just fine... Or you can remove as much rubber as possible. Then heat the race. Just like a ring gear on a fly wheel. It will expand enough to slide right off.

Thanks. Yes that is also a way to do. But thats whats bothering me. What if i bugger that up. .
I will keep your idea also thanks

That way works just fine... Or you can remove as much rubber as possible. Then heat the race. Just like a ring gear on a fly wheel. It will expand enough to slide right off.
O ok cool. I will try this and give feedback as soon i start.

Thanks. Yes that is also a way to do. But thats whats bothering me. What if i bugger that up. .
I will keep your idea also thanks
If you're afraid of 'buggering it up' (nice phrase, us Kiwis use it all the time!) maybe take it to an engineer and offer a dozen beers if he will remove it and replace it with the new one.
A dozen beers is a very persuasive tool to use when dealing with mechanics, engineers, builders, well, pretty much any and all tradesmen lol.
Personally I would move it with a large cold chisel enough to get a bearing separator tool on to it . . .

Ok, so that is a hub in the vid, but it's the same principle as pulling the bearing race of the steering stem of the triple yoke.

If you're afraid of 'buggering it up' (nice phrase, us Kiwis use it all the time!) maybe take it to an engineer and offer a dozen beers if he will remove it and replace it with the new one.
A dozen beers is a very persuasive tool to use when dealing with mechanics, engineers, builders, well, pretty much any and all tradesmen lol.
Personally I would move it with a large cold chisel enough to get a bearing separator tool on to it . . .

Ok, so that is a hub in the vid, but it's the same principle as pulling the bearing race of the steering stem of the triple yoke.
i went and did as you said, and whoop hoo, this guy took that off like butter on a hot knife. i will post the pic later .
thanks buddy

See what I mean?
It's like beer is an international currency!
People drop everything, avoid invoicing, and just do the job on the spot . . . looking forward to cracking a few cold ones at knock off time lol.
Absolutely manly nod & handshake kind of thing. Beer is here it's cold & they don't have to pay for it or drive to go get it, Money. They may not even be thinking of it but once offered? Like are you hungry? Humm well I could eat, lets go.

Back