OK to use Gen2 regulator/rectifier in Gen1?

Rad260

Registered
Hey everyone. New member here. I am the new owner of a 2004 Radical SR4 that has a Powertec 1300 engine in it. I've found the Radical forums to be so-so when it comes to tech advice so I am glad I found this forum -- learned a lot already.

My stator connector basically melted due to being super dirty and resistance building up, etc. This connector is the single connector with five pins that I think the Gen1 uses. From here it goes to a harness and somewhere else in the harness a connector goes to the regulator/rectifier. That connector was also partly melted.

I cut everything off and used bullet connectors and everything seems good except the regulator is weak (only getting about 13.0 - 13.4V depending on RPM).

Since I'm redoing the connectors (probably will ditch them altogether and solder everything directly), I would be OK using a Gen2 regulator/rectifier instead of a Gen1, right?

Thanks!

I can not remember off the top of my head but i know we had this question before. I seem to remember it was not ok. I just can not remember for the lif eof me why. I am sorry i wasnt much help here. A more knowledgeable sourse will chime in soon.

I would need a gen 1 book to refer to against my gen 2.
What may be different is winding count on stator, and other improvements to gen 2 charging system.

Also recommended that you Crimp, and solider connections ;)

I can not remember off the top of my head but i know we had this question before. I seem to remember it was not ok. I just can not remember for the lif eof me why.

It would seem to me that the regulator/rectifier should work the same -- three AC inputs which will have varying voltage depending on RPM and then the two outputs providing voltage to the system.

Maybe the AC voltage varies significantly?

I would need a gen 1 book to refer to against my gen 2.
What may be different is winding count on stator, and other improvements to gen 2 charging system.

Also recommended that you Crimp, and solider connections ;)

I usually solder so I can avoid connectors but if I decide to use new connectors, I'll do that!

Anyone else know whether or not to use the gen 2 regulator on a gen 1?

Thought I would provide an update. Two vendors said it would be fine other than the connectors, so I am now using a Gen 2 MOSFET regulator in a Gen 1 motor. The connectors are different, of course, but I ditched them. The Gen 2 VR/R has two 12V and two ground connection outputs, I believe to support higher current via two pairs of wires on Gen 2 bikes compared to Gen 1. I have very little current draw on my Radical (don't run lights, etc.) so I should be OK.

I'm now getting 14V so I should be good.

Track day tomorrow so I'll report back.

Thought I would provide an update. Two vendors said it would be fine other than the connectors, so I am now using a Gen 2 MOSFET regulator in a Gen 1 motor. The connectors are different, of course, but I ditched them. The Gen 2 VR/R has two 12V and two ground connection outputs, I believe to support higher current via two pairs of wires on Gen 2 bikes compared to Gen 1. I have very little current draw on my Radical (don't run lights, etc.) so I should be OK.

I'm now getting 14V so I should be good.

Track day tomorrow so I'll report back.

The Gen 2 regulator will support slightly more voltage due to the extra red and black wires . . . it is not significant and the regulators are interchangeable (other than connectors!).

I'm about to do this same conversion. Do you have a wiring diagram or instructions on how you went from the gen 1 to gen 2?

Back