What Did You Do To Your Busa, Today?

So, as far as decals go, I decided to give a Bulgarian seller on eBay a try and ordered a full set from him. Very nice quality Decals and a full set shipped to my door was less than a $100. Keep in mind that only one of the factory side decals on the 2009 busa is over $90, plus taxes and shipping. I installed them and dimensions are spot on, but the dark gray is lighter than OEM. The more progress I make on this “little project”, the more I realize that OEM is the way to go if you are meticulous, which most of us are. I reached out to the seller to inquire about this, so let’s see. I would be ok if I didn’t have the race ready custom dash panels, but with them installed, the color diffence is pretty obvious. I might end up bitting the bullet and ordering OEM decals later on. I’m done with this project and now waiting on the rain to stop to go break in my new terry custom seat. :thumbsup: Here are some pics.

064E3395-CC70-4CA5-B186-4B20B8073121.jpeg

1701FF74-87D8-466E-8DA6-FE422820F0EB.jpeg

454A8656-84CD-4C2B-8E84-6F7D8986D961.jpeg

Last edited:
You should try Pro Grip 761, gel grips.
Not squishy or rock hard, and a larger diameter in the middle, tapering smaller to each end.
I've put them on 2 bikes and 1 4wheeler, and will put them on every bike from now on.
I wear XL gloves, and find stock grips too narrow, but the grip puppies too bulky, as well as their foam not feeling secure enough on the grips, as if they want to twist.
The Pro-Grip 761 were the perfect compromise. @BigE posted years ago that he was using them, I tried them, and have been hooked ever since.
Just an fyi to guys with xl or bigger hands:beerchug:
That’s exactly my problem, six. I wear XL or XXL gloves and the stockers feel like I’m holding on to two pencils. I might follow your advice and order a set of those to try. I actually have two set of grip puppies, one over the other. I don’t have very many complaints about them, but my bike has only wheelie once........... by accident. :rofl:! I’m sure they don’t feel good when going down the road on the back tire and trying to hold on to such cushy/soft grips.

That’s exactly my problem, six. I wear XL or XXL gloves and the stockers feel like I’m holding on to two pencils. I might follow your advice and order a set of those to try. I actually have two set of grip puppies, one over the other. I don’t have very many complaints about them, but my bike has only wheelie once........... by accident. :rofl:! I’m sure they don’t feel good when going down the road on the back tire and trying to hold on to such cushy/soft grips.

Yep, slippery grips suck on one wheel!
The 761's are about $11 on ebay...and don't worry if you see them sometimes listed as scooter grips, lol.

So, as far as decals go, I decided to give a Bulgarian seller on eBay a try and ordered a full set from him. Very nice quality Decals and a full set shipped to my door was less than a $100. Keep in mind that only one of the factory side decals on the 2009 busa is over $90, plus taxes and shipping. I installed them and dimensions are spot on, but the dark gray is lighter than OEM. The more progress I make on this “little project”, the more I realize that OEM is the way to go if you are meticulous, which most of us are. I reached out to the seller to inquire about this, so let’s see. I would be ok if I didn’t have the race ready custom dash panels, but with them installed, the color diffence is pretty obvious. I might end up bitting the bullet and ordering OEM decals later on. I’m done with this project and now waiting on the rain to stop to go break in my new terry custom seat. :thumbsup: Here are some pics.

View attachment 1596254

View attachment 1596255

View attachment 1596256
Miguel love how the front fairing looks so dark at some Angeles & light. Don't change a thing stickers are a good match. That paint is trick.

Were the wheel stripes difficult to apply? I was looking at them myself but didn't want something I'd screw up putting on......
With applying the stripes, you must make it easy for yourself, ok so I have the bike on the lift at waist level with the rear wheel up and free to turn thanks to the paddock stand. That made it a whole lot easier, just being able to rotate the wheel as you go around the rim applying the tape.
If you don't have the luxury of the lift, then take the time to remove the wheel, lay it flat on the kitchen table ( your wife will scream but take no heed!) and work on it slowly and purposefully.
The key to it is to take your time.
There are many vids on youtube on how to do it . . .
just watch a few to get and idea on the best way for you.

With applying the stripes, you must make it easy for yourself, ok so I have the bike on the lift at waist level with the rear wheel up and free to turn thanks to the paddock stand. That made it a whole lot easier, just being able to rotate the wheel as you go around the rim applying the tape.
If you don't have the luxury of the lift, then take the time to remove the wheel, lay it flat on the kitchen table ( your wife will scream but take no heed!) and work on it slowly and purposefully.
The key to it is to take your time.
There are many vids on youtube on how to do it . . .
just watch a few to get and idea on the best way for you.
Sounds good, I could have watched the You Tube videos but asking a real person who has done it is far better IMO.

Took the fairing off to prepare to do the spring oil change, I noticed one of the plunger tabs broke off at the top so have that glued and drying.

Will put it all back together within the next couple weeks. too cold to ride right now dang it!

Took the fairing off to prepare to do the spring oil change, I noticed one of the plunger tabs broke off at the top so have that glued and drying.

Will put it all back together within the next couple weeks. too cold to ride right now dang it!
That's a bugger about the fairing tab breaking, mine did the same, there's a certain way to remove/refit the side fairings so you don't load any pressure on those upper tabs, bend the front nose cone sides out as you insert the side fairing, watching those tabs at the same time as inserting them.
Tricky, but once you learn how it works, not to hard to do.
You know, last couple of winters have been so mild here we went riding almost every weekend. There was 2 weeks of rain at one point, and a few frosty mornings but overall, very rideable winter lol.
I feel for you guys up north, putting your bikes in storage for months on end, I suppose it's a good time to address all the maintenance and cosmetic issues though!

That's a bugger about the fairing tab breaking, mine did the same, there's a certain way to remove/refit the side fairings so you don't load any pressure on those upper tabs, bend the front nose cone sides out as you insert the side fairing, watching those tabs at the same time as inserting them.
Tricky, but once you learn how it works, not to hard to do.
You know, last couple of winters have been so mild here we went riding almost every weekend. There was 2 weeks of rain at one point, and a few frosty mornings but overall, very rideable winter lol.
I feel for you guys up north, putting your bikes in storage for months on end, I suppose it's a good time to address all the maintenance and cosmetic issues though!

Yeah, snow and cold sucks but at least we don't have all those nasty critters that want to bite and sting us (other than hornets, wasps and bees).

Sadly, the tab was broke when I took it off, this is my first oil change since buying the beast..I watched the video on how to take off the fairing and was real careful-all for not.

When they were talking about killing the Busa I was seriously thinking about buying 5-10 new ones and nodding them up. Could get some people on here to help maybe, then sell them as a Busa based bike. But since Suzuki is still selling them, the margin would be way too risky.
I’m with you Willie! I always say that the day they kill this model for good, I’ll start looking for a good deal on a new or barely used model and parking it in the garage. That’s how much I like the busa.

If you can find the shade of red that's in your stickers in the front I think that may look good. Your bike is so subtle, almost everything is changed, but you have to really look at it to see what's been done.
Yes , Mr. Brown , I think you are right on matching that darker red , luckily I have found a couple of similar hues in 7mm , so I could have a go .
I always tried to keep it subtle , but these last changes are going a bit in the opposite way , I got to be aware of this to strike some sort of balance for sure .

Yes , Mr. Brown , I think you are right on matching that darker red , luckily I have found a couple of similar hues in 7mm , so I could have a go .
I always tried to keep it subtle , but these last changes are going a bit in the opposite way , I got to be aware of this to strike some sort of balance for sure .
I've got a friend who has done his ZX12 in a similar fashion, even with a contrasting swingarm. The bike is gray with black frame, wheels, etc and the arm is chrome. Only things stock on the bike are the motor and frame.
A little splash draws attention to the other changes, like a precious stone in a setting, it's a balance that looks amazing if done right. And yours absolutely is done right my friend.

You should try Pro Grip 761, gel grips.
Not squishy or rock hard, and a larger diameter in the middle, tapering smaller to each end.
I've put them on 2 bikes and 1 4wheeler, and will put them on every bike from now on.
I wear XL gloves, and find stock grips too narrow, but the grip puppies too bulky, as well as their foam not feeling secure enough on the grips, as if they want to twist.
The Pro-Grip 761 were the perfect compromise. @BigE posted years ago that he was using them, I tried them, and have been hooked ever since.
Just an fyi to guys with xl or bigger hands:beerchug:

I don’t wear XL gloves, but I still prefer a little thicker grip. Have used Grip Puppies in the past. Figured I’d give you recommended Pro-Grip 761 a try.

FBD51BAF-19B9-42EF-8CE3-0D9422C8A92C.jpeg

I've got a friend who has done his ZX12 in a similar fashion, even with a contrasting swingarm. The bike is gray with black frame, wheels, etc and the arm is chrome. Only things stock on the bike are the motor and frame.
A little splash draws attention to the other changes, like a precious stone in a setting, it's a balance that looks amazing if done right. And yours absolutely is done right my friend.
Once again thank Mr. Brown for you praise and great feedback . I appreciate this advice from someone with a keen experienced eye . I find myself too close to see the overall picture a lot of the time , and feedback is welcomed and very needed . :beerchug:
PS. Like to see a pic of your mates ZX12R , they were a hot rod motor from Kawasaki !!

Once again thank Mr. Brown for you praise and great feedback . I appreciate this advice from someone with a keen experienced eye . I find myself too close to see the overall picture a lot of the time , and feedback is welcomed and very needed . :beerchug:
PS. Like to see a pic of your mates ZX12R , they were a hot rod motor from Kawasaki !!
I concour with Mr Brown re your bike set-up oh Toadster, very very succinct and subtle to look at, but for us Busa officionados knowing all the added classy bits on board, extremely tasteful and sexy . . . a hot woman doesn't get a look in when your bike is in the picture lol.
It must be incredible to ride, I can only imagine the lack of weight and the precise braking, steering, suspension and Gen 2 power !
I've ridden a few Gen 2's now, one in particular was well set up with amazing torque low in the rev range, power wheelies from 20kmh with a twist of the wrist . . . intoxicating, . . . .but it was a customer's bike so I really had to behave and restrain myself :rolleyes:
One day I will chew the fat with you Toad and talk bikes for hours, if not days :bowdown:

Kiwi , your bike is looking amazing , those rims set it off big time !! It looks very clean too , good job bro .
You and me both want to chew the fat on Busa , you are my Anzac brother , and I just hope you can get here for a holiday asap !!
The other day I was at a mates shop , and one of the old boys was tooling on his BKING , and he wanted me to hold it straight for checking fluids , I was joking around at how heavy it was , but it truly is compared to my thing .
My bike is feeling good and light , I will ride test it on my short hills ride Friday , get a few pics hopefully , and see about that showcase update .
I now have our best hope for the best 'all motor build' ever , with Mike onboard (@michael parris heuberger ) with parts guidance . It may end up that this bike , and not the next Busa gets a stroker motor , much more HP than I was planning . It will be a USA / Australian alliance build , just like the way our Anzac countries have fought alongside the USA in every conflict from WW1 . You can bet it will be as bulletproof a build as Mike can envisage , and street run , whether indeed it is used in the current L2 or next Busa , bring it on !!

Back