Looking to buy a Busa, need y'alls advice!

bigcam93

Registered
Hello all,

I have a couple hayabusa's for sale in my area. I currently own a 00 TL1000R (full exhaust, TRE, PCII) so I am somewhat familiar with the gen 1 busas because we share a few parts (mainly front suspension to my understanding), but I wanted some input on what to look for when looking at purchasing one of these bikes.

What are the main issues with this bikes?
What kind of maintenance would you ask about?
What parts wear the most on these bikes, besides chain, sprockets, etc.?
What are some positive mods to look for?

Thanks in advance. Attached is my Tiller and my v8 swapped ranger.

IMG_1483.jpg

Welcome and nice TL you have there..and interesting Ranger (V8 mod is cool).

I take it you are looking at Gen 1s?
I have a Gen 2 and put all my research into finding a Gen 2 bike.

I know stock they have bullet proof engines, stiff frames, decent suspension and decent fuelling. There are differences in engine internals and fuelling from Gen 1 to Gen 2 and a little bit of suspension differences. Later Gen 2s have ABS and Brembo Calipers.

As the Gen 1s are getting a little older, there might be a few more things to watch for but I'm sure you have that knowledge already.

Welcome and nice TL you have there..and interesting Ranger (V8 mod is cool).

I take it you are looking at Gen 1s?
I have a Gen 2 and put all my research into finding a Gen 2 bike.

I know stock they have bullet proof engines, stiff frames, decent suspension and decent fuelling. There are differences in engine internals and fuelling from Gen 1 to Gen 2 and a little bit of suspension differences. Later Gen 2s have ABS and Brembo Calipers.

As the Gen 1s are getting a little older, there might be a few more things to watch for but I'm sure you have that knowledge already.
Thanks man! Its a 02 ranger with a 302 and a 5 speed hurst.

I'm looking more at the gen2's just because of all the luxurys that come with them like you mentioned. Can these bikes make more power on stock bottom end or do you have to build the motor. Are there any major problems that these bikes have had a history of? Common issues?

Which bike would be the better buy?

I appreciate the quick responses.

That Ranger must scoot...Ford should have done that. They kind of did with the Explorer Adrenaline version with the 3v 4.6 but everyone loves the Rangers.

As for the Busa, there are a pile of posts on this exact subject from very knowledgeable people who know more than I do.
However, I read to boost for max power, you have to build a Gen 2 engine. You can boost a stock Gen 2 but are limited to how much hp you can make.

Both bikes are similar in many ways. Gen 2 makes a bit more power stock, has better suspension, and better fuelling and later bikes come with Brembo hardware.

I chose Gen 2 only because I wanted a newer platform and as I am not going to boost it, the stock (modified) hp is plenty.

That Ranger must scoot...Ford should have done that. They kind of did with the Explorer Adrenaline version with the 3v 4.6 but everyone loves the Rangers.

As for the Busa, there are a pile of posts on this exact subject from very knowledgeable people who know more than I do.
However, I read to boost for max power, you have to build a Gen 2 engine. You can boost a stock Gen 2 but are limited to how much hp you can make.

Both bikes are similar in many ways. Gen 2 makes a bit more power stock, has better suspension, and better fuelling and later bikes come with Brembo hardware.

I chose Gen 2 only because I wanted a newer platform and as I am not going to boost it, the stock (modified) hp is plenty.
Yeah, you, me, and everyone else who have done this swap think ford should've done it. My goal with the build was to basically build the truck to be what ford could have back then. All ford parts bin. It's got a 302 out of a explorer and a 5 speed M5OD-R2 from a 98 v6 f150. Makes 245hp/375tq at the wheels, stock motor. She runs like a scared rabbit.

I'll keep all that in mind. I'll do some reading between now and when I pick one up. Cheers

Hello all,

I have a couple hayabusa's for sale in my area. I currently own a 00 TL1000R (full exhaust, TRE, PCII) so I am somewhat familiar with the gen 1 busas because we share a few parts (mainly front suspension to my understanding), but I wanted some input on what to look for when looking at purchasing one of these bikes.

Thanks in advance. Attached is my Tiller and my v8 swapped ranger.

View attachment 1595356
Welcome! With a 10k budget I would go for a GEN2.

Depends greatly on the year. gen 1 2nd gear and fuel pump in the earlier years. Gen 2 recitfiers in the earlier years and not much else.

Depends on miles. but oil changes, syncs, brakes, fluids, sprokets, chains, the general.

LMAO Tires man Tires.

Depends on your purpose with this bike.
tour? bar risers, luggage rack, cruise, better brakes, etc
drag?tires, sprockets, stretch, etc
daily? nothing ride it like you stole it.

Gen 1 if you want to make more than 250 at the wheel, gen 2 if not. The Gen 2 bikes are better in almost every aspect, 10k will get you a good one with mod money left over.

Gen 1 for boost. Gen 2 is a better N/A bike and has other things like radial brakes, and better suspension. All Busas have questionable brakes, especially compared to what Kawasaki does OEM.

As for mods save enough in the purchase price for a full exhaust, PC5, dyno tune and SS brake lines with EBC pads. From there it pretty comes down to what you want her to do.

make sure the wiring harness isn't melted by the rectifier on either side of the plug if it is leave it right there and walk away

Back