The strange "dunk" sound.

TheDuck1

Registered
Hello Hayabusa members.Soon its time again in my part of the world to waken up the Busa again from its winter sleep.Only one question however.The last season my 2008 Busa was starting to have some strange noice when you was starting to roll from first gear with a "dunk" sound.Never could locate if it was the chain, clutch or gearbox.Always the same when starting on first gear and speeding up and always direct after this let go of the clutch.Why only in first gear and not the others.Bike still works great but that sound who i cant locate is some bothering .Have a nice day to you all out there on the roads.

Hello Hayabusa members.Soon its time again in my part of the world to waken up the Busa again from its winter sleep.Only one question however.The last season my 2008 Busa was starting to have some strange noice when you was starting to roll from first gear with a "dunk" sound.Never could locate if it was the chain, clutch or gearbox.Always the same when starting on first gear and speeding up and always direct after this let go of the clutch.Why only in first gear and not the others.Bike still works great but that sound who i cant locate is some bothering .Have a nice day to you all out there on the roads.
How many miles on the bike? It could be cush driver rubbers. Is it only a noise? Or is there an associated "dunk" or I guess maybe a "clunk" feeling when the sound is emitted.
Do you have a rear pit-bull stand. You can put the bike up with rear tire off ground, make sure it is secure and put it in gear. Let the clutch out slowly and see if you can differentiate where the noise is coming from that way. Just be careful to keep hands, feet, toes and fingers away from the rear tire and chain. Only let it spin for a brief time and then clutch back in and apply rear brake. If it doesn't do it on the stand then it is likely chain out of adjustment or the cush rubbers.

Pictures could also help us out.

First place to start looking is the end of the final drive and work backward towards the transmission, be methodical in your approach, step by step.
Check the sprocket carrier/Cush drive for wear and play, first place to look at, easiest also. Will most likely be in the final drive of the transmission.
Let us know what you find!

How many miles on the bike? It could be cush driver rubbers. Is it only a noise? Or is there an associated "dunk" or I guess maybe a "clunk" feeling when the sound is emitted.
Do you have a rear pit-bull stand. You can put the bike up with rear tire off ground, make sure it is secure and put it in gear. Let the clutch out slowly and see if you can differentiate where the noise is coming from that way. Just be careful to keep hands, feet, toes and fingers away from the rear tire and chain. Only let it spin for a brief time and then clutch back in and apply rear brake. If it doesn't do it on the stand then it is likely chain out of adjustment or the cush rubbers.

Pictures could also help us out.
Lol you beat me to it Steven!

Thanks for the answers.7100 miles and otherwise running great.Regards from Sweden.

Glad its running good. Man that video makes me want to bundle up, shovel the driveway, drain the old fuel out of my Busa, go to the gas station and get a gallon of fresh fuel, go home, fire her up and go riding!

Back