What is your profession ?

Hvac/Refrigeration Mechanic licensed Journeyman. That's all I did my entire working life and Thats all I ever wanted to do..Retired 3 years ago at 53. Now I Live....
NICE rocketman…. NICE.... did u name ure scoot yet? im gonna call it megalodon....

This thread needs more cool photos of what you guys do :)

Setup today, Friday. Trade Saturday & Sunday
3 days of 12-15 hours.
334 pc's or terminals
39 printers
40 laptops
Unknown amount of network cabling
Quad redundant network aggregated for increased bandwidth back to data centre.

My job: plan, scope, design, support and manage the support team over the 3 days.

20190208_195808-605x340.jpg

20190208_195557-605x340.jpg

Setup today, Friday. Trade Saturday & Sunday
3 days of 12-15 hours.
334 pc's or terminals
39 printers
40 laptops
Unknown amount of network cabling
Quad redundant network aggregated for increased bandwidth back to data centre.

My job: plan, scope, design, support and manage the support team over the 3 days.

View attachment 1594053

View attachment 1594054
Wow, all those servers..... the heat in there must be......or not probably an air conditioned room

Please tell me how you feel about the AGV helmet. I had an Ari and have hated everything else but think AGV may be the way to go fit & function wise.

I really like it. It is not the cheap model, but a step up. The only thing I dislike about it is in full tuck u have to bend ur neck a bit more than others due to the front top comes down a bit more than others. Great if ur riding into the sun... u can tilt down a bit and keep it out of ur eyes. I will buy another next. Mine is a 2016 model. I hear they have changed this issue in the newer model years. Racers complaining?
Troy

Awesome thread....loving the detail, so many backgrounds wow!
Me...
18-26 -Can't tell ya-
Left service and worked with at risk youth for several years in Baltimore communities.
Graduated with Clinical Psych Degree so I worked for Johns Hopkins Psych and UNIV MD Medical System running adolescent psych programs. 5 years
Worked as an HR Director for MD Architectural Firm 3 years
Worked for Verizon ( little known fact, I was on the team that worked with Bell labs to design DSL modems)
Worked for General Motors Power-train Division as a Quality Manager on the Allison 1000 Transmission Project ( DoD side)
Cant tell ya-
Lured back to Uncle Sam, worked at CMS for 7 years 2210-GS-14-5 Deputy Division Director
Recruited by National Science Foundation 4 years
Cant tell ya's again-
Started my IT business, White Rook Technologies dealing with advanced tech, NVME, Flash, HPC, DR, VDI, Surveillance etc
Started Intel Operations company, staffed ONLY with United States Veteran men and women ( 12 so far)
Run both companies working Civilian Fed, DoD, SLED, TONS of "Can't tell ya's" we do work world wide now.
Travel a lot, wrote a ton of RFI, RFP's SOW's lol
This year have projects in...
Prague
Israel
South Korea
Ghana
Australia
Sht ton of bases CONUS.

Man would I like to chat with you cause I have a 12YO in middle school and can't figure out where these teachers are coming from AT ALL. :banghead:..........................:poke:

IDK--could be the community. My middle school sucked. We had two great teachers but a bunch who would probably preferred to do something else. It's a tough age group. One I always hoped to avoid but recently it has become my favorite age to work with. I am still terrified of kindergarteners and always have been.

One thing I can tell you, making contact with your kid's teachers makes a big difference, at least it does with me. When they know you know their mom a/o dad or grandpa/gramma, it has a lot of impact on the relationship they have with you. I also have a more positive attitude with a student who is having trouble if I know their folks. Having a good relationship with your boss or teacher or any superior definitely helps anyone.

Last edited:
After reading these offered personal histories, I thought: wow, what a wonderfully eclectic collection of beautiful people found in this community! Truly, it's not about the destination but rather the journey. What does that say about our passion for Hayabusa?

I once had a wife who insisted I get rid of the dog, then a dog, and a wife who insisted I get rid of the motorcycle. Now I have a dog and a Hayabusa, which is so much more than just a motorcycle. Life is good. I am working on my second novel and work part-time at a movie theater to pay for the dog and the Hayabusa.
What genre do you write in? I like to read, although admittedly most of what I read now is compulsory rather than for enjoyment....

Awesome thread....loving the detail, so many backgrounds wow!
Me...
18-26 -Can't tell ya-
Left service and worked with at risk youth for several years in Baltimore communities.
Graduated with Clinical Psych Degree so I worked for Johns Hopkins Psych and UNIV MD Medical System running adolescent psych programs. 5 years
Worked as an HR Director for MD Architectural Firm 3 years
Worked for Verizon ( little known fact, I was on the team that worked with Bell labs to design DSL modems)
Worked for General Motors Power-train Division as a Quality Manager on the Allison 1000 Transmission Project ( DoD side)
Cant tell ya-
Lured back to Uncle Sam, worked at CMS for 7 years 2210-GS-14-5 Deputy Division Director
Recruited by National Science Foundation 4 years
Cant tell ya's again-
Started my IT business, White Rook Technologies dealing with advanced tech, NVME, Flash, HPC, DR, VDI, Surveillance etc
Started Intel Operations company, staffed ONLY with United States Veteran men and women ( 12 so far)
Run both companies working Civilian Fed, DoD, SLED, TONS of "Can't tell ya's" we do work world wide now.
Travel a lot, wrote a ton of RFI, RFP's SOW's lol
This year have projects in...
Prague
Israel
South Korea
Ghana
Australia
Sht ton of bases CONUS.
Did someone say Allison? Lol

1CD141CD-4066-4F7E-9C2C-E16D25DE054B.jpeg

3A2D890B-E675-490F-9769-F32FE2942BDB.jpeg

On thing about being in IT that I loved, you are always on the up and up with new technology. The one thing I hated, as you said underpaid. I was always underpaid. As a CCNP and Certified voice engineer when Cisco rolled out their CUE and Unified Calling systems I made $65,000 at the top of the ladder. But the mental benefits and knowledge made it all worth it.
Agreed! Although I never went for any certs I did the degree route. After working in the field I realized actual hands on knowledge is much more valuable than someone with a degree or 10 certs. Good help is hard to find and I definitely find myself drowning sometimes because of the workload. Trying to rollout Sharepoint as we speak, integrate a new payroll system etc while balancing everything else is tough. Unfortunately IT work comes with deadlines and I definitely overpromise. Blah blah LOL Pays the bills!

The best job in the world in my opinion.......... being a mechanic is like being a barber...... the client really has to trust you.
I agree with that to an extent, only thing with the barber is there is less chance of error. Automotive and the diagnosing that goes with it unfortunately means that sometimes the repair doesn't always fix the problem. But the trust level required is all the same.

Agreed! Although I never went for any certs I did the degree route. After working in the field I realized actual hands on knowledge is much more valuable than someone with a degree or 10 certs. Good help is hard to find and I definitely find myself drowning sometimes because of the workload. Trying to rollout Sharepoint as we speak, integrate a new payroll system etc while balancing everything else is tough. Unfortunately IT work comes with deadlines and I definitely overpromise. Blah blah LOL Pays the bills!
Everyone overpromises in IT. That is what seperates the good from the great. And as far as deadlines, those in IT know that deadlines mean long hours, sleepless nights and unequivocal amounts of stress. So much has changed now a days with cloud computing. Everything is hosted, but back when I was in IT the majority of equipment was housed on-site and the backups as well. Has the transitions effected business for you at all?

Everyone overpromises in IT. That is what seperates the good from the great. And as far as deadlines, those in IT know that deadlines mean long hours, sleepless nights and unequivocal amounts of stress. So much has changed now a days with cloud computing. Everything is hosted, but back when I was in IT the majority of equipment was housed on-site and the backups as well. Has the transitions effected business for you at all?
Funny you say that. We just moved onto O365 in a Hybrid environment. I assumed this would cause us less hassle but sometimes it can be a pain in the ass. We had issues with public folders appearing and disappearing on desktops and Microsoft literally had no answer for us. Literally 2 months passed and they still don't know the issue. Tried blaming the inhouse desktops but I proved them wrong by doing a clean win 10 install O2016 and the issue persisted. Of course, you don't have any real access to their hosted side so sometimes it makes things difficult.

It's nice in a way as uptime has been pretty consistent but we had to kick up the internet. We are trying to move file sharing onto the cloud and get rid of some of the inhouse servers. We used Barracuda SSL VPN for a while but for file sharing it is literally the worst system.

Back