Anybody here affected by US goverment shutdown ?

If they were trying to go unnoticed they wouldn't tell you they were Canadian....
Agreed but I have had 50+ people tell me that they were illigal Mexicans. Again speaking from my own personal experiences. Am I know it has to do with my field of work.

But I have met foreign exchange students form several countries but never met a Canadian in person.

My first year of claiming married. I was pist when my wife that makes a little over 42k claimed 5 paid a little over 1k in federal taxes. I paid $9,700 claiming 0 at 67k a year and are expecting a refund around 3k. So combined we make 109 and with us and 3 kids that put us at paying just over 3k federal. I get some deductions for work.
That’s insane! It’s such bull. Why is it that when we do well the government does even better. My girlfriend makes 40k and gets a significant amount back every year but it always goes to catching up on bills or vehicle repairs or other things.
Did anyone notice the new tax brackets this year??
The sad thing about the whole thing is outta high school everyone said “go to college” well I didn’t, I obtained a CCNA Networking certificate and landed a job with a Cisco partner that started me at 40k a year. For an 18 year old that was a lot (2005 min wage was $7.25). I cleared back then about $680 a week. I changed career paths when I realized that computer networking was going to cease the way I knew it due to cloud computing, tablets and just streamlined infrastructure, I got into business management.
Now 14 years later I run an large scale vehicle fleet repair busines. My first check at the 6 fig salary at 1 dependent was $1174 take home. It’s like you would think a 60k a year diff from my 18 year old days would be more than double take home when it really is not even double.

F02A1410-798A-4EC6-8EE2-81BF5809F367.jpeg

Idk? I still say ALL OF THIS IS MEDIA PROPAGANDA!!!!!

Trump wants to build a 5 billion dollar wall then so be it..... The United States bleeds $$$ every single waking minute!!! We are already up to our eyeballs in debt and our grandchildren will owe China so what difference does it make if our great grand children will owe them too???

How much money was spent on the last 2 elections...??? How many $10,000 plates did Hillary sell for her fundraiser dinners @ some hollyweird celebrities chateau??? This is just a sample of the ridiculous spending that goes on in our country.
https://www.rd.com/culture/wasteful-government-spending-examples/

You have to sometimes tune out the noise and just look around...... you’ll see things for what they really are. This isn’t about a wall or how many billion dollars it costs. It’s about the Democrats not wanting to give Trump what he wants. They will cut off their nose despite their face just to oppose him. They know if he is able to deliver on the promise to his Base of building “The Great Wall” then that will certainly be a dagger in the hearts of the Democratic Party for this upcoming election. That is what this is about. Democrats could give a sh@t less how much or how little $$$ it costs or how many federal workers don’t get paid or parks stay Shut down. They ONLY want to gain an advantage for the upcoming election

Wall, fence, physical barrier...call it what you want. It’s only part of a larger solution and nobody is talking about the entire southern border. Visa overstays also need monitoring and enforcement, and other areas of vulnerability need attention too. Both sides need to negotiate and work toward a compromise. Refusing to negotiate and then being indignant that the other side is being subversive against your agenda to try and push you to the bargaining table is silly. Politics have gotten to divisive. Both sides need to willingly negotiate and find compromise. This sh*t should have been addressed 30+ years ago.

I would just like to point out that since President Trump has been elected there has been a large influx of illegals crossing into Canada from the US. Our current govt is making no effort to send them back
I'm not sure why you think there are more Canadian illegals in the US than from elsewhere But I honestly believe that you have been misled.

I have to sadly admit that I have not paid taxes in 3 years. I’m at a point where I’m screwed because I don’t even have the means to pay the back taxes. Lost w2’s....no idea of what my income was.
The problem I face is I am salaried at 100,000 annually. If I was to let them tax me at the single individual I technically am ( I’m not married only engaged and the daughter we have is from her previous relationship) I could never stay afloat. They tax so much in the bracket I fall that I make the same amount of money that I took home at $40-$45,000 annual salary.
I claim 10 dependents just so we can survive and when I run the numbers at the end of the year I wind up owing $8,000 + to the government that I can’t afford to pay. So 3 years I just have not paid it. I know I am basically screwed when they do realize I have not paid but I have no other means.
You show providing for her and claim her as a dependant as long as noone else tries to at the same time you are good.
If it gets bad with them you could go with Optima to negotiate a reduced settlement if you wanted to go the conservative route. Sometimes they take 25 cents on the dollar to get it over with. Ignore computer generated notices that arn't signed by dept heads. Nobody even knows they went out, if you want to kick the can down the road.

Where a wall is a viable option for success it should absolutely be included. A wall as desired by the administration is problematic for many reasons, and this is where the problem lies. The focus of the administration must shift away from campaign rhetoric towards something achievable.
Respectfully, you're wrong on most of those points. A solid barrier is not possible for the entire length of the border, treaties, land owners and geology prevent it. A fence and a wall are not the same thing. The anecdotal experience of your brother is not supported by the evidence. Suggestions that Democrats don't want secure borders are laughably false, and Nancy is indeed arrogant (I'm not a fan) but her arrogance pales in comparison to the manner in which McConnell paralyzes the Senate. The country who's citizens make up the largest portion of the illegal population is our neighbor to the north, I find it highly unlikely that they entered across the creek....
I said nothing about a "solid barrier for the entire length of the border" You are stretching facts to the obsurd to try to make a point.
Wait... you think there are more illegal CANADIANS here than Mexicans???
I think most Dems want security I was ONLY talking about Dem leaders Who definitely don't give a rats ass about any of us.
Did you see The Nancy and Chuck show when the reporter started to ask about DACA and they scurried off to their safe space? They threw DACA under the bus and didn't dare let the subject come up.
I think you are doing a lot of assuming when it comes to "what the administration desires". They have been negotiating in good faith on what constitutes a "barrier" for over a year.
In 2013 Chuck et al voted for 350 miles of wall the shutdown NOW is to stop 240 miles of barrier (barrier because Trump said steel slats or whatever just so long as it is adequate) that the Repubs are wanting. Hell if "walls are immoral" as is the claim for Nancy and her colleagues do they want to tear down the hundreds of miles of walls/fence that are up now???

Agreed but I have had 50+ people tell me that they were illigal Mexicans. Again speaking from my own personal experiences. Am I know it has to do with my field of work.

But I have met foreign exchange students form several countries but never met a Canadian in person.
The 2018 population of Canada was some 36 million, There are 30 + million Illegal Mexicans in the US. Does anyone really think that most of Canada has come here illegally?

Are Nancy and Chuck Mexicans? That's who Trump said was going to pay for the wall.
Mexico is paying now, Nafta was costing us so much the savings alone will pay for the small amount of wall needed. And if you remember over a year ago a reporter asked "Do you really think Mexico is just going to write a check?" Trump said "No but one way or another they will pay".

Idk? I still say ALL OF THIS IS MEDIA PROPAGANDA!!!!!

Trump wants to build a 5 billion dollar wall then so be it..... The United States bleeds $$$ every single waking minute!!! We are already up to our eyeballs in debt and our grandchildren will owe China so what difference does it make if our great grand children will owe them too???

How much money was spent on the last 2 elections...??? How many $10,000 plates did Hillary sell for her fundraiser dinners @ some hollyweird celebrities chateau??? This is just a sample of the ridiculous spending that goes on in our country.
https://www.rd.com/culture/wasteful-government-spending-examples/

You have to sometimes tune out the noise and just look around...... you’ll see things for what they really are. This isn’t about a wall or how many billion dollars it costs. It’s about the Democrats not wanting to give Trump what he wants. They will cut off their nose despite their face just to oppose him. They know if he is able to deliver on the promise to his Base of building “The Great Wall” then that will certainly be a dagger in the hearts of the Democratic Party for this upcoming election. That is what this is about. Democrats could give a sh@t less how much or how little $$$ it costs or how many federal workers don’t get paid or parks stay Shut down. They ONLY want to gain an advantage for the upcoming election
I think everything is media propaganda every subject every issue and that is why they hate trump's tweets so much. What other Prez has connected directly to the people like that. They like to ask questions then spin the answers to their liking.
Thirty years North K has been impossible to deal with well?
Nancy P says "He wants a wall but I have a better idea" What? you have been in charge for decades why would we listen to YOU.
We have been told we owe so much to China as you state BUT we owe MOST of the debt to the Fed Reserve.
All of these issues are to hang a boogie man in front of us. You watch since they lost "The domino effect of OMG communism" They will come up with a war of the worlds invasion LOL

Something I want to ask you folks if you know of this.
In the law for federal workers that are almost impossible to fire, lay off or otherwise get rid of, not that I want anyone out of work but you have to admit the gov is bloated with dead weight, there is a provision that after 30 days off or 22 missed work days certain categories can be laid off. hmmm is this why every morning they say this is day number such and such?

Wall, fence, physical barrier...call it what you want. It’s only part of a larger solution and nobody is talking about the entire southern border. Visa overstays also need monitoring and enforcement, and other areas of vulnerability need attention too. Both sides need to negotiate and work toward a compromise. Refusing to negotiate and then being indignant that the other side is being subversive against your agenda to try and push you to the bargaining table is silly. Politics have gotten to divisive. Both sides need to willingly negotiate and find compromise. This sh*t should have been addressed 30+ years ago.
I agree with most of what you're saying here, but to single out one side as being obstructionist is disingenuous. They're all guilty of that.

I said nothing about a "solid barrier for the entire length of the border" You are stretching facts to the obsurd to try to make a point.
Wait... you think there are more illegal CANADIANS here than Mexicans???
I think most Dems want security I was ONLY talking about Dem leaders Who definitely don't give a rats ass about any of us.
Did you see The Nancy and Chuck show when the reporter started to ask about DACA and they scurried off to their safe space? They threw DACA under the bus and didn't dare let the subject come up.
I think you are doing a lot of assuming when it comes to "what the administration desires". They have been negotiating in good faith on what constitutes a "barrier" for over a year.
In 2013 Chuck et al voted for 350 miles of wall the shutdown NOW is to stop 240 miles of barrier (barrier because Trump said steel slats or whatever just so long as it is adequate) that the Repubs are wanting. Hell if "walls are immoral" as is the claim for Nancy and her colleagues do they want to tear down the hundreds of miles of walls/fence that are up now???
But the wall that the administration wants is exactly that. A wall, not a fence or barrier, a wall, across the whole southern border.
I am absolutely not a fan of Chuck or Nancy, and scurry is a good description of what they did in that situation, but I do think it is ironic when the obstruction charge is leveled against them by those who did exactly that, and nothing but that, for the entire second half of the last presidency.
Check the number of visa overstays vs illegal entries and hyou'll find that of the number of people here that shouldn't be, Mexico is only one of many. The northern border is even more porous than the southern.

In many states they just closed mental health facilities and just toss the mentally ill in prison.
The federal government did this under Reagan as part of the "cost cutting" and privatization trends that were championed by the conservatives then. Let's see, release mentally ill people out onto the street without any supervision or care, and privatize the corrections industry. Hmmm....

It's a little more complicated than that. Chuck and Nancy have never supported a "wall" , and nor should they. A border barrier is indeed a necessity, but a wall is both logistically impractical and fiscally unsound. It's yet another case of popular rhetoric making for terrible policy. The vast majority of people illegally in the country didn't come in through uncontrolled areas of the southern border, they came through legitimate ports of entry, with the correct paperwork and simply didn't leave. The vast majority of illegal drugs are not carried over uncontrolled areas of the southern border, they travel through legitimate ports of entry hidden among legal imports. Building a wall has historically been an utter failure (think Maginot Line and the Great Wall of China), ending up nothing more than a geographic footnote, there's absolutely no reason to think that this one would fare any better.
I agree that Chuck and Nancy should come to the table and negotiate, along with Mitch allowing a vote on any bill presented to the Senate, not just the ones he likes.

I do not agree. Year after year there has been talk (and funding) about improving "border security" - yet, the condition worsens. That money ends up going to payroll and equipment that all have a short user life. A WALL, however, is a physical object that everyone can see. I would rather this money go into something concrete (a play on words) rather than into the ether. BUILD THE WALL.

I do not agree. Year after year there has been talk (and funding) about improving "border security" - yet, the condition worsens. That money ends up going to payroll and equipment that all have a short user life. A WALL, however, is a physical object that everyone can see. I would rather this money go into something concrete (a play on words) rather than into the ether. BUILD THE WALL.
I'm not following how making something more visible does anything to stop the things that we want (need) stopped. Sure it would fulfill a campaign promise (as if those ever come to fruition), and it would give some people a (false) sense of security, but if the threat of death doesn't deter people from coming, why on earth would a reasonable person think that they wouldn't climb a wall? Or drill through it? Or dig under it? Or, best of all, use a ladder.....
I do like your pun though, that was good....

Back