BST Wheels

Here's where we're at with the BSTs. I want the new Rapid TEK design for the 2013-2019 busa.

Problem: I have an 08. Will the ABS compatible Rapid TEKs for the 2013 fit my 08?

I received some drawings and as you can see, the rear for the 08 is just a .60 mm wider than the RapidTEK.

I say .60 mm narrower at the hub will fit the rear. The swing arm will squeeze together to fit the hub. What do you think?

Brocks said 08-12 BSTs have been fit to an ABS model but it took a bit of rigmarole to fit the ABS wheels to an 08-12. The guy couldn't remember exactly what tweaking was required.

original.rear.png

RapidTEK.rear.png

Brooks has no drawing of the front Rapid TEK for 2013-19. I do not know how much it may differ from the front traditional design BST that is made to fit my 08.

I want these Rapid TEKs. Any thoughts? Remember, can't return them if I install them.

That .6mm would be within the acceptable tolerance I would think , most of the critical measurements had a +-.20mm . The new BST is offered to fit the L3+ Busa , so you might want to go and have a look at the front of an abs equipped busa , and check for yourself just how different the front wheel spacing etc. is compared to your '08 . I bet everything is basically the same , but just to be sure .
The BST hubs on both the drawings looks like they both are using the same , that is interesting .

Why not use one .60mm washer, or two .30mm(depending if the space needs taken up on one side or both), rather than try to "squeeze" the rear of the swingarm together.
That's a real thin washer. .30 is getting down to sheet metal I'd think. I'd have to make them but it seems like that would work.

The new BST is offered to fit the L3+ Busa , so you might want to go and have a look at the front of an abs equipped busa
That's what we'll do then. I'll make some photos and cut some templates from my stock wheel and compare to a real ABS busa. It's going to be a long road trip to find a new busa but it's about time I stop into a dealership to sit on some new bikes anyway.

I'll post my findings ASAP.

Yes, very thin, roughly .023-.024" thick
That is about 6 sheets of paper thick, or 3 per side.
More of a shim than a washer, but I still would not want to draw up the slack just by tightening the axle nut.

Aluminum beer/drink cans are around .008" thick, and make good shim material.

There was a discussion about doing wheelies with CF rims on another thread but I'm not able to find it. The comments surrounded the idea that CF rims were very rigid and could shatter from high impacts such as might occur when the front wheel comes down from a wheelie. I was told Brocks has info online about this but all of Brocks' pages are not secure and I don't want to go to them with my computer.

I did find this bit of information below a Brocks search heading:

BST carbon fiber wheels, with a standard load rating of 330 lbs. ... above combined with improper tire pressure and or a wheelie may damage the wheel. Brock's ...

and I do like to use low tire pressure and do some low wheelies.

I found this video. At 2:00 Brock discusses the impact tests done on BST rims and they hold up better than metal rims. The CF does flex, the tire holds air.

But then there's this: Strong, somewhat flexible but brittle once the maximum flexion is exceeded.

So here I am,

I put 2008 wheels on my 2013. It has an older McIntosh swingarm. I didn't have any issues. I put ABS Core Moto wheels on my 2008 and had no issues. It uses a DME swingarm and they did not ask me what year wheels I was using when I ordered it. I have a friend who busted his Dymag 5-spoke front wheel coming down from a hard wheelie at the track. I have landed many hard wheelies on stock wheels with no issue. I have seen .060 variation in swingarm width in the free state.

Thanks @Dennis for responding to both concerns I had, fitment of different year wheels to different year bikes and wheelies. The fitment issue doesn't seem to be a problem as long as Gen2 wheels are used on Gen2 busas. As for wheelies, I think tire pressure might have a lot to do with how easily any wheel might bend. I have a friend who hit a cinder block on the highway and bent the OEM wheel on his CBR 1000 but the tire never lost air. An OEM wheel probably never will break but it could bend. I think a CF wheel will flex but it wont deform as much as an OEM wheel without breaking.

Last edited:
Thanks @Dennis for responding to both concerns I had, fitment of different year wheels to different year bikes and wheelies. The fitment issue doesn't seem to be a problem as long as Gen1 wheels are used on Gen1 busas. As for wheelies, I think tire pressure might have a lot to do with how easily any wheel might bend. I have a friend who hit a cinder block on the highway and bent the OEM wheel on his CBR 1000 but the tire never lost air. An OEM wheel probably never will break but it could bend. I think a CF wheel will flex but it wont deform as much as an OEM wheel without breaking.
I don't understand your comment on Gen1 wheels. I thought everything we were talking about was Gen2?

If you could buy a set of BST carbon fiber wheels for 3k would you go for it.
Yes, bought a set in 2008 when a guy in Orlando was selling them... weren't compatible with the Gen 2. And that was US$ to Cdn, but worth it!!! He also had custom carbon fiber brake carriers with wave rotors. Never seen anything like it since. Sill have my 2000, and it's under 500lbs with those wheels and a Yosh 4:1 CF exhause.

Back