My new long range build

GAmedic

Registered
I'm getting into long range shooting and wanted a good platform to start with. Quality is everything so I knew I wanted something from a reputable company. After doing research on rifles and calibers, I knew I wanted to shoot 6.5 Creedmoor and now to find the suitable rifle.

After reading reviews and watching videos, I decided on Ruger. Found this one for a great price and nicely equipped with a low round count owned by a guy who works for Daniel Defense.

It's a Ruger Precision Rifle. Chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. From the factory, it comes with a 24" free floating barrel with a 1:8 twist rate and 5/8-24 threaded tip for your choice muzzle break or suppressor. Free floating hand guard with key mod accessory rail. Folding stock with adjustability for cheek rest height and total length. Double action trigger with pull adjustments ranging from 2-6 lb draw. The rifle is very loosely based on an AR platform, in that it accepts any AR magazine, AR hand grip, and AR stock.

The extras on this one include a Harris bipod, Burris XTR II scope in 5-25x50 optics with Burris MOA adjustable scope rings, DPMS hand grip with palm shelf, picatinny anti-cant bubble level, Atlas monopod, and CTK extended magazine release.

Next gun mods will be a Proof Research carbon fiber barrel and Lancer Systems carbon fiber hand guard.

In due time, I'll be hitting targets at 1500m with ease.

In case anyone is interested in doing this, here are the financials of this build:

Rifle - 1500
Scope - 1200
Bipod - 80
Scope rings - 100
DPMS hand grip - 40
Atlas monopod - 90
Mag release - 40
CF barrel ( coming soon ) - 920
CF hand guard ( coming soon ) - 300

20190111_215225.jpg

Last edited:
Just picked up this Atlas bipod and a pair of their stainless spike feet the other day(at the rate I'm going I'll need to get run over again this year:laugh:).

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/4...picatinny-rail-mount-55-to-105-aluminum-black

I like the idea of adjustable cant on that one but the price is a little out of range for me on something as simple as the bipod. I do like their multi position legs but in reality I'm not sure I'll see very much benefit from it. From a prone position, I can prop on my gear bag and be fine. The Harris bipod I have has adjustable cant already.

You mentioned a carbon fiber barrel. Is that literally a rifle barrel made from carbon fiber? Or a cover or something?

416R military grade aluminum machined down and impregnated by forged carbon fiber making it 30x stronger than aluminum and 7x stronger than steel. Due to the increased heat dissipation properties and its overall light weight design, itll last longer than most any other barrel on the market both factory and aftermarket.

It's also the only CF barrel approved for use by the US military.

cf-ruger.png

416R military grade aluminum machined down and impregnated by forged carbon fiber making it 30x stronger than aluminum and 7x stronger than steel. Due to the increased heat dissipation properties and its overall light weight design, itll last longer than most any other barrel on the market both factory and aftermarket.

It's also the only CF barrel approved for use by the US military.

View attachment 1591378
Thank you! I was wondering what the benefit would be.

Thank you! I was wondering what the benefit would be.

I'll see more benefit in competition than I will in pleasure shooting. The idea behind competition shooting is X rounds on X targets in X amount of time. Heat becomes a big problem for precision shooting after 20 or more rounds and that doesn't take ambient temperature into consideration.

To get an idea of what I'm facing, I have to take all of this into account in order to make a calculated precise shot at 2000m:

Barrel length
Ambient temperatures
Barrel twist rate
Ammo weight
Ammo ballistic coefficient rate
Muzzle velocity
Kinetic energy
Range to target
Wind speed and direction
Elevation
Angle to target

There are more things to calculate.

I like the idea of adjustable cant on that one but the price is a little out of range for me on something as simple as the bipod. I do like their multi position legs but in reality I'm not sure I'll see very much benefit from it. From a prone position, I can prop on my gear bag and be fine. The Harris bipod I have has adjustable cant already.

The first one I bought with adjustable cant and pan could only be secured by tightening a thumb screw which wasn't enough to secure the weight of the heavy barrel and scope and with the narrow spread of the feet($200 shot in the ass)almost caused the rifle to fall off the work bench when it flopped to the side while being unattended for a moment.The Atlas is much more stable with a wider stance and several locking devices(exceptional quality),including the ease of switching to the pointed feet so as to be able to load the bipod correctly when shooting from prone in dirt,grass,etc.

Learned a lot from this guy,lots of great videos.

I'll probably look again at an Atlas bipod. I'm going to shoot with what I have for the time being. I'm probably gonna go ahead and order my barrel since I'm building for a very specific reason. The only ammo this thing will see is 147gr Hornady ELD match. Seems to have the highest BC of any other brand which is what I'll need for long range beyond 1000m.

I was doing it right....with my old compound bow.

I figured you were. I always think it's funny when someone (usually after a couple of beers) talks about the amazing 400+ yard shot they took to bring down a deer. I usually wonder out loud if getting a little closer might have been a better idea.

I've always enjoyed the kicking around out in the woods part of hunting and the eating, but the cleaning and dressing is not something I enjoy.

Reactions: c10
I figured you were. I always think it's funny when someone (usually after a couple of beers) talks about the amazing 400+ yard shot they took to bring down a deer. I usually wonder out loud if getting a little closer might have been a better idea.

I've always enjoyed the kicking around out in the woods part of hunting and the eating, but the cleaning and dressing is not something I enjoy.

Hitting a bull elk in the Colorado mountains at 892m is so much fun though....no beer involved since I dont drink.

I'll probably look again at an Atlas bipod. I'm going to shoot with what I have for the time being. I'm probably gonna go ahead and order my barrel since I'm building for a very specific reason. The only ammo this thing will see is 147gr Hornady ELD match. Seems to have the highest BC of any other brand which is what I'll need for long range beyond 1000m.

Another good video of his on bipods bro(he must have a fortune tied up in rifles),I like his .375 CheyTec where he actually has to look through his muzzle brake(:D)and mentions 150 grains of powder and 400 grain bullets,what a cannon.:D Right now trying to locate some 215 grain and 230 grain loaded Berger ammo(until I can start loading my own)but seems to be on back order everywhere I look.

Back