Harley Livewire Priced at $29,799. lol

They aren't the first by a long shot. Zero motorcycles have been around for years. I rode one and it was pretty decent too.

They aren't a major motorcycle manufacturer but bet your bottom dollar they have been studied by the big boys.

Here's a link to the best electric bikes of 2018 just for giggles (the Lightning LS218 is a brute).

https://dgit.com/best-electric-motorcycles-496/
I'd actually take that Alta SM! That is if Alta we're still around!

Practicality is the main drawback as I see it.
Battery size
Battery life between charges
Battery recharging time

If the batteries can be greatly downsized (and) their charging life greatly increased (and) the batteries can be exchanged quickly for another already charged one then...easy huh? Charging/exchanging stations would have to pop up everywhere and batteries would have to be interchangeable as quickly as a gasoline fill up. Battery leasing maybe? Easy huh?:laugh:

Can’t really credit them for producing a $30k garage ornament.....

Wanna produce something how about a current model bike with idk? Maybe rider modes!!! Indian has been in the game for less than 5 years and they already have rider modes and electronic windshield on their Baggers

Your selling a performance H-D with the FXDR but it’s air cooled with less than 100HP, no rider modes, traction control or launch mode. So aside from the “performance” price tag it’s nothing new.

They can’t even update or improve upon their current models that they’ve been making for the past 20+ years???? Why jump into a niche market with a $30k turd!?!? :banghead:
I saw one of those “pastel green” and white Indians with brown saddlebags in person today and that thing is a beauty!!!! I like the Stryker and the m109r, but today I added those Indians to my list of cruisers I like.

I saw one of those “pastel green” and white Indians with brown saddlebags in person today and that thing is a beauty!!!! I like the Stryker and the m109r, but today I added those Indians to my list of cruisers I like.

They are good looking, especially that motor but, they weigh almost 1,000 pounds!

They are good looking, especially that motor but, they weigh almost 1,000 pounds!

The weight is distributed well on those bikes. Once you get moving you don’t even notice it. My Roadglide is 900+ lbs and you don’t feel the weight...... Hence the name Road GLIDE :rolleyes:

Unless you are really short or weigh like a buck 20 soaking wet low speed maneuvers really aren’t an issue either. You just gotta be smart about how you park such as backing into a parking space rather than pullin in. Or placement of your feet in loose gravel etc

When it comes to touring the weight is actually a good thing. Cross winds and 18 wheelers don’t blow me all over the place. The bike feels solid and planted in turns and highways

Last edited:
Why would they need traction control or wheelie control??? Lol. Maybe they know something we all don’t. Tesla seems to do well maybe enough hippie with 30g are wanting a electric hog. I would say is I like the look.

I can’t speak for everyone but I’ve ridden in a lot of adverse weather conditions with my Harley. I also know a lot of guys who ride theirs damn near year round up north. The roads in PA, OH, WV etc aren’t the best. So riding around a sweeper and hitting a patch of ice or where a road washed out and you encounter loose gravel TRACTION CONTROL would be a nice added feature to a $25k touring bike........ All the other major brands have had this feature on their premium touring bikes for quite some time so why can’t HD??? I see more Harley’s on the road than any other brand twice over.

Far as the launch control etc Harley’s new FXDR is supposed to be their new Flagship Performance model bike!!! Big motor with a 240 rear tire and clip on handle bars inverted front end etc. The promo videos show a guy zipping around a race track and holeshotting. So again why wouldn’t your so called performance bike have PERFORMANCE features like a launch control or rider modes etc??? I don’t think it’s too far fetched to ask for these things from a $23k motorcycle Do you??

I agree they’re the majority bike out there but almost a half ton, distributed well or not is still a half ton, before it’s packed for a tour or I get on it.
AED70E74-F56E-41EF-9AC9-3C9A49F7E7BD.jpeg

They aren't the first by a long shot. Zero motorcycles have been around for years. I rode one and it was pretty decent too.

They aren't a major motorcycle manufacturer but bet your bottom dollar they have been studied by the big boys.

Here's a link to the best electric bikes of 2018 just for giggles (the Lightning LS218 is a brute).

https://dgit.com/best-electric-motorcycles-496/

I know HD isn't the first.
But they are the first major mfg to do so.
Even non bike people have heard of HD and the big 4 Japanese companies.
Not so much on all the previous one off electrics.

I know HD isn't the first.
But they are the first major mfg to do so.
Even non bike people have heard of HD and the big 4 Japanese companies.
Not so much on all the previous one off electrics.

Just wanted to be on record saying HD wasn't the first.

Zero is well known, they have lots of advertising.

Just wanted to be on record saying HD wasn't the first.

Zero is well known, they have lots of advertising.

Zero is an electric motorcycle company. So of course they’ve been making electric motorcycles. They don’t make anything but electric bikes.....

What Six is saying is that H-D is the 1st of the major we’ll known established combustion engine motorcycle companies to put out an electric bike. Zero is a niche company some people know about them but you can go to anywhere in the world and people know Harley Davidson. They know Honda and Suzuki you can’t make the same statement for Zero motorcycles

Why would they need traction control or wheelie control??? Lol. Maybe they know something we all don’t. Tesla seems to do well maybe enough hippie with 30g are wanting a electric hog. I would say is I like the look.

Our Tesla S gets us 500 miles on the highway before a 30 min charge, with the dogs and wife - we usually stop for 30-45 mins anyways when we take road trips at gas stations to walk them and let them run. I can't justify 110 of normal riding.

Last edited:
Zero is an electric motorcycle company. So of course they’ve been making electric motorcycles. They don’t make anything but electric bikes.....

What Six is saying is that H-D is the 1st of the major we’ll known established combustion engine motorcycle companies to put out an electric bike. Zero is a niche company some people know about them but you can go to anywhere in the world and people know Harley Davidson. They know Honda and Suzuki you can’t make the same statement for Zero motorcycles

I was tracking what he was saying. Just point out another motorcycle company was making and selling viable E bikes before them.

Agreed HD is obviously the big dog here. I know they have been dabbling with E-Dragsters for quite a while.

I've seen a few Zero bikes and was able to ride one, it had decent range and acceleration, it was an adventure style bike.

I suspect Harley is aware of the aging demographic of their traditional customer base in North America, their resistance to change and the loss of the middle class purchasing power over the last decade hence Harley's strategy is aiming at the top 1% earners, in Asia and Europe to whom tradition, price and range are less of a concern.

just a guess on my part.

cheers
ken

I suspect Harley is aware of the aging demographic of their traditional customer base in North America, their resistance to change and the loss of the middle class purchasing power over the last decade hence Harley's strategy is aiming at the top 1% earners, in Asia and Europe to whom tradition, price and range are less of a concern.

just a guess on my part.

cheers
ken

Makes sense to me, I couldn't imagine they have been sitting on their hands or wouldn't have the capability to tool an entirely different bike if they wanted.
Just like you eluded, they have a certain customer base they cater to.

Well, Victory (Polaris) was actually the first established motorcycle company to market an electric bike although it was just a Brammo Empulse rebadged as the Impulse. Kudos to Harley for developing their own instead of just swallowing up an existing company but if they were smart, they sell them at a loss initially to move the metal and get people actually riding the things. Seeing them out on the road is better advertising than any media, especially if their owners are happy and talk positively about them.

2016-victory-empulse-tt_100521132_m.jpg

This feels like MX in the early 90's.
News of 4-strokes replacing the 2-strokes.
Ha! Nonsense...then Yamaha put Doug Henry on one in(94 I think??)
It was a rough year, especially when the engine seized late in a race at the base of a jump, broke both of Henry's arms.
Still, they pushed on, and the EPA had their way. 4-strokes have been the norm for almost 2 decades now(I still miss the 2-stroke smell, and swarm of bees sound at the srarting gate).
It seems as if we're witnessing the beginning of the end for gas bikes now, although it'll be quite a few more years before that ever happens.

This feels like MX in the early 90's.
News of 4-strokes replacing the 2-strokes.
Ha! Nonsense...then Yamaha put Doug Henry on one in(94 I think??)
It was a rough year, especially when the engine seized late in a race at the base of a jump, broke both of Henry's arms.
Still, they pushed on, and the EPA had their way. 4-strokes have been the norm for almost 2 decades now(I still miss the 2-stroke smell, and swarm of bees sound at the srarting gate).
It seems as if we're witnessing the beginning of the end for gas bikes now, although it'll be quite a few more years before that ever happens.

Motorcycles are primarily considered a recreation vehicle. I’d be concerned once the majority of the Big Auto companies all steer toward electric. When the cars all go the bikes will follow. Gonna be a long ways off till that becomes a reality tho....

Motorcycles are primarily considered a recreation vehicle. I’d be concerned once the majority of the Big Auto companies all steer toward electric. When the cars all go the bikes will follow. Gonna be a long ways off till that becomes a reality tho....

I agree, and who knows how long any of us will live, but alot has changed in the world since I was kid(I'm 41).
The internet has helped advance technology rapidly, and at an ever increasing rate.
Once big govt mandates electric vehicles, big spenders support the political campaigns, and the tech becomes feasable, the elite will buy out, bankrupt, or take over big oil.
But what are the odds of society collapsing before then anyway, lol
What's the guess, 30 years?

Back