Gen 1 vs. Gen 2

Scotta

Registered
Brand new to the forum...
Thank you in advance for the help and information.

I am looking for info on the advantage or disadvantage of building a turbo on a Gen 1 or Gen 2 bike. Excluding the cost of a newer Gen 2 bike are there any major considerations when choosing between a Gen 1 or Gen 2?

Thank you,
Scott

Brand new to the forum...
Thank you in advance for the help and information.

I am looking for info on the advantage or disadvantage of building a turbo on a Gen 1 or Gen 2 bike. Excluding the cost of a newer Gen 2 bike are there any major considerations when choosing between a Gen 1 or Gen 2?

Thank you,
Scott

There are advantages and disadvantages between the models that depend on what you intend for this build. How much hp are you looking for? Will this be street, track or a combination? Do you intend on going into the motor, or will this be a "bolt on" Stage One, pump gas build? A little more info is needed, and we are happy to help . . .

Hahaha!
“Help me help you”

Prefect questions.
How much horse power:
I can’t come up with a number specifically. But I will say it has to be enough to be manageable for the street.

Street or Track:
Street.

Bolt-on or into engine:
I am OK with either. With a couple exceptions. I have plenty of tools but no special equipment. Does one or the other has better quality and reliability outcome?

Stage:
Probably stage one, maybe stage two if it’s manageable on the street. Is stage one the only type that excepts pump gas?

Fuel:
Pump gas.

Thank you,
Scott

Additions:
Can you give me some of hard limitations of keeping the bike on the standard swing arm. I want to keep the bike looking mostly stock. Except for showing off the turbo equipment...
I would consider lowering the bike for performance considerations and for easier handeling for me personally. 5’7” 140.

I get the feeling that you have not yet bought the busa . With that in mind and not knowing what other bikes you may have ridden I will say
!) If you have not bought it yet Decide on the bike based more on quality vs price .
2) I feel the gen 2's have worthy improvements but if you spend all you money on the bike and still want a turbo soon you may need to cheap out on the build . Not good
3) If you have not already bought it i would humblely suggest you ride it for at least a year . I have ridden some very powerful drag bikes and fairly fast street bikes I can tell you the busa as a street bike is like nothing i have ridden before . The higher the revs the harder the pull And it just keeps coming .
4) an ecu flash on a gen 2 sounds like it will wake up a stock machine a noticeable amount . You may want to try that first
5) Mr . Russel is quite correct . The only thing you seem sure of is that it will be a street bike and you want people to know it is turbo charged . With that in mind I would recommend a) you get a newer one b) you get use to the power and handling of a stock one before you add another 40 or 50 horses to a very powerful machine . I honestly think you will enjoy it more in the long run if you build it with a solid plan in mind one stage at a time

Installing a turbo on a stock motor you are better off with a Gen 1, because you can make 8 pounds of boost on the stock engine with pump fuel and net between 260-275 rear wheel. All day, reliable, streetable, tuned correctly will seem like the stock bike until it gets past 6,000 rpm. Installing a turbo on a stock Gen 2 and you are limited to 4 pounds of boost on pump because of the Gen 2's higher compression and weak valve springs. This will only get you between 220-230 rear wheel. If you decide to go into the motor on either one, your options increase. On a stock wheel base, Stage One is perfect. With swb, I would probably not recommend more than 300 rear wheel for a turbo newbie . . .

More or less I am on a fact finding mission. The final result being a turbo. I really like to know all the facts before I commit to a bike (Gen 1/2) I am very much fixed on the Busa because of the community around the bike, the styling etc.
-I gave the wrong impression earlier (showing off the turbo equipment). I personally like the enginering side of vehicles and mechanical stuff. I don’t really care what others think...

ah hell....just go ahead with a stage 2,extended arm...and throw a good boost controller on it, for good measure....you know you want to :) lol

but thats a good bit more money....Franks post is great idea....like he said though...if you go into the motor, opens up more possibilities

-Thanks Frank

Speaking of different types of turbo kits.
What are the advantages of a kit that requires “going in” to the engine?

Or

What is difference of the build quality between bolt on / into eng.
What are the are the performance differences between the two types?

I would be fine with paying extra money for something that worked as advertised.
And nothing would be more upsetting than paying any amount of money for a kit that underperformed.

What are the some recommended companies that manufacture different kits?

Thanks,
Scott

Dude, I'd go RCC. A lot of tech support and they're Great Systems. You'll hear different opinions obviously but, I believe most will advise RCC. Maybe I'm wrong. My first was a Velocity stage 2 on a gen 1. Frank had to fix that job later on down the road because the turbo itself wasn't ever right. Just listen to the Pro's. For the most part, the turbo people on here Know Their Sh*t...

I would go gen 2 if your going to do the motor. Nice thing is gen 2 you can drop pistons in and not need a thinker base gasket or cam gears. Can tune the ecu with boost, has 8 injectors factory, can have change different maps with a switch a b c modes.

Gen 1 is good if your OK with 250 whp. Cheaper option if your going to be fine with 250whp for a long time. Gen 1 has a good amount of cons imo.

I had a gen 1 turbo and now have a gen 2 turbo. The video that red bull posted up top is actually both of my bikes. Lol. The gen 1 is my buddies now. He built the motor now and putting and 6262 turbo on it now.

Whatever bike you buy make sure you get a rcc turbo kit. Yes not a cheap kit but it's worth the money. One big thing to a turbo bike is a tune. Boosted cycle and powerhouse are very good at building and tuning. They would be best people to work with.

-Thanks Frank

Speaking of different types of turbo kits.
What are the advantages of a kit that requires “going in” to the engine?

Or

What is difference of the build quality between bolt on / into eng.
What are the are the performance differences between the two types?

I would be fine with paying extra money for something that worked as advertised.
And nothing would be more upsetting than paying any amount of money for a kit that underperformed.

What are the some recommended companies that manufacture different kits?

Thanks,
Scott

Level of horsepower and/or usage would determine whether or not you need to go in the motor. What you want your bike to be when it grows up will dictate which road you choose. The kits themselves are not necessarily different, but the level of boost you want can change exactly how you get there. POWERHOUSE over the last 40 years has built and tuned ATP, Mr. Turbo, Hahn, Velocity, Mc Express, RCC and some no name kits. I can say we have seen everything. Quality and fitment matters, along with customer support and access to technical assistance. That is why many of the names I mentioned are not around anymore. Stick with what you know works. RCC has a two year warranty, no other company does that. And remember, where you get it built and tuned matters . . . a LOT.

I’m sure you have done a lot of stage one on e85 how much more did this pick up than they? How much is the fuel or the system?

This is the first stage 1 bike I’ve done on ethanol fuel. Other then that I dide an all motor 1441 with diesel compression that absolutely loved the fuel. Only reason we tried this is the owner has several big power race cars and has drums of fuel sitting around.

System wise it’s just a regular RCC Stage 1 kit.

I’ll be doing some more testing with this fuel now that I have my own bike again.

After a turbo is installed how is the engine and turbo tuned?
What parameters are tested and adjusted? And how?

Thanks

Back