Heat shield airbox

Had some really good heat shielding tape left over from my last Gixxer I owned . I had bought two rolls , to wrap the underneath of GSXR1100M tank , and had 1 leftover . Wanted to do the Busa airbox , when time allowed , and got it done today . I forget the name of the company that makes it , hink it actually comes from a UK company . I have just fitted up Schnitz short stacks and am waiting on a Sprint P08 F1-85 filter to try out also .
ToadView attachment 1583468

View attachment 1583469
I love the way all your pics of your bike and various parts are scattered around inside the house lmao!
Single man OBVIOUSLY! Your Mum puts up with a lot lol
:D

Because it reflects heat, and really does work.
If it can lower the temperature of the airbox, then the air traveling through it should be cooler, even though the air isn't in there very long. Every little bit counts.

And, as far as my Land Rover goes, I could notice a difference in sound and heat, before I even finished the back half pictured.
sixpac577 could you tell me the difference between gold and silver cool tape? thanks

sixpac577 could you tell me the difference between gold and silver cool tape? thanks

Honestly, no.
I have only ever used the silver, and it's great for keeping heat from where you don't want it, as it insulates very well.
I know someone who used the gold on exhaust manifolds in a truck, and the underhood temperatures where much cooler after...problem was, the heat that was no longer radiating off of the manifolds now had nowhere else to go but out of the exhaust pipes...and it heated the catalytic converters glowing red hot. So, he removed it.
The gold tape may have a higher heat rating, in terms of what temperature it can withstand.
I think the silver would be better for an airbox.
As I said before too, you probably won't notice a difference after wrapping the airbox, but, it's inside temperature will be slightly lower.

What would be interesting to do now is fit a wired temp probe in the box , and record airbox temp at several different ambient temperatures . Then one of us with a stock box install same model temp probe , and ride in same to similar ambient temps , and see what the change may be .

I would think the shielded airbox should keep the engines available air ingestion temperature more consistent to the ambient temperature outside of engine bay , broadly overall , compared to non shielded . The gains would be small regardless , and be less beneficial when compared to moving along at any sort of speed . But anytime the the engine is running or has been running at temperature , like a hot day at a drag strip , where the bike is not always moving and turned on and off , waiting around etc. , the airbox should keep the engine ingested air cooler . Even running a bike up in a dyno room on a hot day , pretty sure it couldn't hurt the readout . This is a pic of the last of a roll , with a ti rotor bolt for reference .
IMG_20181120_170456.jpg

I'll be wrapping the airbox on my next bike, and under the seat.
I think it's great stuff.
I never stopped to think about traffic and stop lights either, especially on hot days.
I bet it really does make a measurable difference then.
The factory's put it under gas tanks anyway, that shows it reflects heat, just too expensive to do airboxes there also.

I'll be wrapping the airbox on my next bike, and under the seat.
I think it's great stuff.
I never stopped to think about traffic and stop lights either, especially on hot days.
I bet it really does make a measurable difference then.
The factory's put it under gas tanks anyway, that shows it reflects heat, just too expensive to do airboxes there also.
Sixpack just do it and you won't disappointed . My airbox have been done

20181213_202340.jpg

20181212_200307.jpg

Because it reflects heat, and really does work.
If it can lower the temperature of the airbox, then the air traveling through it should be cooler, even though the air isn't in there very long. Every little bit counts.

And, as far as my Land Rover goes, I could notice a difference in sound and heat, before I even finished the back half pictured.
Does work keeps heat from motor below. Prevents air box from heating up & temp transfer to air intake. I only had enough audio sound deadening to do the bottom & noticed big difference performance wise.

I was shocked to see that in my air box after both ( stock ) , and ( K&N ) left it clean in the box . Then I found that video afterwards . :(
Got my eye on the piper cross filter as the reviews were no positive for sprint or bmc.

I see Brocks really likes the Sprint P08 F1-85 filter , for not only the price he's getting surely ? :p He got some small gains in HP on the new Gixxer , he said it also filters better than the race version or standard version . I want to believe . :thumbsup:
Don't drink the cool aid Toad!

I just checked my sprint filter , and definitely a free breather filter , I am doing some dust checks , and seems okay so far . I think if you clean it often ( air compressor ) , and don't tour etc. , maybe drag race or short spirited rides , then it will be a great filter imho .

Back