Today's weight reduction party!

That is my friend Jesus
He's my friend too....

jesus-is-my-homeboy-icon1.jpeg

C10,

Got a question, I Just changed over to CF Bar ends which weigh practically nothing. The OE Bar ends were so heavy they could double as a weapon if you put them in a sock and swung them around. I see you opted to remove yours, have you ridden the bike much with out them?

I am contemplating removing my steering damper completely (Since the bike got wrecked I feel un-easy leaving the original on there even if there is nothing wrong with it I am not chancing it) but I am just concerned that the loss of the damper with the lighter bar ends will have me feeling like I have epilepsy while riding down the road.

I will eventually find out but since my front rim is bent riding the bike is not in my foreseeable future until i finish powder-coating the rims.

First sorry its taken so long to answer your questions . From what I have researched ( credit XS1100 yamaha forum ) adding or taking away weight never removes vibration it just moves where it is felt in the rev range . A few examples my ZRX drag bike was very smooth with engine crank shaft balancer , but was terrible once removed . The ZX14 uses TWO crank shaft balancers were they Hayabusa uses 1 . The ZX is butter smooth where the Bird starts to give a mild vibration at 4700 rpms on up . ( still smother than most bikes ) Adding heavy bar ends or filling bars with silicone just move it a few hundred RPMS . I tried the heavy bar ends , and there was no noticeable change over the Rizoma end caps . Keep in mind I just did Three Iron butt runs in 8 days , and vibration was never a issue even cruising 100 plus mph at 5500 to 6200 RPMS . My next trick is to try adjusting the crank shaft balancer while my body work is off . Step one MARK shaft , and ARM before making any adjustment to return to original if a improvement is not found in the adjustment range . The factory adjust it pretty close , but they don't ride it afterwards , and the gear teeth wear in so a minor adjustment can help in vibration . It is adjusted by sound while engine is running . I'll make a video soon on the process .

Things to remember Jeff my bird has handle bars that are hollow , and a diffrent top clamp that is over 4 pounds lighter than a stock bird with its solid clip on bars .

Also if you like research Harmonics and vibration you will find some fun stuff . a Simple worn bearing can cause some peaks in vibration ;)

First sorry its taken so long to answer your questions . From what I have researched ( credit XS1100 yamaha forum ) adding or taking away weight never removes vibration it just moves where it is felt in the rev range . A few examples my ZRX drag bike was very smooth with engine crank shaft balancer , but was terrible once removed . The ZX14 uses TWO crank shaft balancers were they Hayabusa uses 1 . The ZX is butter smooth where the Bird starts to give a mild vibration at 4700 rpms on up . ( still smother than most bikes ) Adding heavy bar ends or filling bars with silicone just move it a few hundred RPMS . I tried the heavy bar ends , and there was no noticeable change over the Rizoma end caps . Keep in mind I just did Three Iron butt runs in 8 days , and vibration was never a issue even cruising 100 plus mph at 5500 to 6200 RPMS . My next trick is to try adjusting the crank shaft balancer while my body work is off . Step one MARK shaft , and ARM before making any adjustment to return to original if a improvement is not found in the adjustment range . The factory adjust it pretty close , but they don't ride it afterwards , and the gear teeth wear in so a minor adjustment can help in vibration . It is adjusted by sound while engine is running . I'll make a video soon on the process .

Things to remember Jeff my bird has handle bars that are hollow , and a diffrent top clamp that is over 4 pounds lighter than a stock bird with its solid clip on bars .

Also if you like research Harmonics and vibration you will find some fun stuff . a Simple worn bearing can cause some peaks in vibration ;)
Hi. I have done the same with my handle bar set up. On my Zx11 with the 1300cc kit I removed the balancer shaft. I had to cut down a freeze plug to fill the hole in the cases also had to drill and tape the oil passage. The rotating assembly was balanced. There was less going up in RPM but more coming down between 5500 to 4000 RPM. And c10 the fastest bagger at Loring is 194 MPH.

Reactions: c10
Don't you find that a throttle body sync smooths the engine out too?
Considering on gen 2 you need suzukis tool to shut off the ISC valve to do a TB sync, and no dealer will touch my bird ever it will likely never be looked at. The Fjr / R6 / and several other throttle body / fuel injection bikes I have done TB sync to have never been far off enough to see a difference Un like all the carbureted bikes I have done.
Carbs get pulled often for cleaning, and un racked causing there sync issues generally.

Considering on gen 2 you need suzukis tool to shut off the ISC valve to do a TB sync, and no dealer will touch my bird ever it will likely never be looked at. The Fjr / R6 / and several other throttle body / fuel injection bikes I have done TB sync to have never been far off enough to see a difference Un like all the carbureted bikes I have done.
Carbs get pulled often for cleaning, and un racked causing there sync issues generally.

I checked my gen 1 with a Carbtune and it was right on.

Well hot damn, first off, thank you Mr Brown and Kid Busa for the input as well, I just didn’t get to thank you previously in this thread.

C10, don’t be sorry for taking long, I know how crazy the days can be. I also have been typing my reply of gratitude for a full day now lol.

Thanks for the crash course on the bar ends So basically I shouldn’t be so much concerned with road vibrations but rather driveline acoustics. Moreover, my stabilizer and my bar ends are not even in the same scope of functionality so that is also something else I just learned. C10 if your not getting prominent vibrations with your hollow bars and lightened triple tree then I certainly should be okay.

18 years ago I started riding on a buell with its rubber mounted and non counter balanced motor I remember there was serious vibration going on in there lol.

I would be much too scared to venture into my crank shaft balancer, I have to pull the motor eventually for a second gear fix and I am dreading that day too. Will powder coat the frame while there though.

ISC can be turned on/off in Ecu Editor

Another way to lose weight, for example with antigravity batteries!!! Read the specifications.

View attachment 1590494
I have the big Shori @310 cca its is 3.1 pounds When I replace it ill go lighter .
Talked to Greg Hickman today Fernando ;) hes going to build me a arm when i'm ready at a very good price. No tank or under bracing 0 to 2" with no over hang like the 0 to 4" . I imagine that would be a 8 to 9 pound arm :)

I have the big Shori @310 cca its is 3.1 pounds When I replace it ill go lighter .
Talked to Greg Hickman today Fernando ;) hes going to build me a arm when i'm ready at a very good price. No tank or under bracing 0 to 2" with no over hang like the 0 to 4" . I imagine that would be a 8 to 9 pound arm :)
I'm glad for you buddy, Greg is the man!!

Back