Help with Retrofit

04LE

Registered
Hi guys starting a retrofit using mini H1 projector setup gen2. Running into some issues that i am hoping you can answer for me. The 1st picture i think i also need to take the dremel to get the hole a little wider so that that screw part can push through. I think that is the only hold up with that part.

Then the 3rd pic on the back side of that piece i have removed those fingers but the dome glass of the projector doesn't push through. Should i be taking the glass off and then putting that on the outside like how the factory projector was?

Haven't started the low beam yet but looks like i have to cut the shroud a bit to get it in there.

Thanks for any help!

-Tom

20181028_153122.jpg

20181028_153130.jpg

20181028_153244.jpg

So I grounded down the fingers even more and then also widened the opening for the projector and screw to slide through and I think it's all fitting as it should now.

20181029_183819.jpg

20181029_183758.jpg

20181030_200445.jpg

Looking good! You’ll like the light output on them. Just an FYI, when projectors are installed in the correctly position/orientation, the shutters or solenoids for the high beam on the bottom side of the projector. I made that mistake and had to take the out and turn them 180’ degrees to correct it.

Lucky for me these ones have a symbol on there for top lol. I hope I love the output, I'm doing the retro so that I'll want to ride at night. My new job is only 5 miles from my house and it's just not enough time on the Busa. Hoping this will allow me to enjoy riding at night.

So the new issue is the high low harness I have is not working. They've sent 2 of them and both are not sending power to the ballasts. I did manage to skip the harness and power directly to battery. Pics attached are from them turning on. Its DDM V3 projectors with 4500k bulbs. Pics were taken in day light but you can get an idea of the cutoff.

20181103_130042.jpg

20181103_130108.jpg

So the new issue is the high low harness I have is not working. They've sent 2 of them and both are not sending power to the ballasts. I did manage to skip the harness and power directly to battery. Pics attached are from them turning on. Its DDM V3 projectors with 4500k bulbs. Pics were taken in day light but you can get an idea of the cutoff.

View attachment 1587458

View attachment 1587459
Looks just like mine against the wall. That’s random to have 2 harnesses not working.

Looks just like mine against the wall. That’s random to have 2 harnesses not working.
Yeah really odd, the part that sends power to the high beam flap works but both the plugs to the ballast don't have power.

Here is what's happening with both my harnesses. Can see that the power is getting to the adapter for the high beam but the clip the ballast is getting no power.

20181104_155643.jpg

Wanted to see what the lights look like at night. These photos aren't doing it justice. Wow super impressed so far.
20181104_204419.jpg

20181104_204728.jpg

That is odd harness isnt' working. I'm running Morimoto dual motorcycle harness and love it. Also like how it waits about 5 or so seconds before igniting the ballasts so no wear and tear on them.

Figured out that I was being an idiot with the harness and not thinking clearly so I'm sure the first harness they sent worked as well. But took some shots with low beam and high beam. Then a shot to with some distance. The distance shot, when you look straight out there is a tree line that you can see, well I added a Google maps view of how far out that tree line is. Has the scale there but I also squared my neighbors cars as well to show the distance that the projector is throwing the light.

20181107_191023.jpg

20181107_191129.jpg

20181107_191313.jpg

Screenshot_20181107-193332_Gallery.jpg

Damn I'd pay for someone to do all this for me. I have no skill for that
Yeah what IR said. I did buy a spare headlight so when I replace my factory one I could grind that and sell. Then you can just pick whatever brand mini h1 projectors and hid kits.

One piece of advice is to buy an OEM headlight. it's way easier to adjust the headlight than the knockoffs that use a Phillips. I bought the latter and a year later I ended up getting a used OEM.

I wouldn't spend the money for Morimoto H1's, I'd buy the Amazon $30/pr ones. Not worth the extra money IMO. I do like the Morimoto control harness though since it has a delay to start bike before it ignites the bulbs.

Before and the after pics.

Del how did you run your hi/low harness? I was thinking of running that down the left side and mounting ballasts on the right but the one wire that needs to plug into the ballast wouldn't reach.

So then I was thinking all on the right side but then I'm going to run into issue with the high beam adapter not reaching to the projector.

So I might cut the power wire from the hi/low and extend it so I shouldn't have that issue. Let me know you you have any other ideas.

20181108_192218.jpg

20181108_192015.jpg

Back