Proud new owner with a question

MattyIce 79

Registered
Hello all! New to the site. Recently purchase a used 2012 with 5,200 miles, near mint condition. Bike has Yoshi slip ons but, previous owner suggested I change air filter sometime soon. Any suggestions for a good filter with max air flow? Thanks

Hello all! New to the site. Recently purchase a used 2012 with 5,200 miles, near mint condition. Bike has Yoshi slip ons but, previous owner suggested I change air filter sometime soon. Any suggestions for a good filter with max air flow? Thanks

Pics please...!! I was see an be jealous :)

BMC race filter for me.
Never done or will do anything else

I had a K&N and then a BMC Race.
The BMC Race is almost identical, only it's less than 2/3 as thick as the K&N.

As soon as I originally put the K&N in, I could hear a difference through the gas tank.
As it obviously flows more air.
To me, that is proof enough that an aftermarket filter can make more power when properly tuned, as more air/fuel in= more power out.
Years back there was a gen1 rumor that the stock filter made more power...I have yet to see any proof.

To our dyno tuners(not gonna call anyone out), but, if you guys ever get the time, would you do a before/after dyno tune with a stock vs aftermarket air filter? Please.

I'm also just talking numbers, not filtration.
As the thinner and more pourus the filter material is, the more air gets through, and so does more dirt.
So stock would have to filter better.

Regardless, unless you want every paper hp you can get, the real benefit of aftermarket filters is being reusable.

I had a K&N and then a BMC Race.
The BMC Race is almost identical, only it's less than 2/3 as thick as the K&N.

As soon as I originally put the K&N in, I could hear a difference through the gas tank.
As it obviously flows more air.
To me, that is proof enough that an aftermarket filter can make more power when properly tuned, as more air/fuel in= more power out.
Years back there was a gen1 rumor that the stock filter made more power...I have yet to see any proof.

To our dyno tuners(not gonna call anyone out), but, if you guys ever get the time, would you do a before/after dyno tune with a stock vs aftermarket air filter? Please.

I'm also just talking numbers, not filtration.
As the thinner and more pourus the filter material is, the more air gets through, and so does more dirt.
So stock would have to filter better.

Regardless, unless you want every paper hp you can get, the real benefit of aftermarket filters is being reusable.
I haven't done a direct comparison, but my stock motor bike with a stock filter runs as well as any other stock motor bike with aftermarket filter. My buddy's 1441 runs as well as mine; he has a stock filter and I have the BMC race.

Years ago I tried no filter and did not see an improvement.

All my references are to drag strip performance, not dyno numbers.

Just to be different DNA in my 08 maybe not as popular in the US as here ? similar to the K&N but IMO feels looks better quality than the K&N having said that I think the stock filter is also a fine product :thumbsup:

I know many of our vehicles overseas had K&N filters in them and we had zero issues with filtering even in the talcum powder dust. A rep from K&N came over to verify how they were performing and the results proved how good they did. The trick is to not over-oil and then run right away, they need to sit after oiling for a while (not sure how long) so the oil soaks into the filter material.

I haven't done a direct comparison, but my stock motor bike with a stock filter runs as well as any other stock motor bike with aftermarket filter. My buddy's 1441 runs as well as mine; he has a stock filter and I have the BMC race.

Years ago I tried no filter and did not see an improvement.

All my references are to drag strip performance, not dyno numbers.

I wouldn't expect a noticeable difference riding, just curious if it was measurable on paper, and I think it would be.
My seat of the pants dyno says that off idle throttle response is noticeably better, but nothing special.
The reusable part is what sells me.

I’m no expert but I’ve been a K&N fan since my teenage years (25 years of seeing ads). Honestly I just R&R’d the filter on my new to me ‘99- the thing is huge. I would say the filter has more area than the one on my VW GTI which leads me to believe a stock one is just fine on a stock motor. The reusability is a good point though- and you get a sweet sticker for the tool box.

She’s pretty clean for a 2012!

7A22DE24-A8F1-4E35-AD5B-692AA9E00623.jpeg

Back