best clutch setup for LSR and street

Hays convertible clutch, it will do it all.

You are correct, and as nice as that is, you can still only use it one way. A Hays convertible clutch set up as a multistage is the way to go, or the MTC multistage - which is less complicated, and has been used for years in both street bikes and low seven second shootout bikes. A street bike would not benefit from a slipper of any kind.

That sound cool! which model MTC? less complicated the better! I don't have to leave the line to hard and the tracksion is not good at Mojave air field no rubber till later into the event, Thanks Frank............

That sound cool! which model MTC? less complicated the better! I don't have to leave the line to hard and the tracksion is not good at Mojave air field no rubber till later into the event, Thanks Frank............

The older style MTC multistage has been used successfully for several years, and you would not need to change the outer clutch basket. You do need to change to the inner, billet hub, however. This means you could always easily put the clutch setup back to stock at a later date. The older style multistage uses transmission rpm to "lockup" as the lockup side of it runs off the input shaft. Many racers have set records with this clutch, which is totally compatible on a street bike. The newer style "Gen II" MTC multistage uses a slider-style outer basket - an extra component to buy, another 400+ dollars, but has the advantage of locking up according to engine rpm. For drag racing, it means more consistent runs, as the lockup function is not dependent on what the transmission is doing.
The Gen II version is relatively new, I have not raced with it personally, but have heard positive comments about it. Hopefully, someone on this board can chime in about the latter version of MTC's multistage.

$$ wise and streetablity, I agree with the MTC Multi.

Had one on my last bike and it was perfect on the street, light lever pull and great at the track, once set up......

Check out these articles to get you up to speed on Multi stage clutches:

:: DRAGBIKE.COM :: DRAGBIKE MAGAZINE :: The Hayabusa Clutch: Part 1 of 3 ::
:: DRAGBIKE.COM :: DRAGBIKE MAGAZINE :: The Hayabusa Clutch: Part 2 of 3 ::
:: DRAGBIKE.COM :: DRAGBIKE MAGAZINE :: The Hayabusa Clutch: Part 3 of 3 ::

Powerhouse, I always enjoy reading your insights into the performance improvements of the Hayabusa. I am curious as to why you feel the MTC is less complicated then the Hays Multi-stage? Admittedly, I am a new convert to the multi-stage world and chose to work with the Hays as my introduction to it. I found it easy to work with and went through minimal set-up to race.

Why would you want to use a multi stage lockup or slider for LSR and street , neither application needs the functions these perform

If you don't mind a heavy lever just use the "turbo " style clutch springs RCC and others sell , or for a lighter clutch a single stage lockup
Both will give the force required to hold the clutch and otherwise operate like a normal clutch

Check out these articles to get you up to speed on Multi stage clutches:

:: DRAGBIKE.COM :: DRAGBIKE MAGAZINE :: The Hayabusa Clutch: Part 1 of 3 ::
:: DRAGBIKE.COM :: DRAGBIKE MAGAZINE :: The Hayabusa Clutch: Part 2 of 3 ::
:: DRAGBIKE.COM :: DRAGBIKE MAGAZINE :: The Hayabusa Clutch: Part 3 of 3 ::

Powerhouse, I always enjoy reading your insights into the performance improvements of the Hayabusa. I am curious as to why you feel the MTC is less complicated then the Hays Multi-stage? Admittedly, I am a new convert to the multi-stage world and chose to work with the Hays as my introduction to it. I found it easy to work with and went through minimal set-up to race.

Hey Paul - I guess I should have worded it slightly different. The Hays convertible is innovative, in that it has the ability to be a single stage lockup, multistage lockup. or a slider. A single stage lockup is not as good as a multistage as far as dragracing is concerned, and for LSR and/or street riding, you sure don't want a slider. So the other things that the Hays does is not needed in this application. The MTC is simpler in design, and cheaper. But for those guys that are hardcore, the Hays can definately do more, and is a great choice . . .

Why would you want to use a multi stage lockup or slider for LSR and street , neither application needs the functions these perform

If you don't mind a heavy lever just use the "turbo " style clutch springs RCC and others sell , or for a lighter clutch a single stage lockup
Both will give the force required to hold the clutch and otherwise operate like a normal clutch

Oz is correct.

If we are going to use simplicity as a selling point, it doesnt get any simpler than a single stage.

Thats what im looking for, A lighter lever so it's more streetable when caught in traffic, I have the 20lbs springs in it now but will have to go high later with the added HP, I don't want to change out springs bettween events, so the single stage sounds like the way to go?

Thats what im looking for, A lighter lever so it's more streetable when caught in traffic, I have the 20lbs springs in it now but will have to go high later with the added HP, I don't want to change out springs bettween events, so the single stage sounds like the way to go?

I also agree with OZ - but only if no dragracing is in your plans. If it is, the multistage will work better. The single stage will indeed give you a lighter lever, and "lock" the clutch when the big hp hits . . . and yes, it is the simplest of all of them . . .:laugh:

Hey Paul - I guess I should have worded it slightly different. The Hays convertible is innovative, in that it has the ability to be a single stage lockup, multistage lockup. or a slider. A single stage lockup is not as good as a multistage as far as dragracing is concerned, and for LSR and/or street riding, you sure don't want a slider. So the other things that the Hays does is not needed in this application. The MTC is simpler in design, and cheaper. But for those guys that are hardcore, the Hays can definately do more, and is a great choice . . .

Understood. Makes sense, why use equipment to hunt for bear when your game is a prarie dog?

this is a old post just want to know if there new technology on a street clutch set ups, I need to upgrade my old stock street clutch with a lot of miles on it. would you replace a new billet clutch basket with heaver springs or go with a new mtc multi stage clutch ?

this is a old post just want to know if there new technology on a street clutch set ups, I need to upgrade my old stock street clutch with a lot of miles on it. would you replace a new billet clutch basket with heaver springs or go with a new mtc multi stage clutch ?
Hi. This is what I will be using the MTC Gen 2. How much money do you want to spend? My clutch set up will be over $3,000.00 the trans also over $3,000.00. I will be doimg LST, Drags and street.

Back