2007 starts...sometimes

Bobby914

Registered
Working on a buddies bike. wouldnt start so I coded it....got C11 camshaft position sensor. Cool got one replaced it it started 3 times then wouild just load up with gas. finally got it to start got blinking FI light coded it again got C11 with the new sensor in. I fanally got it to run with no codes but still hard starting and strong gas smell. unplugged the pc5 and the same thing but still no codes...HELP!

Check wiring at, to, and from sensor for broken/frayed/exposed/shorted to ground...
Download the service manual and follow it but in the meantime here is two pages that may help
Screenshot_20180831-010918_SlideShare.jpg
Screenshot_20180831-010942_SlideShare.jpg

I'll be up an around. But there's not much else I can do for ya.
U may have to split a loom but the cam sensor is just two wires straight to ecm (1 brown, 1 black/yellow.
Pin 37 (Black/Yellow) on ECM is Cam+, Pin 44 is cam negative (Brown).
All I can say is if u have to split the harness, remove the fuel tank and its mount completely. It will save u headache.
Before pulling apart tho first check around the battery tho where the 2 large ECM loom leads loop down towards front of bike. Potential for chaffing there. And also right near the sensor itself.

Wait, if u got no codes u may need to just let the fuel purge out for a couple minutes lol
Also check the vacuum line to the airbox. That b****h had me tripping once

I'll be up an around. But there's not much else I can do for ya.
U may have to split a loom but the cam sensor is just two wires straight to ecm (1 brown, 1 black/yellow.
Pin 37 (Black/Yellow) on ECM is Cam+, Pin 44 is cam negative (Brown).
All I can say is if u have to split the harness, remove the fuel tank and its mount completely. It will save u headache.
Before pulling apart tho first check around the battery tho where the 2 large ECM loom leads loop down towards front of bike. Potential for chaffing there. And also right near the sensor itself.
Extremely good advice there Fast-pace, I would also be checking continuity between the Cam sensor wiring (both wires) and the ECM harness plug at the corresponding connectors.
As you said, there may be damage/chaffing causing a corrupted signal and consequent poor running/excessive fueling/hard starting.
I doubt the sensor itself has a fault after replacement failed to remedy the issue.
I guess if the wiring checks out ok, next step will be to swap out the ECM with a known good one.

Ya try ur own ecm.
I bet its something completely unrelated to CMPS tho if any lasting problem at all. Doesn't feel electrical anymore.

I once overfueled Athena and she didn't like me for about 15 seconds lol I had idle up pretty good and once she cleared she ran up to like 4500 Haha she hasnt had a reason to yell at me since.

Also I once almost tore the entire thing down TWICE trying to figure out why she ran like poop! Turns out the vacuum line to middle of airbox was unplugged! Good thing the box is the first thing to come off and I noticed or else I would have been chasing a non-existant ghost lol
Sry for novel here, hope u find the problem man.

Maybe give us some more symptoms if she hasnt cleared soon. Mechanical stuff sucks to diagnose more than electrical so hopefully she was running fine before the first C11 code.

Extremely good advice there Fast-pace, I would also be checking continuity between the Cam sensor wiring (both wires) and the ECM harness plug at the corresponding connectors.
As you said, there may be damage/chaffing causing a corrupted signal and consequent poor running/excessive fueling/hard starting.
I doubt the sensor itself has a fault after replacement failed to remedy the issue.
I guess if the wiring checks out ok, next step will be to swap out the ECM with a known good one.

I love how u can tell Kiwi is an auto mechanic by trade lol
Little bit of 'official RO diagnostic manners' mixed with 'kickin it with the guys' lol
I've written service for years and I'd love u to tech for me KIWI lol

Anyway. Good luck Bobby

Back