Are HID’s still the best option for headlights

Apart from trimming the rubber boot a little, none. Need to follow the directions and make sure the units are mounted sideways for correct beam pattern. What they supply is designed to mimic a standard halogen type globe reflection.
As I mentioned, I have used them on my last few bikes. As I'm in Australia, they cost a fair amount to get them here, but there is nothing here available that is within the quality and performance

And with our crap roads and wandering nighttime wildlife, it's the best I have found without going auxiliary lights
Got the LEDs in. Low beam was disappointing, high beam is amazing. Good spread to the sides on the low beam though, definitely a plus. I need to level them out and get a good beam pattern. Question how did you attach the retaining clip? I cant figure out how to do it on the low beam. Also how did you trim the boot? how do I still keep it waterproof?

Got the LEDs in. Low beam was disappointing, high beam is amazing. Good spread to the sides on the low beam though, definitely a plus. I need to level them out and get a good beam pattern. Question how did you attach the retaining clip? I cant figure out how to do it on the low beam. Also how did you trim the boot? how do I still keep it waterproof?

If your kit is anything like mine, put the base on first and clamp down the retaining clip. Then insert the bulb assembly.

If your kit is anything like mine, put the base on first and clamp down the retaining clip. Then insert the bulb assembly.
Yeah I finally figured that out after looking at other motorcycles installation. Some instructions in the box would have been helpful. I had no idea the bulb and retaining ring separated. I'll probably do a write up. I can't be the only fool out there hahahaha.

Apologies, I have been away overseas for work and limited data coverage.

I can't remember at this moment, but when I'm back home in a couple of weeks, I'll check and grab a couple of pics and post here.
Apologise for delayed response.

Apologies, I have been away overseas for work and limited data coverage.

I can't remember at this moment, but when I'm back home in a couple of weeks, I'll check and grab a couple of pics and post here.
Apologise for delayed response.
No worries. For now I threaded the cable thru the boot and closed it up with electrical tape. Great light output btw. From the center lane I can light up all the way to the bushes on either side and easily over a 100 feet ahead. I'll see if I can get good pics to post. Never felt so safe riding fast on the highway whole looking out for deer.

I'll prob post a thread (depending on when wife give me the projectors) for the DDM V3 bi-xenon projectors retrofit I'm doing. Both high and low locations are getting them so I'll have 2 low beams and then an actuator opens them more for high beam.

In my oppinion yes. got mine a couple of weeks ago. That difference though...
20181013-185943.jpg

I'll be getting an LED for my high beam soon. I'll post my results.
Bumping an old thread as I just went thru some of this.

Running HID lows on my Gen1 for last couple years and I love em.

Ive gone as far as adding an external switch and relay to have the HID off at start up. The ballast, bike and battery was happier this way.

Its nice having the HID off at startup, even more so now that im running a big bore 1397 and my starter is wired for 24v with another battery in my hump.

Back on the topic... Wont go HID highs as I want instant on.

I tried PIAA xtreme halogen highs, that was a tiny bit better than stock halogen. Based on others reviews, I was expecting alot more!

Installed LED highs tonight and I am a happy camper. Massive improvement over stock or PIAA. I recommed this for anyone still stock, its worth the $ and easy install.

Always need more light. Going to external fork mounted lights next...

Ive gone as far as adding an external switch and relay to have the HID off at start up. The ballast, bike and battery was happier this way.

Its nice having the HID off at startup, even more so now that im running a big bore 1397 and my starter is wired for 24v with another battery in my hump.

I tried PIAA xtreme halogen highs, that was a tiny bit better than stock halogen. Based on others reviews, I was expecting alot more!

Installed LED highs tonight and I am a happy camper. Massive improvement over stock or PIAA. I recommed this for anyone still stock, its worth the $ and easy install.

Any links or info on the bulbs you used?? Any issue with getting them to fit in place?

Not sure if this works with gen1s but if you hold the start button, then turn key on your HID shouldn't ever startup. Then you now grab the clutch and the bike starts.

If you do a retrofit with bi-xenon projectos you could have both locations running hid at same time. I hit a button a flap opens an allows more light out. Basically think of the sharp cutoff you have with projectors when I turn highs on or the flash to pass button that cutoff is no longer there and all the light passes through.

Not sure if this works with gen1s but if you hold the start button, then turn key on your HID shouldn't ever startup. Then you now grab the clutch and the bike starts.

If you do a retrofit with bi-xenon projectos you could have both locations running hid at same time. I hit a button a flap opens an allows more light out. Basically think of the sharp cutoff you have with projectors when I turn highs on or the flash to pass button that cutoff is no longer there and all the light passes through.
Do you have any issues with your dash resetting with the hid's hooked up?? I couldn't keep my clock set and was near impossible to get the shift light set and when I did it might last a week or a day but it would eventually reset on me no matter if I used the starter button trick or not. A couple of times when I had both lights with hid's I accidentally hit the flash button and it caused it to reset while I was driving. I ended up going back to the stock bulb till I can find an led to try.

Do you have any issues with your dash resetting with the hid's hooked up?? I couldn't keep my clock set and was near impossible to get the shift light set and when I did it might last a week or a day but it would eventually reset on me no matter if I used the starter button trick or not. A couple of times when I had both lights with hid's I accidentally hit the flash button and it caused it to reset while I was driving. I ended up going back to the stock bulb till I can find an led to try.
There is a fix for this. I had the same problem. IIRC it is a relay install that solved it. Do a search. It's been awhile but it once upon a time was covered thoroughly.

I dont have any issues. Both my ballasts are mounted on the throttle side ram air tube. Both are 55w too

Can't find the thread but I had the relay wired into my HIDs. Gave you a few seconds before they tapped the battery for a startup jolt. They were brighter but I got tired of failing inspections or hitting the flash button and nothing happening for a few seconds. I switched back to the PIAA's which I actually like better even though they aren't as bright. The PIAAs use the reflectors in the way they were intended to work and your light is a combination of ultimate brightness and reflection - my high beam was nearly useless with the HID setup. So I know this is an unpopular position but I don't really ride fast at night, so even the OEMs work. I think if you want more light for better night vision and visibility, accessory lighting is the way to go. They aren't cheap (good reliable ones that is) but some LEDs mounted either on the front wheel or on the sliders and angled slightly outward from center will give you a massively improved spread of light. Also, this is by far the best improvement in night vision on the sides, where the animal threats lurk.

Edit: Oops I see this has all been covered here! Anyway this is the thread I show the HID install with delay: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/threads/more-electrical-upgrades.145823/

Last edited:
Back