Engine is out.

Down in New Bedford/Dartmouth area. Talked to John today. We are gonna try to get the bike up there soon. Michael is going to let me try a Gen 1 ECU tomorrow so we can rule that out. I hope it is that honestly.

Took out my engine out of the 2004 today. A lot easier than I expected. Hardest part was making the damn tools to take it out. Had to run to Lowes right in the middle as my dremel decided it would be fun to shoot my cutting wheel and mandrel across the room. Couldnt find that thing anywhere.

Next up a quick visit to GixerHp on Saturday to grab some goodies, then a rebuild.View attachment 1579688View attachment 1579689
How did your buid turnout?

Well, borrowed an ECU from Mike, and........nothing. No difference from my ECU. I guess thats good and bad....So I can rule that out. The search continues.. Big thanks to Mike for letting me try his ECU.

Tested cranking voltage at the coils, and still unable to get any voltage to show up. Pulled the plug off the coil, and it shows zero on both wires while cranking. Did it on number 1 and number 2 and zero.

Going to do all the testing in the manual related to the coils and the CPS tonight or in the am. Tired of not being able to ride this beast.

Last edited:
Well, borrowed an ECU from Mike, and........nothing. No difference from my ECU. I guess thats good and bad....So I can rule that out. The search continues.. Big thanks to Mike for letting me try his ECU.
So have you tried spraying fuel directly into the intake while cranking?
Because the way I see it, you have compression so it's either a fuel (possibly at the wrong timing), or spark(possibly at the wrong timing) problem.
Also, check fuel pressure, it may not be enough to spray the fuel out of the injectors causing the no-go condition.
The other thing that controls the fueling (apart from the ECU) is the coolant temp sensor and the IAP sensor
Here's the test for the IAP . . .

IMG_2198.JPG

IMG_2200.JPG

IMG_2201.JPG

IMG_2202.JPG

IMG_2203.JPG

It sprays fuel. I can see it spray in the intake. And yes, I tried starting fluid directly in there and nothing. I am leaning towards the spark issue at this point. Testing everything according to the manual tonight. I'm going to track this down.

Ok here i have admit here, i cause this problem, When i removed the degree wheel i Never re torqued the fly wheel bolt.
I have been racking my brain of why the bike wouldn't run, and i thought long and hard and remember that this evening on my way to work.
So called Greg, and i was correct,, the Bike is now Running! ,,,
So sorry for my mistake, and wasted time Greg!

Ok here i have admit here, i cause this problem, When i removed the degree wheel i Never re torqued the fly wheel bolt.
I have been racking my brain of why the bike wouldn't run, and i thought long and hard and remember that this evening on my way to work.
So called Greg, and i was correct,, the Bike is now Running! ,,,
So sorry for my mistake, and wasted time Greg!
Yeeeehaaaaa!! Mystery solved!
That's awesome that you remembered that and that you manned up about it and admitted fault. . . yeah I made a mistake once, it was in June 1974 from memory :rolleyes:
So the spark timing was a mile out then? It all came down to that in my thinking too. . . don't worry man, I have also been racking my brains too lol.

Back