Handle bar shaking

BravoZulu1

Registered
I rode with a Harley group and two of the members were talking about stability problems over 80 MPH and the other over 100 MPH. Both seemed to have shaking in the handlebars. He was explaining how he had to apply pressure to the handle bars to stop the wobbles. Is it the frame weak and flexing? The steering head loose?

Why is the Hayabusa rock solid at any speed ? Is the frame just stronger?

I rode with a Harley group and two of the members were talking about stability problems over 80 MPH and the other over 100 MPH. Both seemed to have shaking in the handlebars. He was explaining how he had to apply pressure to the handle bars to stop the wobbles. Is it the frame weak and flexing? The steering head loose?
A bit much weight over the back end and not anywhere near enough over the front ?
Tyre pressures wrong ?
Nature of the pig :poke:

The birds damper does not Prevent this . It aids in reducing felt instability . The Hayabusa along with a few other high speed super bikes are all designed to be HIGH SPEED STABLE . The HD well its a 1900 design with a engine designed to pump water into the farming fields with NEW CHROME .
Ever heard of the 100 mph club in HD world ? Yep if your HD will go 100 mph its something special ( to them)

I have not had any issues with my later Harley's. The frames on the softails were redesigned for 2018 (monoshock). The Touring frame was redesigned in 2009. The newer ones handle much better. HD's just are not high speed bikes...although I saw a guy the other day cruising about 90 on one.

1532971055237.png

Harley is working on some sport bikes.
https://www.hotbikeweb.com/harley-d...22f&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

The birds damper does not Prevent this . It aids in reducing felt instability . The Hayabusa along with a few other high speed super bikes are all designed to be HIGH SPEED STABLE . The HD well its a 1900 design with a engine designed to pump water into the farming fields with NEW CHROME .
Ever heard of the 100 mph club in HD world ? Yep if your HD will go 100 mph its something special ( to them)

No way! The 100 mph club? I just did that last night... lol. I'M IN THE CLUB!!!!

Hahahahahahaha!!! Nice one mate lmfao! :D

This is exactly why the Harley guys NEVER wave back if you wave to them . . they don't wanna crash . . . . . and I used to think they were just being arrogant elitists ha!
Harley guys remind me of inbred country folk like the ones in the movie WRONG TURN... jk…. but really though they do act like those backwards country folk.... not very welcoming to newcomers......

If applying pressure to the bars solves the wobble I’d say the steering head bearings need adjusting. This is not solely a Harley issue although they may have more problems than other makes. Harley frames are steel so flexing shouldn’t be present. The Busa is stable at speed for several reasons, wheelbase length, aerodynamics, weight and manageable power.

Most all Harley peeps wave to me first or after I do in my area. I also wave to sport bikes when riding my Harley.

My 18 Low Rider is stable as can be at speed. My Road King I just traded in was the same. I have not experienced the "Death Wobble" on any or my Harley's.

I have been riding for 44 years. I started with dirt bikes, then sport bikes, Harley and back to sport bikes.

There are a lot of rednecks around here that ride sport bikes! Maybe some on here too! :D

If applying pressure to the bars solves the wobble I’d say the steering head bearings need adjusting. This is not solely a Harley issue although they may have more problems than other makes. Harley frames are steel so flexing shouldn’t be present. The Busa is stable at speed for several reasons, wheelbase length, aerodynamics, weight and manageable power.
And not forgetting chassis stiffness/rigidity.

Sold my Harley and never had this issue, but as I don't allow anyone else to touch my bikes, I came across this in the service manual.

Harley has a chassis stabilizer and they recommend that this is serviced and checked only by an authorized Harley dealer. It is a critical adjustment and if not within spec, you will get tank slappers.

The stock setup takes care of this if it is adjusted correctly, but here is an aftermarket company trying to make money doing the same thing. Anyway it explains what I am trying to explain in the linky.

In short, if the rider is not a good mechanic, best is to take the bike back to the dealer.

Hahahahahahaha!!! Nice one mate lmfao! :D

This is exactly why the Harley guys NEVER wave back if you wave to them . . they don't wanna crash . . . . . and I used to think they were just being arrogant elitists ha!

They don't want to crash? LOL!

In Chicago I would say 98% wave first or wave back to me.

The HD thing is called the "death-wobble" and is well known in HD circles (did someone already say this?). A lot of guys who used to ride HD with no gear are riding Indians and Victories now in full gear because of it, lol! It is apparently a resonance in the weak frame that can be excited by certain moves and it progresses to complete instability. Must be quite a ride. Totally due to weak engineering standards. I'm told this has been fixed however. Unfortunately, according to the dealer, there are a lot of old HD's out there so the myth is going to be perpetuated long after it's been fixed.

But this is not limited to HD's peeps! Remember the widow-maker? The Suzuki TL1000 had a mean wobble that claimed many unsuspecting riders. Apparently that bike could actually rip the steering damper off the bike in a shake!

The Busa also has a head shaking reputation. This is mainly because the front lifts slightly without the rider knowing under hard acceleration. The front then comes down slightly off center at 90+ mph and sets off a wobble stronger than Ex-lax. Fortunately from what I have heard and experienced, the Busa one while a bit scary, will resolve itself if you don't panic.

It amazes me how people just assume they can do whatever on any bike. Isn't it obvious a HD is not made to go 150 MPH? They are having trouble with BMW's wobbling with the top cases about 120 mph. To BMW's credit, they do limit the bikes with cases to 110 or so. But people are complaining. I have pissed more than one BMW guy off by simply saying, "well you can get there fast or you can get there comfortable. Busa is as close as it gets to doing both."

Back